Another New Guy With Questions

13 May 2015 22:22 - 13 May 2015 22:23 #1 by Jem Brackles (BraveAndAfraid)
Another New Guy With Questions was created by Jem Brackles (BraveAndAfraid)
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to start LARPing sometime this summer in either June or July with some of my friends. I've never LARPed before so I'm not sure what I need to bring for the game itself. Should I bring a weapon or can I rent one at the event? If I do need to get one, would this be good to get? I'm looking to play a warrior-type character and try my hand at some combat, how necessary is it for me to get some type of armor? I'm not looking to spend a lot initially, and I wanted to be a Barbarian so I was considering wearing some basic pants, leather straps, and a lot of sunscreen - would this be an adequate costume? Would the lack of protection cripple me in combat? Thank you, I'm really excited to start KR.

- Noah G.
Last edit: 13 May 2015 22:23 by Jem Brackles (BraveAndAfraid).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyrik (rez413)
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
13 May 2015 23:47 #2 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Another New Guy With Questions
Hey. My name's Conor and I'm a New Player Marshal. Let's see if I can help you here.

Should I bring a weapon or can I rent one at the event?
Up to you really, we have weapons that we can usually let first time players borrow for an event.

If I do need to get one, would this be good to get?
The swords are really a matter of preference. A Logistics marshal has to approve the weapon, which, speaking as a LM, for most latex weapons they pass, since most are made professionally.

I'm looking to play a warrior-type character and try my hand at some combat, how necessary is it for me to get some type of armor?
Again a matter of preference, if you don't mind dropping a lot your first event or so, then you don't need it. If you want to take a lot of hits, then you can. I know warrior characters who don't wear armor, and then I know others that cover themselves in it.

I'm not looking to spend a lot initially, and I wanted to be a Barbarian so I was considering wearing some basic pants, leather straps, and a lot of sunscreen - would this be an adequate costume?
From what I am imagining, this should be fine. As long as the pants aren't jeans or anything that modern, it should be fine. But yes if you are going the shirtless option, be sure to use a lot of sunscreen.

Would the lack of protection cripple me in combat?
I don't understand this question? As in the lack of armor? Or lack of clothing from the weapons hitting you? If it's the first one, I think I answered that one with the armor question. If it's the second one, it shouldn't cripple you at all.....unless you get sunburn and a weapon hits that spot of course.

Hope this helped.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
14 May 2015 07:28 #3 by Jem Brackles (BraveAndAfraid)
Replied by Jem Brackles (BraveAndAfraid) on topic Another New Guy With Questions
Thank you for your help.

- Noah G.
  • Rowan Uidhir
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Beans, beans, the musical fruit...
  • Thank Yous: 145
14 May 2015 14:29 - 14 May 2015 14:30 #4 by Rowan Uidhir (Teresa)
Replied by Rowan Uidhir (Teresa) on topic Another New Guy With Questions
Hello Noah and welcome to the Forums!

These hot months are often the hardest for some players. Know your body's limits and make sure to stock up on as much sunscreen, your preference of bug repellant (specifically for ticks and mosquitos), and water. Barbarians, or Northerners, tend to wear a lot of furs and leathers, so I'd suggest that you'd be wary of wearing so much heavy material in the summer. However, Connor answered that question perfectly. When you get to game, ask some players with really cool costumes for tips and hints. Almost everyone's costumes go under constant upgrades and improvements.

If you know your character inside and out, think about if he (or she...you never know) would spend his days training his body to take a hit or would he learn how to fight with a suit of armor acting as his second skin. What does his personality say about his fighting style and what does his fighting style reveal about his personality. Think about some of these questions before coming to game. You'll find more and more out about your warrior every time you play the character (even years in the future, you'll keep learning about him!)

The New Player Marshals will help you write up the stats on your character card as well. I hope this helps prepare you for game, but keep asking away with any other questions you may have!

(OOG) Teresa Amore
Last edit: 14 May 2015 14:30 by Rowan Uidhir (Teresa).
  • Not An Assassin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • I'm not a man fighting against monsters, I'm a monster fighting against the world as it reclaims itself.
  • Thank Yous: 344
14 May 2015 15:43 #5 by Not An Assassin (Salem)
Replied by Not An Assassin (Salem) on topic Another New Guy With Questions
I wish I had a time-lapse of my outfit modifications throughout my time with KR that I could show you. I probably have made a new change to my outfit every single event that I've come to, and I started out wearing cloth. And while I had no IG protection from armor, I learned who to stick with to keep myself alive in combat.

That starter kit looks nice, by the way. I wouldn't mind getting me that myself...So I bookmarked it. Thank you.

The point of the game in the long-run though is to have fun. It's great to look nice, but being able to really enjoy yourself, whether through roleplay, combat, or both is why I'm always trying my best to go back to KR.

I hope that when you do come by, you have an awesome time. Which I know you will.

Welcome to the Family, Noah.

Salem Noire, Lieutenant Commander of the Blood Spirits

Lieutenant Leon Drekken of House Zezima

OOG-Reece Belmont
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
14 May 2015 15:47 #6 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Another New Guy With Questions
Hi, Noah.

I'm Jeff, another New Player Marshal. Welcome to Knight Realms!

As to what to bring to game:

A black shirt and black pants for your NPC duty
Although there is breakfast and lunch served in the bar at the Inn and people sometimes sell food mid-day Saturday, you may want to bring some snacks. With all the running around you're going to be doing, even if you don't feel hungry, you should still eat.
Speaking of running around, since you're coming to game in the summer, it's going to be hot. Drink plenty of water. Unlike the ale at the bar, it's free, and you should have some whenever you get the chance.
Socks. No matter the weather, your socks will likely get wet and nobody wants funky feet. Bring more than you think you'll need and change them regularly.

Your costume should work well for a while. As Teresa mentioned above, Northerners/Barbarians do tend to wear a lot of furs and when/if you come to game in the colder months, those furs will definitely come in handy.

Something else that would come in handy your first game is a sheet, either written or typed, of the skills that you want your warrior to start out with. It'll speed up creating your character card and you can get to nerding out that much quicker.

If you have any more questions, feel free to post them.

--Jeff

• Croínamara
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Sock Marshal
  • Thank Yous: 467
14 May 2015 17:01 #7 by Croínamara (Jen)
Replied by Croínamara (Jen) on topic Another New Guy With Questions
HI! Welcome to the game! :D

My advice:
Invest in a good pair of boots. The camp is super muddy 90% of the year and wet feet is the worst (bring lots of socks regardless!)

Also, remember to bring bedding! It's a girlscout camp. Sheets, pillow, etc. the works. I forgot my pillow once. It was awful.

We're a dirty bunch, but if you're a cleanly person, there are showers and bath houses throughout the camp; if you would like, bring toiletries!

Can't wait to see you at game :D

Croínamara Ull Uidhir of Clan Uidhir
Squire to Knight Captain Magnus
Chancellor of the Arts
Sergeant of the Baronial Guard

OOG:
Jen F.
Roleplay Marshal
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
14 May 2015 17:46 #8 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Another New Guy With Questions

Sébastien O.T. Noire wrote: I wish I had a time-lapse of my outfit modifications throughout my time with KR that I could show you.

Just watch the Captain America movies & pay attention to Bucky. You'll see your transformation soon enough.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GJSchaller (GJSchaller), Matt D (MattD), Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell), Croínamara (Jen), Arden (Shelby), Wili ()
14 May 2015 22:21 #9 by Jem Brackles (BraveAndAfraid)
Replied by Jem Brackles (BraveAndAfraid) on topic Another New Guy With Questions
Wow thank you guys so much. I can already tell I'm going to like it here :-)

- Noah G.
  • Grimkjell Eirson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "You! Small man! Hold my furs while I kill this."
  • Thank Yous: 500
14 May 2015 22:29 #10 by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings)
Replied by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings) on topic Another New Guy With Questions
Feel free to hit me up on PMs here or on facebook about various things regarding barbarian stuff, I'm not an NPM or RPM but I can put you in contact with both pretty easily, and can get access to barbarian experts of various marshal sorts.

Also, I just love talking with new barb players :)

IG: Sir Grimkjell Eirson
Knight of Pendarvin
Guardian of Mercy

OOG: William Hannings
Land system Marshal
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.575 seconds