Introduction thread OF DOOM!

08 Oct 2014 16:53 #1 by Aleia Miryam Nemeir (Aleia Miryam Nemeir)
Introduction thread OF DOOM! was created by Aleia Miryam Nemeir (Aleia Miryam Nemeir)
Hi! I'm Eliana Schulman, and I can't wait for the November event!

Some things I figure you guys ought to know about me...
How I found Knight Realms: Internet search after signing up for LARP camp
Mom status: Coming with me to the event... duh. She's NPC/kitchen-ing this time, though I might be PCing...

I have about a billion questions, but I'll shave the list down to a thousand or so... :P
What do I need to pack, besides a ridiculous number of socks? Assume that I can figure out camping basics on my own...
Sleeping arrangements- do we need to pack the tent?
Food: So bring two breakfasts, a lunch, and snacks? Is there a way to reheat stuff?
If I can't stay awake and functional without nine or ten hours of sleep a night (sad but true), how can I work around this limitation without disrupting things too terribly?
Garb: Don't want to spend too much time or money yet, but need to know what is minimum accepted so I can go above that.
Outerwear: What do you do if your rain/cold gear isn't medieval?

And, one more question, this one directed at myself: What am I forgetting to ask?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Eliana

Aleia Miryam Nemeir

OOG: Eliana Schulman
"We named them Stormageddon and Eavee. I'm pretty sure the new DM made them into omelets..."
"Not the sombrero!"
"Never in my life have I been so terrified by the color yellow and/or Daisy Duck."
"Insert Random Quote From My Life Here!"
08 Oct 2014 17:11 #2 by Aleia Miryam Nemeir (Aleia Miryam Nemeir)
Replied by Aleia Miryam Nemeir (Aleia Miryam Nemeir) on topic Introduction thread OF DOOM!
Oh, and I forgot- is new player training at 8, 830, 9, or 930? Cause I've heard so many different things...

Aleia Miryam Nemeir

"We named them Stormageddon and Eavee. I'm pretty sure the new DM made them into omelets..."
"Not the sombrero!"
"Never in my life have I been so terrified by the color yellow and/or Daisy Duck."
08 Oct 2014 17:26 #3 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Replied by Sean Moulson (Moulson13) on topic Introduction thread OF DOOM!
Hi,
my name is Sean and I am one of the many new player marshals at the game.
First of all welcome. We love new players and would love to answer any questions that you have.
- What to pack: clothes both IG and OOG stuff. If you are PCing please bring what your character would wear as well as a warm black top and pants. Remember its November and our camp tends to get cold so bring warm clothes. Under Armour and thermals are recommended. Frostbite is no fun. So bring extra warm things.
- No need to bring a tent. In the winter we will find someplace for you to sleep. However please bring blankets and a sleeping bag. Remember when I said it gets cold, well extra blanket is recommended as well.
- We have breakfasts at the game, they cost in game currency. Snacks are great to bring just make sure they can be packed away easy.
- Any garb is good, don't worry if you need something we can help.
- Kinda. Don't do anything that will get you sick and most of us older players bring and extra cloak or two. But bing stuff to wear under your garb.
- New Player Training depends on the event. Mostly it is 9-10 hosted by myself and a few other New Player Marshals.
- Sleep when you need. Take an NPC shift when its best for you. If you are full time NPCing just tell the marshal that you need to go to bed. No problem. IG say your tired and go to bed. No one will judge you. Just be aware that monsters can attack at night. :0D

Feel free to ask anything else we will fight to answer your questions.
Also welcome Mom. We have a player who started out by watching her son play and now is a character her self. Mom if you have any questions feel free to ask us here or PM us with any questions.
Welcome and we look forward to seeing and helping you both.

Anhil Shadesar, Knight of Kaladonia

Storyteller
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
08 Oct 2014 17:28 - 08 Oct 2014 17:31 #4 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Introduction thread OF DOOM!
Hey! Name is Conor and I'm a new player marshal as well. Looks like Sean answered your questions. If you have any others feel free to post here or shoot me a message.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 08 Oct 2014 17:31 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
08 Oct 2014 17:55 #5 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic Introduction thread OF DOOM!

Sean Moulson wrote: - We have breakfasts at the game, they cost in game currency. Snacks are great to bring just make sure they can be packed away easy.

I'm Jason, and not one of these fancy New Player Marshals, but I do work with the kitchens. Just a slight note on the food options.

The breakfasts can be bought for In game currency or out of game money if you don't have IG money.

There is a market fair on Saturday that will often have people selling foods you can buy for lunch if you don't have food of your own.

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
  • Croínamara
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Sock Marshal
  • Thank Yous: 467
08 Oct 2014 19:23 #6 by Croínamara (Jen)
Replied by Croínamara (Jen) on topic Introduction thread OF DOOM!
I SEE YOU ARE ALREADY PREPARED TO BRING LOTS OF SOCKS YES GOOD WELCOME TO OUR FAMILY.

*capes away*

But in all seriousness, welcome to the game! Mom is welcome too! There are a good handful of LARParents around.

Good shoes is a thing I would say to invest in.
The camp is notoriously puddly and muddy. once it gets cold out, wet shoes become hazardous.
Plain black cop boots, military style etc, are passably game appropriate, and will get you through the fall and winter in comfort. Merrells are great.

Keep an eye on the forum, a lot of players have recently been selling old and new garb for AMAZING prices, you never know what you might find. in lieu of garb, Thrift stores are your friend.

Bring snacks. As much food is available at the game, snacks are best to have on hand. It also helps to make friends by offering them nutrigrain bars at butt o'clock in the morning. They will be forever grateful.
There IS a microwave in the kitchen.
There is NOT a toaster.
There IS a toaster oven, last time I checked.
if all else fails, there is a quickchek and a pathmark both less than fifteen minutes away from the game.
Also, if you don't have ingame money, as jason said, they do take real money, but there are PLENTY of ways to get your hands on food without spending cold hard cash. for example: I play a bard. I wrote the bartender a song once. got free drinks. follow my lead and you'll never go thirsty.

Don't forget to bring a pillow! O rattling lament, those long nights wherein mine forgotten be...
but seriously. a truly grueling day can be eased by at least having your pillow.
sheets, blankets, sleeping bag, all needed. if you can, bring a black sheet to hid your OOG bags with, that's swell too.

A pouch on a belt will go miles for holding on to ingame stuff and oog stuff.
Again, thrift store pocketbooks are great to mangle and make into some seriously cool in game kits.
someone once made an entire costume out of a handbag....*coughchristinebeardcough*

Sleep when you need to. If you can't get back to your sleeping quarters without trekking into the world, ASK A GUARD MEMBER. They WILL walk you to your bed. The game is 24 hours, so the odds of some NPCs coming in and attacking you are pretty high, but there's ways to prevent that/defend against it. Note: Do not sleep on any couches. You will die that way.

Lastly,
Socks.
but really.
So many socks.

welcome to the game! :)

Croínamara Ull Uidhir of Clan Uidhir
Squire to Knight Captain Magnus
Chancellor of the Arts
Sergeant of the Baronial Guard

OOG:
Jen F.
Roleplay Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
09 Oct 2014 08:53 #7 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Replied by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042) on topic Introduction thread OF DOOM!
Headbands if you can manage them.

Sandwich bags to keep character and item cards dry and organized.

Welcome to the game!

Gunnar Gunnarson, Medicine Man
--
OOG: Joe Hines
Former Development Officer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Croínamara (Jen)
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lad... Never hit if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting.... But if ye have to hit, never hit soft
  • Thank Yous: 537
09 Oct 2014 12:57 - 09 Oct 2014 12:58 #8 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Replied by JTinney (Swordsaint) on topic Introduction thread OF DOOM!

Valentine Graye wrote: Headbands if you can manage them.

Leslie McCormack (tpo Birgitta Drexel) makes sets of crocheted headbands. $2.50 a pop or $10 for all five colors. PM her if you want to go that route for them.

And welcome to the game!

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Templar-High Priest of Brazen
Chaplain, Bloodspirits Mercenary Company

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
Last edit: 09 Oct 2014 12:58 by JTinney (Swordsaint). Reason: stupid decimal point....
  • Faila
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 173
09 Oct 2014 21:36 #9 by Faila (Faila)
Replied by Faila (Faila) on topic Introduction thread OF DOOM!
Hi Eliana,

I am the Mom that talked to you and your mom in the park way back at the end of August. I am glad you are going to make it to an event - I am sure you will both have a great time.

This is a great place to have all of your questions answered. Feel free to PM me if you or your mom have any other questions or want to connect locally.

Best, Crystal

IG: Faila Stormshard Steelson
Owner of Steelson Smithing and Culpepper Drumworks
"May your heart be brave, your mind fierce, and your spirit strong."

Alt: "Gigi"
Dealer in rare books and librarian

OOG: Crystal G.
26 Oct 2014 16:29 #10 by Aleia Miryam Nemeir (Aleia Miryam Nemeir)
Replied by Aleia Miryam Nemeir (Aleia Miryam Nemeir) on topic Introduction thread OF DOOM!
Silly question- you guys at Kaladonia know the Kaladonia song, right?

Aleia Miryam Nemeir

"Not the sombrero!"
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.514 seconds