Last-minute Questions from a Newcomer

• Heron
  • Thank Yous: 1
09 Sep 2015 02:35 #1 by Heron (ansemaru)
Last-minute Questions from a Newcomer was created by Heron (ansemaru)
Hello, all. I'm a new player set to attend his first ever KR game this coming weekend, and as such I'm putting the finishing touches on my costume and character sheet... There's just one little problem that I have, and I'm hoping somebody (ideally a roleplaying marshal) can give me a little advice.

The character in question is from Coast Haven, and is specifically a Coast Havener with mixed heritage and an outwardly Selendrian appearance. I've gotten my head around the actual mechanical rules for this, since those are straightforward, but I want to double-check on two things: that it's permissible to dress in a more Coast Haven-appropriate style along with the prosthetic ears, since my character is mechanically and culturally from Coast Haven, and if there are any unlisted rules about naming. Should an outwardly Selendrian Coast Havener have an "elvish" sounding name, or is it alright to call him something that sounds more suited to his homeland?

Allen Bishop S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cael Tanwyn (CaelTanwyn)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
09 Sep 2015 02:48 - 09 Sep 2015 02:51 #2 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Last-minute Questions from a Newcomer
Hi, Allen!

I'm Jeff, a New Player Marshal here at Knight Realms. Since I'm not also a Roleplay Marshal, I'll lean heavily on what the rulebook has to say regarding Coast Haven garb:

Costuming And Makeup
The manner of dress and personal habits of Coast Haveners tends to be as diverse as the population itself, though generally it falls into two categories – the ostentatious and the secretive. Those Coast Haveners that relish the outlaw life and enjoy a prosperous time of it often tend towards the ostentatious life, dressing strikingly and carrying on with gentlemanly airs and pleasantries, while those that prefer to remain

As you're aware, it's a coastal town where merchants from all over flock to do business. Therefore, it's reasonable that there would be representatives from most lands - Selendrians included.

Reading both of the clothing requirements for Coast Haveners and Selendrians, a combination of the two definitely seems doable.

Sylvan Elves prefer practical clothing made from naturally available materials. They wear
predominantly earthen colors that help them blend into their woodland surroundings. You must wear
elven ear tips when playing a Sylvan Elf.

As for naming your character, all you need to do is avoid a reference to a character in pop culture (TV, movie, or book) and you should be good.

If you have any more questions before game, feel free to post them here!

-Jeff

Last edit: 09 Sep 2015 02:51 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Heron (ansemaru)
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
09 Sep 2015 04:34 #3 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Last-minute Questions from a Newcomer
Glad you are coming to game. Just make sure that you go over with a marshal about your race in detail when it deals with racial benefits/detriments...

Characters of the Coast Haven race are a human sub-race, and are considered for rules purposes to be human in all respects. However, the diversity of Coast Haven’s population is indeed profound, and you can choose to have your Coast Haven character be of any other race in appearance; you must still obtain approval to portray a Coast Haven character that is born of a currently capped race.

The marshal can help you go over anything you may need to clarify on.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
09 Sep 2015 07:38 - 09 Sep 2015 07:39 #4 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic Last-minute Questions from a Newcomer
Rules

You can be named like an elf, have elf ears, but you should dress amd talk as a Coast Havener.

You will follow the Coast Haven Racials in the errata forum.

-OOG Michael Smith
Last edit: 09 Sep 2015 07:39 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Heron (ansemaru)
09 Sep 2015 10:39 #5 by Cael Tanwyn (CaelTanwyn)
Replied by Cael Tanwyn (CaelTanwyn) on topic Last-minute Questions from a Newcomer
Hey, Allen! Can't wait to run around with you and the rest of Jackdaw's crew soon. If you have any other aesthetic development questions that don't specifically need a marshal feel free to hit up myself or Andrew Randolph (Cade Tanwyn), as we've already been working some with Justin and Alice on their characters.

Tanwyn, Cael

"We align the stars."
Head of the Tanwyn Familia

OOG: Nic White
The following user(s) said Thank You: Heron (ansemaru)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.473 seconds