New Player! With coffee!

• Sam
  • Thank Yous: 4
08 Sep 2015 15:15 #1 by Sam (Ntkufreak)
New Player! With coffee! was created by Sam (Ntkufreak)
Hello everyone, I'm so excited for Friday! I'm a new player, never larped before, done a little online roleplay (AOL Arts&Entertainment chat rooms anyone?!!) and more recently DnD. That's the extent of my formal experience outside of video games, online random forums, and very casual worldbuilding. But I'm siked!

I'm still figuring out the specifics of my character, but one thing I can promise is coffee! If you're looking for fresh brewed coffee in the mornings (and hell probably in the evening), come find me IG! I'm a friend of Taylor (Cyndra Stagsblood). And I literally have not figured out any of my other story yet. Still working on that... but I love brewing and serving, so thought it'd be a good character quirk. Plus, it'll help me meet you and relax until I figure this world out a little :)

I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions when I show up, but right now I'm sort of cruising through the forums. If you have any newbie tips, I'd love to hear them. I'm not planning to go crazy on my costume until I figure out more what my direction is, but that is something I'm definitely excited to do down the road!

One thing I do want to know, if you are interested in coffee: would you be willing to pay OOG cash (baronial note? haha) for coffee, or IG gold only? Totally no hard feelings/not a dealbreaker if USD isn't feasible for you. I'm trying to scope out interest and get a feel for what to expect.

Great to meet you!

OOG: Sam Gauss
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Cyndra Stagsblood (Taylorfischer), Lesser Skeleton (ThisDevilsWorkday), Cael Tanwyn (CaelTanwyn)
  • Amilia Tolunda
  • Artist, Writer, Gamer
  • Thank Yous: 97
08 Sep 2015 15:58 #2 by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi)
Replied by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi) on topic New Player! With coffee!
Sounds awesome! I'm a returning player who has been selling stuff for the past few months, just haven't had the disposable funds to game lately (maybe this month!)

When vendoring on Saturday I am always willing to lend change or a card reader if you need it :)

I treated my first event with the idea 'what do you forget when you pack for vacation' like a pillow, socks, ChapStick, etc. And go from there. Hope to see you in the gamer this weekend, even if it's just at market faire!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Amilia Tolunda - Romani - Healer
Aimee "Whisper" Whisperleaf - Dryad - Druid - Bard
Maive Lusterwryn - Londwyn - Alchemist

OOG: Julie Anne B
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
08 Sep 2015 16:01 #3 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic New Player! With coffee!
Hey! Name's Conor and I am a New Player Marshal. Let me see if I can answer your question.

Sam wrote: One thing I do want to know, if you are interested in coffee: would you be willing to pay OOG cash (baronial note? haha) for coffee, or IG gold only? Totally no hard feelings/not a dealbreaker if USD isn't feasible for you. I'm trying to scope out interest and get a feel for what to expect.

It's mostly just IG gold. However don't worry too much, because most things that are sent out, when searched have some amount of money on them for you do buy food and drinks etc.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
  • Magnus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In fearful Day, In Raging Night...
  • Thank Yous: 483
08 Sep 2015 16:09 #4 by Magnus (hippy g0th)
Replied by Magnus (hippy g0th) on topic New Player! With coffee!
Howdy I'm Matt one of the New Player Marshals at the game.

First off let me state that mentions of coffee is a fast way to make friends. :p

Second off advice,
1 bring socks
2 don't be afraid to take risks
3 as you play set goals, even if they are unattainable goals are what drive character development
4 BRING MORE SOCKS
5 remember we are all here to have fun and help one another so don't be afraid to ask questions
6 seriously though socks

Additionally I know I personally might be willing to shell out a dollar or two for a high end cup, though on months I'm strapped for cash I will more than likely revert back to the free coffee in the inn

Any additional questions or concerns please feel free to contact me

Matthew Majchrzak

ST

Lord General Magnus

"Not Dead Yet!"
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
08 Sep 2015 16:13 #5 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic New Player! With coffee!
Welcome, Sam!

I'm Jeff, one of the New Player Marshals here. Don't worry, prior larp experience is certainly not required - I had none myself before I started coming to Knight Realms and I'm not alone in that, so you've already got a leg-up in the game.

Coffee is a popular commodity at game. If you do decide to sell it, there are rules governing the sale of goods. From the Core Rulebook:

Therefore, the following rules will govern the sale of goods – at the Market Faire or in any game
capacity – at Knight Realms:
1. OOG goods of any value can be sold during game-play at Knight Realms, so long as they are
appropriate to the setting of the game; the Director has final approval on what goods are
acceptable for sale.
2. OOG goods that are worth less than $10 each can be sold for OOG or IG money; the transaction
must be entirely for one or the other.
3. OOG goods that are worth more than $10 each can only be sold for OOG money.
4. IG goods can only be sold for IG money.
5. If your character possesses IG items for which your OOG goods could be used as phys-reps, you
can sell them together for the purpose of enhancing role-play. The IG item should be sold for IG
money, while the OOG good must be sold adhering to the rules above.

Assuming the coffee is worth less than $10 per cup, you would be able to sell a cup for in-game gold or Baronial Notes.

My own character didn't have a backstory until I had been playing for almost two years. Unless your character is royalty, don't sweat it. It does, however, add an extra dimension and if someone asks how you got to Travance, your answer can be more than "Uhh... my sense of adventure?" True story.

The same goes for costuming. While the one I use has never been the fanciest garb, it's certainly evolved over the years. If you're ever looking for help in that department, there's a helpful group on Facebook called the "Knight Realms Costumers Forum" and I would suggest joining that. Beyond that, Taylor's definitely demonstrated her prowess.

Newbie tips? Never be afraid to ask a question, no matter how silly you think it might be. Confused? Put your fist on your head and ask someone what's going on. They'll understand. We've all been there.

Whether it's hot, cold, or somewhere in between, you're going to be running around a forest all day and may forget the essentials like eating and staying hydrated. If your character carries a satchel or a pouch, consider carrying a snack for yourself in there. Water is free at the Dragon's Claw -- the Inn/bar -- so stop by occasionally and have your fill.

The most important tip of all is, have fun.

I like your enthusiasm, Sam. If you have any more questions, post them here. Otherwise, I'll see you on Friday!

-Jeff

The following user(s) said Thank You: Cael Tanwyn (CaelTanwyn)
08 Sep 2015 16:27 #6 by Cael Tanwyn (CaelTanwyn)
Replied by Cael Tanwyn (CaelTanwyn) on topic New Player! With coffee!
First, welcome wandering soul to the glorious (and terrifying) Travance! It's always wonderful to have a fresh and excited face like yours.
Definitely don't sweat the hardcore costuming right away. There are some players who have been at this for years and while the elaborate nature of their costumes can be impressive, don't let it be overwhelming. Your look will develop with your character, and there's no rush on that as long as you're having fun.
As for coffee, one of my OOG jobs is as a barista, so I've actually been developing ideas on how to start a fully operation coffee shop in-game. You should look up my character when you arrive and we can maybe collaborate.
On a similar note, find any of the Tanwyns (me and my in-game brothers), and we will get you taken care of! One of our primary focuses as a familia is to help provide a smoother transition to Travance for all newcomers.
So hopefully I'll see you on Friday, and until then keep asking the New Player Marshals any other questions you might have. They are all wonderful and will bend over backwards to help!

Tanwyn, Cael

"We align the stars."
Head of the Tanwyn Familia

OOG: Nic White
  • Velius
  • Never walk into a fair fight when walking into an unfair fight is an option.
  • Thank Yous: 76
08 Sep 2015 16:52 - 08 Sep 2015 17:13 #7 by Velius (Velius)
Replied by Velius (Velius) on topic New Player! With coffee!

Sam wrote: AOL Arts&Entertainment chat rooms anyone?!!

Rhy'Din 4 Life.

Sam wrote: I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions when I show up, but right now I'm sort of cruising through the forums. If you have any newbie tips, I'd love to hear them. I'm not planning to go crazy on my costume until I figure out more what my direction is, but that is something I'm definitely excited to do down the road!

One thing I do want to know, if you are interested in coffee: would you be willing to pay OOG cash (baronial note? haha) for coffee, or IG gold only? Totally no hard feelings/not a dealbreaker if USD isn't feasible for you. I'm trying to scope out interest and get a feel for what to expect.

Great to meet you!

These are pretty general tips I've picked up over the years that are handy whether you're new or not.

• Bring a plain belt. Even if your character does not use one for their costume, you will want one for NPC duty for securing tabards, weapons, etc. The same goes for pants with pockets/a basic belt pouch. Walmart has flat-front black khakis for just a few bucks.
  • Bring a plastic sandwich bag, preferably with a slider. Keep your character card in there so that when you hand it in it looks exactly like it did when you got it. Keeps the logistics guys sane when your card isn't a wet, muddy mess. Also handy for item cards.
  • On a related note: Bring a pen. If you want to make friends fast, bring several pens.
  • If you need to have your phone on you to be reached for emergencies and cannot have it on silent, consider setting your ringtone to something like a bird chirping, an animal (not a bear), etc.

Regarding Coffee:

I have seen the most decked-out, powerful knights defeated by goblins, and I have seen the lowliest, unarmed peasant defeat a demon lord from the bowels of the Seven Hells by bribing him with coffee.

Nalick wrote: Assuming the coffee is worth less than $10 per cup

Where are we? The Starbucks inside Disneyland???

"I don't always NPC. But when I do, it's for years at a time."
Last edit: 08 Sep 2015 17:13 by Velius (Velius).
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
08 Sep 2015 16:55 - 08 Sep 2015 16:55 #8 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic New Player! With coffee!

Velius wrote: Where are we? The Starbucks inside Disneyland???

Perhaps he'd returned from a jaunt through the rainforest, where he gathered the beans himself in the sweltering sun.

Last edit: 08 Sep 2015 16:55 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Velius (Velius), Cael Tanwyn (CaelTanwyn)
08 Sep 2015 21:23 #9 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic New Player! With coffee!
I love coffee.

Like really love coffee.

Looking forward to meeting you.

-OOG Michael Smith
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Cael Tanwyn (CaelTanwyn)
  • Wili
  • Thank Yous: 206
09 Sep 2015 13:27 #10 by Wili ()
Replied by Wili () on topic New Player! With coffee!
Seriously though, if this "in game coffee shop/ barista partnership/ glorious amalgam of deliciousness" actually happens, I will spend all of my gold.

Wilindé Aläciel
AKA Wili
Blackbird Manager Extraordinaire

OOG-Kelley Commeford
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Lesser Skeleton (ThisDevilsWorkday)
  • Esten
  • Thank Yous: 2
11 Sep 2015 08:54 #11 by Esten (TinyDanser84)
Replied by Esten (TinyDanser84) on topic New Player! With coffee!
For good coffee I'll pay pretty much whatever you ask. Especially if there's real cream to go with it.

OOG: Sam M
IG: Esten
12 Sep 2015 22:28 #12 by Thalia Burdorn (abbyl)
Replied by Thalia Burdorn (abbyl) on topic New Player! With coffee!
It is currently being discussed and figured out for where and when in game. Stay tuned.

Thalia Stonebar Burdorn
Consul of Kaladonia
Warden of the Phocus
Ambassador to Calasvorin
Manager, Dragon's Claw Inn;

OOG: Abby Leib
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.567 seconds