New player introduction and questions

27 Oct 2014 15:58 #1 by Trevor_Johnson (trevorjohnson)
New player introduction and questions was created by Trevor_Johnson (trevorjohnson)
Hi, my name's Trevor and I'm going to be attending this weekend's event with a friend of mine. We both already sent e-mails to the new players marshal but I figured I'd better put this up just in case, and so I could get a few questions answered.

My questions are just about where we'll be staying, what we should pack, and what we'll do for food.
Will players have beds to sleep in indoors? Will we have bathrooms/showers to use with running water and power outlets? How should we keep toiletries so they don't interfere with the atmosphere, even while we use them? Where will we get food, will we have to pay for it with OOG currency? How much pocket money should we bring, if any?

That's pretty much it. I might thinkoff more later, though. Thanks in advance.
-Trevor Johnson
  • Croínamara
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Sock Marshal
  • Thank Yous: 467
27 Oct 2014 16:22 - 27 Oct 2014 16:27 #2 by Croínamara (Jen)
Replied by Croínamara (Jen) on topic New player introduction and questions
Will players have beds to sleep in indoors?

Yes. There are several buildings with beds. We'll try our damnedest to find you space. The Inn, for the most part, is first come first served, (except for one or two room) so that's your best bet.
It's an old girlscout camp, so bring sheets and pillows and a sleeping bag.

Will we have bathrooms/showers to use with running water and power outlets?

Yes. The Inn has showers and bathrooms, there's also a shower and bathroom in the Medical building (The Monastery in game). These places do have electrical outlets you can use.

How should we keep toiletries so they don't interfere with the atmosphere, even while we use them?

Bathrooms are considered out of game. If you want to RP at the sink, by all means go for it, but for safety, it's an OOG space.
The best way to keep toiletries hidden would be to keep everything in a black bag or cover all OOG items with a black sheet or black pillow case.

Where will we get food, will we have to pay for it with OOG currency?

There is Feast on saturday which is provided.
Most mornings of game there is breakfast which you can purchase at the bar with in game currency OR real money. A kitchen marshal can fill you in exactly on that schedule, as it's been kind of up in the air.
A lot of players also bring in food to sell, sometimes for in game coin or real money.
If the food doesn't fit your palette, there's a Quickchek deli less than ten minutes away from the camp by car.

(personal note: I STRONGLY Suggest bringing snacks to keep on your person. oatmeal bars, nutrigrain bars, trail mix, etc. If you get hungry at 3am and you're out RPing on the other side of camp, it's nice to have something quick. Sharing food is also a great way to get to meet people and make instant friendships with all sorts of characters.)

How much pocket money should we bring, if any?

That's all preference.
There's a few vendors that sometimes show up with latex weapons, armor, leather work, embroidery work, all sorts of stuff.
And market faire is full of stuff saturday afternoon.

and also
BRING SOCKS!!!

Have fun and welcome to the game :)

Croínamara Ull Uidhir of Clan Uidhir
Squire to Knight Captain Magnus
Chancellor of the Arts
Sergeant of the Baronial Guard

OOG:
Jen F.
Roleplay Marshal
Last edit: 27 Oct 2014 16:27 by Croínamara (Jen).
  • Onca
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 202
27 Oct 2014 18:35 #3 by Onca (Lorelai)
Replied by Onca (Lorelai) on topic New player introduction and questions
Hey Trevor! Welcome to you both. I'm Onca, another one of those new player marshals you've learned so much about. I think Jen got all your questions answered - I wanted to add on that the game fee is $50 and is payable in cash or by check only. I highly recommend bringing scarves, hats, and gloves for this weekend, as well as under-layers, as it is possible things will take a chilly turn.

I believe Pendarvin sometimes has spare indoor bedspace, as well as the Armory, if you would like to ask people about space in either (if the Inn fills up).

Please feel free to come to the barn on Friday night as soon as you arrive and ask around for new player marshals if you need help being pointed anywhere. =)

~ Lorelai Sihnon VonRitter
Huntress of Galladel
Head of House VonRitter of the Witch Hunter Academy

OOG:
Rachel Jump/Onca
(New Player Marshal)
  • Kardin
  • The Blackjaw
  • Thank Yous: 121
30 Oct 2014 13:23 #4 by Kardin (Ben)
Replied by Kardin (Ben) on topic New player introduction and questions
Hi, I'm Ben, and as my friend has mentioned, it's probably a good idea to cover our bases and let people know we are coming to the event.

It seems like Trevor covered all the logistical questions. So I was hoping to learn a bit about how commerce and trade work in game. In the game, are players able to buy items or weapons with in game currency? If I buy a sword from someone does that mean there is a physical sword that I then possess or do I have to supply one? If I use a crafting proficiency to make a piece of armor where does the actual armor piece come from? I assume it is not the armor fairy, but I figured I better make sure.

That should just about cover my set of questions. Looking forward to meeting you all, and I appreciate your help in this.
-Ben Feldman

Kardin Armister of the Hiolangorn || Shield of the North
Vassal to Lord Aleister Tartaros of Drega'mire
Iron Centurion of Palindor

============
OOG:
Ben F.
============
"Never get discouraged. People may punish you for every good thing you'll ever do, but you only fail if they get you to stop. Your actions can mend a heart, save a Light, or topple the mightiest foe."
  • Croínamara
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Sock Marshal
  • Thank Yous: 467
30 Oct 2014 13:50 - 30 Oct 2014 13:52 #5 by Croínamara (Jen)
Replied by Croínamara (Jen) on topic New player introduction and questions
In the game, are players able to buy items or weapons with in game currency?
Yes BUT this seems to tie into your second question of...

If I buy a sword from someone does that mean there is a physical sword that I then possess or do I have to supply one?

You have to supply the physical representation (the physrep).
So while you have purchased the In Game sword of "two handed mithril swings for awesome damage", you yourself need to acquire the latex or ducttapeandpoolnoodle equivalent.

If I use a crafting proficiency to make a piece of armor where does the actual armor piece come from? I assume it is not the armor fairy, but I figured I better make sure.

Same as above, you need to supply the physical representation.
We do have a lot of vendors who show up at game to sell leather work, latex weapons, armor, and the like. They take real life money.

If you'd like, post on the costuming section of the forums to see if anyone would lend you anything for your first game!

Croínamara Ull Uidhir of Clan Uidhir
Squire to Knight Captain Magnus
Chancellor of the Arts
Sergeant of the Baronial Guard

OOG:
Jen F.
Roleplay Marshal
Last edit: 30 Oct 2014 13:52 by Croínamara (Jen).
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.527 seconds