Counting Down the Days!

• Amilia Tolunda
  • Artist, Writer, Gamer
  • Thank Yous: 97
02 Jan 2015 16:38 - 02 Jan 2015 21:43 #1 by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi)
Counting Down the Days! was created by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi)
I am terrible at introduction posts- so here goes nothing!

I'm Julie Anne, a bit of a Renn Faire troll in the NJ/NY area that accidentally stumbled upon KR 3 times, and finally got the chance to make it in for the new year. I have a few acquaintances from both work and the renn faire lifestyle, including Gina C and her roommate Jason, a new player David, and his partner in crime Chad. I might also know a few others, and just not realize they're members yet!

Its sort of a funny story I like to share. I was invited to an event by Chad, unsure if accidentally or on purpose back in September. Thought it was an accident, didn't know anything about it, didn't go. Then in October, my job dressed for Halloween. I was a fae, and Gina was in LARP clothes. We started talking. My friend David then went to the event in November/December, and telling me about how exciting it was and stories about it and well...I'm finally taking the jump.

I've never done anything like this before. I'm directionally challenged, and usually the outdoors and myself do not agree. Gina has been helping answer immediate questions as I stumble upon them. So far, I'm camping with David, who sets up his own tent, winter weather be damned. I've mocked up a plastic tote to look like a table with a tablecloth for all my traveling junk, and found the warmest clothes this side of Jersey. I'm always open for suggestions on how to make KR the best experience for myself and all the existing players that I get to join in the world.

So far, I'm rolling a Gypsy Healer, and yes; I have a mountain of warm socks. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Amilia Tolunda - Romani - Healer
Aimee "Whisper" Whisperleaf - Dryad - Druid - Bard
Maive Lusterwryn - Londwyn - Alchemist

OOG: Julie Anne B
Last edit: 02 Jan 2015 21:43 by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi). Reason: Adding an image
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sindarion (Steven SA), Arden (Shelby), Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
02 Jan 2015 17:31 #2 by Dame Clytie Silverfang (itsgonnabemay)
Replied by Dame Clytie Silverfang (itsgonnabemay) on topic Counting Down the Days!
Hey there! I see that you have been forewarned of the sheer necessity of nice socks. Good, you're about 5 warm steps ahead of others.
I'm May, just a random player and a huge cosplayer and gamer before I got involved. It appears that Gina and David have you well-equipped already for what the game will have in story for you, but if there's anything else you need answering and they aren't available, I'd be more than happy to lend you a hand.
The best suggestion I can give is go big. Don't go home, but do try to go big. The more you let the setting, plot, and characters take you away, the more immersed you will be and the more fun you'll have. Also, if you don't know anything on the spot, feel free to ask pretty much anyone. We'd all be happy to let you know, or direct you to someone who has the answers you need.
I look forward to seeing you at the next game!

Dame Clytie Silverfang, the Pegasus
Knight of Travance
Master of the Mage's Guild

OOG- May Leonard
Kitchen Staff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
03 Jan 2015 01:38 #3 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Counting Down the Days!
Hi, Julie Anne! I'm Jeff and I'm a New Player Marshal at game. Happy to report that you're not alone in counting down the days. 20. Ahem. Welcome to Knight Realms!

As May said, you're off to a good start with your mountain of socks. Running for your life is an inevitability in Travance and that will involve running through puddles of water, ice, snow, slush, mud, spilled ale -- tragic, really! -- which will cause problems for your feet and the rest of you as well!

One bit of advice I can offer you, is that you shouldn't be afraid to make a mistake. Even the most seasoned players flub from time to time. You'll learn and grow as you play.

We all look forward to seeing you at the next event, and if you have any questions at all, feel free to post them here or send me a message.

With Warm Socks,

Jeff

The following user(s) said Thank You: Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi)
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
03 Jan 2015 01:58 #4 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Counting Down the Days!
Hey Julie. You met me too. I'm Conor Gina's other roommate. Glad to see you're posting here. Welcome to the community of Knight Realms.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
03 Jan 2015 04:42 #5 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic Counting Down the Days!
Now it's my turn to say hello too! I'm Matt, and like Jeff, Gina, and Connor, a New Player Marshal. It's our responsibility that you have a good time. I also play a Healer, so if you have any questions regarding the class or role play, don't hesitate to PM me. Welcome to the game, and we'll see you soon!

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
04 Jan 2015 19:45 #6 by Cyndra Stagsblood (Taylorfischer)
Replied by Cyndra Stagsblood (Taylorfischer) on topic Counting Down the Days!
Hey Julie! It is always exciting to see new players entering the game! Me and the rest of the druids, I am sure, will be willing to help you if you get lost in the woods at any point :P

welcome to the game! yay!

OOG: Taylor Fischer
  • Amilia Tolunda
  • Artist, Writer, Gamer
04 Jan 2015 22:37 - 04 Jan 2015 22:39 #7 by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi)
Replied by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi) on topic Counting Down the Days!
Thanks for all the welcoming wishes! I'm excited (and sort of freaking out at the same time, yay.)

I have a few easy logistics based questions:
  • For NPC shifts, I know everything is set up in time slots. Whats the best way to disguise a timepiece? Should I carry my cell phone in my pouch and just keep it hidden? Is a decorative watch (think a wristwatch with a leather beaded band) appropriate on a character? If needed- I think there are outlets somewhere on site to recharge things like cell phones?
  • How does getting to sleep/bathrooms/showers work in game? I don't want to interrupt someones gaming experience because I'm shot and need sleep, and at the same time, if I need to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, I'd rather not get nommed by incoming undead (that I've heard like to roam at night)
  • I'm going to ask the grossest question ever, which I feel is valid. Are the bathrooms full plumbing? What are the 'rules' on disposing of feminine care products. Gross? Yes. Important to know before arrival? Double yes.
  • Admitting something strange here: I like to wash dishes and I've heard volunteers are always needed. I can assume I just talk to someone on site on the first day when it comes to NPC shifts and the like?

Thanks for all the help :) I'll probably have another hundred thousand questions built up in my brain by the next week, but it calms the anxiety and I think it'll make the game more enjoyable if I know all the ins and outs upon arrival instead of wandering like a zombie.

Oh yes, and I didn't mean to forget you Conor :) It took me a few times to remember Gina/Jason's names

Last edit: 04 Jan 2015 22:39 by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi).
05 Jan 2015 00:00 #8 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Replied by Sean Moulson (Moulson13) on topic Counting Down the Days!
Hi Julie Anne. My name is Sean and I am another new player marshal, like Gina and Conor. I might be able to answer a few of your questions.

1. I personally wear a nike fuel band, but you can hide a phone (most of us do) in a pouch. A watch as long as it looks in game should be fine. Yes for charging locations on the camp.

2. When you need to shower you can pop on a white headband and go shower. Bathrooms are out of game and no monsters are aloud to jump you in the potty. As for sleeping it is in game and monsters can attack you. So find a good group of friends to camp with who can wake you up if monsters attack. :)

3a. We do have plenty of full running water bathrooms. We have bath houses around camp as well as the inn.

4. The kitchen ALWAYS needs love and help. When you get to game we can introduce you to the kitchen marshals who will love and adore you for helping us and them.

Please feel free to message me or post more questions. :)

Anhil Shadesar, Knight of Kaladonia

Storyteller
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi)
  • Mirwen Silverbow
  • Shadows and darkness are not to be feared. As with any other tool, it is the will of the wielder that does evil or good.
  • Thank Yous: 85
05 Jan 2015 00:08 - 05 Jan 2015 00:18 #9 by Mirwen Silverbow (Mirwen)
Replied by Mirwen Silverbow (Mirwen) on topic Counting Down the Days!
Hi Julie Anne!

I'm Christine, another New Player marshal, and I can't wait to meet you in game! I'm going to go ahead and assume other will tackle most of your questions, so I'll head right to the important one. I'm answering it publicly because you asked it publicly, and I'm sure there are other females who are probably curious as well and may have been too shy to mention it :)
We do have plumbing in four buildings around the camp; there are two bathhouses, the Inn, and the Monastery.
In the winter, the bathhouses close down, but there's still our main Inn building and our Monastery that have bathrooms. It might be a bit of a pain, but taking the hike to one of those with an indoor bathroom and garbage can is what I usually do. I recommend indoor disposal because we do have bears on the camp, and while they're hibernating in the winter, it's a good habit to get into for when the summer does roll around. In the warmer months, the bathhouses also have metal garbage cans with lids that as far as I know we've never had a problem with. I know there are also some ladies who use a Divacup, but I've never tried that before.

As far as quick answers for the others: A lot of people will have their phone in a pocket, and the buildings do have electricity, so recharging is possible
Sleep/shower/answer nature whenever you need to, but there are wandering monsters for most hours of the day and night. Typically there's a break between 2 am and 6 am, when logistics closes down.
Answered number three, I hope :)
Yes! Come help us in the kitchen! Come serve at the bar! Help clean up after feast! I wash dishes every Saturday night and it's always a good time.

I hope I helped out at least a little, and if there's anything else you'd like to ask, feel free to PM me. See you at game!

Lady Mirwen Silverbow of Pendarvin
Mage's Guild Scribe

[IMG

Christine B
New Player Marshal
Logistics Marshal
Last edit: 05 Jan 2015 00:18 by Mirwen Silverbow (Mirwen).
  • Amilia Tolunda
  • Artist, Writer, Gamer
05 Jan 2015 16:56 #10 by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi)
Thank you so so much! Sometimes the things no one wants to talk about are the more important questions to know before arrival. :-)

18 Jan 2015 21:03 #11 by Captain Cade Tanwyn (Cade Tanwyn)
Replied by Captain Cade Tanwyn (Cade Tanwyn) on topic Counting Down the Days!
Cousin! My brother Cael and I are both gypsy players and while not new to larp are newish to knightsrealm. Be sure to find us during the weekend as gypsy's always have gossip to share. We'll introduce you to some other gypsy players and help you get the lay of the land.

Co-founder Tanwyn Trading
Captain Cade Tanwyn of The Night Harrier
Author of the Pirate Accords founded in 1217

OOG: Andy, New Player Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cael Tanwyn (CaelTanwyn), Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi)
20 Jan 2015 17:14 #12 by Cael Tanwyn (CaelTanwyn)
Replied by Cael Tanwyn (CaelTanwyn) on topic Re:Counting Down the Days!
Yes! Welcome to the merry gypsy familia! Come find us as soon as you can and we will make sure you are well taken care of. Blood looks after blood!

Tanwyn, Cael

"We align the stars."
Head of the Tanwyn Familia

OOG: Nic White
  • Amilia Tolunda
  • Artist, Writer, Gamer
20 Jan 2015 17:19 #13 by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi)
That would be amazing guys. Half nervous, half excited at this point.

Any other last-minute reminders, or things to bring from the peanut gallery? Anything is appreciated!

• Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
20 Jan 2015 17:35 #14 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Counting Down the Days!
Many layers, gonna be cold this event. Waterproof your boots if they need it, gonna be a bit wet. A lot of socks, same reason as number 1.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
20 Jan 2015 17:38 #15 by Dame Clytie Silverfang (itsgonnabemay)
Replied by Dame Clytie Silverfang (itsgonnabemay) on topic Counting Down the Days!
Also make sure that you bring sleeping stuff to accommodate with the weather. While indoor places like the monestary and the inn will have heating to a degree, it will still be chilly and shivering beneath one sheet does not a happy larper make. bring something warm and comfy to sleep in.

Dame Clytie Silverfang, the Pegasus
Knight of Travance

OOG- May Leonard
Kitchen Staff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Meander Correlis (SarahBrand), Argyle Del Dragon (AngryCelt), Erik Silverfang (ASchleicher)
20 Jan 2015 19:22 #16 by Argyle Del Dragon (AngryCelt)
Replied by Argyle Del Dragon (AngryCelt) on topic Counting Down the Days!
It's over looked, but remember to drink water. Saftey, stay hydrated out there, and a little stretching never hurt to prevent cramping up. I wish you well, and hope you have a great event. Welcome to the Knight Realms family!!!

Del Dragon, Argyle
(OOC: Forest Dougan)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
  • Rowan Uidhir
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Beans, beans, the musical fruit...
  • Thank Yous: 145
21 Jan 2015 14:28 - 21 Jan 2015 14:29 #17 by Rowan Uidhir (Teresa)
Replied by Rowan Uidhir (Teresa) on topic Counting Down the Days!
We can't wait to have you with us, Julie Anne!
Here's to a great, wintry event!

(OOG) Teresa Amore
Last edit: 21 Jan 2015 14:29 by Rowan Uidhir (Teresa).
22 Jan 2015 07:04 #18 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Replied by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042) on topic Counting Down the Days!
There is always something that you will forget or need help with. So just know that everyone... and I mean everyone ... will try to help you or direct you to someone who can help you when that happens. Don't be shy about asking for help. Don't suffer because you made some mistake and left your socks out in the snow or something. So if you do encounter a problem once on site, ask someone for help or at least ask someone to take you to the kitchen or logistics because you need help.

Welcome to Knight Realms.

Gunnar Gunnarson, Medicine Man
--
OOG: Joe Hines
Former Development Officer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Silverfang (ASchleicher)
  • Not An Assassin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • I'm not a man fighting against monsters, I'm a monster fighting against the world as it reclaims itself.
  • Thank Yous: 344
22 Jan 2015 07:52 #19 by Not An Assassin (Salem)
Replied by Not An Assassin (Salem) on topic Counting Down the Days!
Look for the guy in the black armor with long hair and a goatee (me) if you want to go to the best IG tavern ever (under the barn).

Just sayin'.

Welcome to the Family :)

Salem Noire, Lieutenant Commander of the Blood Spirits

Lieutenant Leon Drekken of House Zezima

OOG-Reece Belmont
The following user(s) said Thank You: Meander Correlis (SarahBrand), Cael Tanwyn (CaelTanwyn)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.623 seconds