New To KR for June

08 Jun 2015 21:05 #1 by Jim Warrington (Mechinik)
New To KR for June was created by Jim Warrington (Mechinik)
Hello All, Jim W- here. I will be coming to KR in June for the first time, John T. and Leslie M. talked me into it.

I have been LARPing for about 3 years now, but always as an NPC for another system - that owner is a friend and I help him out. So I will be jumping the fence and PCing to finally get some coin (I hope) instead of the one giving it out.

Besides the coin, I am looking to RP and make some new friends during the weekend, and beyond.

About me - I am a bit older (47) and have been in the military (national guard) for 29 years and govn't employee for 24. I live in SE PA, so it is a bit of a drive.

So I will be looking for any advice or help in your world. You guys have a very big and detailed world that I need to learn about.

Jim W-

Brannoc Sinclair
Jim W-
The following user(s) said Thank You: Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
08 Jun 2015 21:12 #2 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic New To KR for June
Hi Jim,

Welcome aboard. Hope you have fun joining our events. Great primer to read is the New Players! section of the website.

As for all the in-game history, backstory, etc... there's a section in the website for that stuff as well. Though I hope you come in without any preconceptions or knowledge of the game world, & allow our players to RP their version of history and their perspectives on the In Game information/background.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Grimkjell Eirson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "You! Small man! Hold my furs while I kill this."
  • Thank Yous: 500
08 Jun 2015 21:15 - 08 Jun 2015 21:21 #3 by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings)
Replied by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings) on topic New To KR for June
Hey Jim! I work for the VA myself, always glad to see another vet (,we have a lot here, though I am not one myself)

IG: Sir Grimkjell Eirson
Knight of Pendarvin
Guardian of Mercy

OOG: William Hannings
Land system Marshal
Last edit: 08 Jun 2015 21:21 by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings).
08 Jun 2015 21:17 #4 by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf)
Replied by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf) on topic New To KR for June
Hi Jim,

I'm Jeremy. Welcome to KR! Don't worry, we don't bite, I think.

The lore of the game can get very complicated. Travance is a frontier town in a sense. It's the foothold of the kingdom of Komyre across the rift. Your character came to this place seeking his own ambitions. A mage would be here maybe to learn more about the arcane, or a soldier would be here to protect the people and be a member of the guard. You will learn a lot about the game through interacting with people. Trust me, there's a lot you will learn for the people at the game by interacting with them.

PCing is a lot different from NPCing. Instead of being told what to do as a character it is up to you to do what you want. It's different, but a lot of fun.

I can't wait for you to be at the game. Remember, who will you be?

Kanas Silverfang

OOG: Jeremy Schwartz
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
08 Jun 2015 22:00 #5 by Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
Replied by Belketra Folles (pleasantexample) on topic New To KR for June
Hi Jim!

I'm Derek. I'm a newbie, just started in April. I can totally agree that the world is HUGE and it's really a daunting task to learn more about it (in fact, Jeremy was teaching me things I should have known IG just yesterday.) The bright side is that you DON'T need to know everything: know what your character would (something you can determine from your profession and race.) You could be a Khitan that's totally bright-eyed and bushy-tailed about everything, but also totally clueless (read: my character). Or you could be a scholar from Coast Haven that knows everything there is about the sea and underground things, but doesn't know jack about Kormyre or nobility. It's a big world, and we're just LARPing in it.

I also can commiserate with you about the distance - I live in Hurlock, Maryland, which is a solid five hours of country roads away from Camp Sacajawea.

I'm really interested in hearing about your character, and I'm sure others are too! Go ahead and let us know right in this topic! We throw around "Who Will You Be" as a slogan and a hashtag a lot, but a fair number (I would even go as far as to say most of us) do mean it and genuinely want to know:

Who will you be?

[hr]

OOG: DJ (She/her)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf)
08 Jun 2015 22:10 #6 by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933)
Replied by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933) on topic New To KR for June
Holy crap, man....this is the guy who started me in Warhammer 40K third edition (Yes, I am aware I just dated myself). Welcome.

Donald MacFhionnlaigh
OOG: Sean Farquharson "Jarhead"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
08 Jun 2015 22:48 #7 by Captain Cade Tanwyn (Cade Tanwyn)
Replied by Captain Cade Tanwyn (Cade Tanwyn) on topic New To KR for June
If you have specific questions be sure to talk to a new player marshal. They're extremely helpful and have all been very welcoming to me.

When you show up in game feel free to find me and to get connected The Adventurers Guild. It's a good place to go on quests, make friends, and of course make some gold for those new to Travance. If you need anything as Pathfinder of the guild I try to look after other new players. Feel free to ask me and I'll do my best to help or find you someone who can.

Co-founder Tanwyn Trading
Captain Cade Tanwyn of The Night Harrier
Author of the Pirate Accords founded in 1217

OOG: Andy, New Player Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
08 Jun 2015 22:56 #8 by Jim Warrington (Mechinik)
Replied by Jim Warrington (Mechinik) on topic New To KR for June
Thank you all for the welcome and the words of advice.

I am most likely going to play a Celt Druid or Healer, as I own a few kilts why not wear them and talk with an accent.

Other than that, I'll be working or a history/background and how I want to RP him ..

OOG: Jim W-

Brannoc Sinclair
Jim W-
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Silverfang (ASchleicher), Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
  • Amilia Tolunda
  • Artist, Writer, Gamer
  • Thank Yous: 97
09 Jun 2015 08:47 #9 by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi)
Replied by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi) on topic New To KR for June
Healer is a fun class to play. Come June I'll be bringing back my Romani Amilia Tolunda on Saturday. I'll be doing business at the market faire in the inn building, but you are more than welcome to stop and chat. She's a baby as well, I only started with KR in January. though I can't teach I'll be easy to find- look for the Romani with a green headband and braced up wrist!

There are also a ton of awesome druids that I met through my second character Aimee, so I can also filter in a little bit about that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Amilia Tolunda - Romani - Healer
Aimee "Whisper" Whisperleaf - Dryad - Druid - Bard
Maive Lusterwryn - Londwyn - Alchemist

OOG: Julie Anne B
  • Angry
  • Thank Yous: 131
10 Jun 2015 13:49 #10 by Angry (Angryman86)
Replied by Angry (Angryman86) on topic New To KR for June
Sorry Jim,
I'm not playing a dwarf

It'll be good to see ya up here

Father Angrin McCoy, Baronial Quartermaster
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lad... Never hit if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting.... But if ye have to hit, never hit soft
  • Thank Yous: 537
12 Jun 2015 09:18 #11 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Replied by JTinney (Swordsaint) on topic New To KR for June
Heya Jim!

Glad to see ya in the board... And I will see ya Thursday to make sure the PC is together alright.

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Templar-High Priest of Brazen
Chaplain, Bloodspirits Mercenary Company

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
13 Jun 2015 01:51 - 13 Jun 2015 01:53 #12 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic New To KR for June
Hi, Jim!

I'm Jeff, one of the New Player Marshals at Knight Realms. Welcome aboard!

John probably gave you the rundown of things you should bring with you, but I still feel obliged to remind you to bring extra socks. If you think you have a few too many pairs in your luggage, add some more.

Paul mentioned the lore of the world, and that is available to you out-of-game (OOG) here:
www.knightrealms.com/in-game/the-baronial-library.html

It's available to your character in the "Baronial Library." Speaking as someone who has barely read any of the articles there, I haven't found it all that necessary. There are a handful of categories, such as History, Culture, Economics, and Geography. Some of the sections are more sparse than others, but you may find something useful if you dig around.

All that said, I'll echo what others have said. The best and easiest way to learn about the world is to play, even if you make mistakes--actually, especially if you make mistakes.

As of right now, we are six days until the event. If you think of any questions before then, feel free to post them here or send a PM to either myself or any of my friends who've posted in this thread. Otherwise, thank you for your service and I'll see you on Friday!

--Jeff

Last edit: 13 Jun 2015 01:53 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
13 Jun 2015 16:27 - 13 Jun 2015 16:28 #13 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic New To KR for June
Hey, I'm Matt. My character is one of the people that sponsor the Adventurer's guild, along with Katie (who plays Marlena). Both of us are New Player Marshals, and we also can help out with anything you need. We have a very interesting mod this event planned, so keep an eye out for the posts. If you run into Andrew/Cade, definitely talk to him about the guild.

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
Last edit: 13 Jun 2015 16:28 by Matt D (MattD).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Argyle Del Dragon (AngryCelt), Captain Cade Tanwyn (Cade Tanwyn)
15 Jun 2015 22:24 #14 by Jim Warrington (Mechinik)
Replied by Jim Warrington (Mechinik) on topic New To KR for June
Ok, so sounds like lots of things going on for new players, and well taken care of - as I have had 3 New Player Marshals post here.

It looks like there will be lots of things going on for us new players and that you have a thought out way to integrate new/low level into the world.

There is a lot to learn about the KR world. Between the history, races, politics, and everything .. it looks like I can RP the youngish adventurer that is lost or doesn't know much (not to hard to do that) but fun is the main goal.

I can slowly work on background and costuming ..

Jim W-

Brannoc Sinclair
Jim W-
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.602 seconds