New Player for November

• Cara Easton
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I do not fear the dark. Only then can you see the stars.
  • Thank Yous: 324
22 Oct 2015 16:59 - 22 Oct 2015 17:04 #1 by Cara Easton (Raeelle)
New Player for November was created by Cara Easton (Raeelle)
Hello!

I've been listening to my friend's stories for a while(Justin (Jackdaw) and Alice (Starling) and Andy (Cade Tanwyn) 's stories especially), and I figured it was about time that I come and join the fun! So (barring any complications with work), I will be there in November! My friends have been very patient in answering all my questions, and I'm exited to jump in. I've been cosplaying for 10 years and RPing for WAY longer than I'd like to admit, so i'm looking forward to combining the two together. Since this was decided way list minute my costume isn't going to be as great as i'd like, but I figure I'll continue to upgrade it!

I'll be joining in on the pirate fun with them, and I can't wait to meet everyone!

I know that there's always recommendations around bringing snacks and food, but I wanted to ask about the food that's on site for dinner- I'm vegetarian, and was just curious if I should bring something for dinner or if there would be options available.

Thank you!

Alt : Laurel Astraeus

OOG: Rae L
Marshal
Card Staff
Last edit: 22 Oct 2015 17:04 by Cara Easton (Raeelle).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
22 Oct 2015 17:30 #2 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic New Player for November
Welcome to Knight Realms!! Don't forget socks......anyway,

There is feast, which is usually some type of meat, however there are many players who don't eat meat for one reason or another.

Bottom line there is always a no meat option, if you are worried, you can always ask anyone of our kitchen marshals.

As for your costume, don't worry too much, if it's your first few events, we understand costuming and weapons for our hobby can be expensive, if you take a few months to get a full good looking costume together that should be fine, as long as your "costume" isn't a video game tshirt and jeans, etc.
Most players, myself included, are still getting their costuming where they want it.

Any other questions, let us know by posting here.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
  • Cara Easton
  • Banned
  • Banned
22 Oct 2015 17:40 #3 by Cara Easton (Raeelle)
Replied by Cara Easton (Raeelle) on topic New Player for November
I feel like there's a story about socks because legitimately everyone I've spoken to, former players and current, the first thing they say when I ask them anything is "PACK EXTRA SOCKS!!"

And that's perfect. As long as there's a no meat option I can survive! I've learned to not be picky! and I'll make sure to pack some snacks for me just in case.

I have a number of medieval and renaissance costumes, but none of them are right for running around and fighting (i have lovely bruises from my pirate bodice from this past weekend at the rennfaire), but I figured out an outfit that works, and I'll keep upgrading it for future events.

Thank you so much! Can't wait to meet everyone!

Marshal
Card Staff
  • Velius
  • Never walk into a fair fight when walking into an unfair fight is an option.
  • Thank Yous: 76
22 Oct 2015 18:02 - 22 Oct 2015 21:15 #4 by Velius (Velius)
Replied by Velius (Velius) on topic New Player for November

Rook wrote: I feel like there's a story about socks because legitimately everyone I've spoken to, former players and current, the first thing they say when I ask them anything is "PACK EXTRA SOCKS!!"

I think that story is called "Gary Gets Gangrene"

Seriously tho, for winter time, more socks is better for obvious health and safety reasons. Also, swamp foot is a real thing. As your feet sweat you will want to replace your socks to keep from becoming ripe. Besides all that, you will be doing a good deal of walking and running through the woods, sometimes through puddles, sometimes through deceptively deep puddles that look harmless but then swallow up your entire foot and cause mud to pour into your shoe (Looking at you, Kaladonia). There's no better feeling than being able to go back to your tent and putting on a fresh pair of socks.

"I don't always NPC. But when I do, it's for years at a time."
Last edit: 22 Oct 2015 21:15 by Velius (Velius).
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
23 Oct 2015 00:50 - 23 Oct 2015 00:50 #5 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic New Player for November
Hi, Rachael!

Welcome aboard. I'm Jeff, a New Player Marshal here, like Conor.

One piece of advice I can offer any new player -- and while we're at it, some of the older ones too -- is that it's okay to mess up. Part of what Knight Realms offers, is a safe environment for you to say and act however and whatever you want, within reason. Don't hold back. We'll be there for you if you need us.

-Jeff

Last edit: 23 Oct 2015 00:50 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
  • Amilia Tolunda
  • Artist, Writer, Gamer
  • Thank Yous: 97
23 Oct 2015 22:04 #6 by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi)
Replied by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi) on topic New Player for November

Rook wrote: I have a number of medieval and renaissance costumes, but none of them are right for running around and fighting (i have lovely bruises from my pirate bodice from this past weekend at the rennfaire), but I figured out an outfit that works, and I'll keep upgrading it for future events.

You will be surprised over time what you learn to run and fight in, not that you should of course if you're constantly bruised. If bodices are your thing, I suggest one without metal bones for combat characters. My healer has a boned over bust one though, and since she's not usually being wacked with sticks, she does alright!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Amilia Tolunda - Romani - Healer
Aimee "Whisper" Whisperleaf - Dryad - Druid - Bard
Maive Lusterwryn - Londwyn - Alchemist

OOG: Julie Anne B
  • Cara Easton
  • Banned
  • Banned
24 Oct 2015 00:49 #7 by Cara Easton (Raeelle)
Oh one more question- I don't currently have any LARP appropriate weapons. My friend mentioned that I can borrow some? is that correct or should i try to see if i can find any in time. (This is what i get for deciding to come super last minute)

Thank you!

Marshal
Card Staff
  • Velius
  • Never walk into a fair fight when walking into an unfair fight is an option.
  • Thank Yous: 76
24 Oct 2015 08:15 - 24 Oct 2015 09:23 #8 by Velius (Velius)
Replied by Velius (Velius) on topic New Player for November

Rook wrote: Oh one more question- I don't currently have any LARP appropriate weapons. My friend mentioned that I can borrow some? is that correct or should i try to see if i can find any in time. (This is what i get for deciding to come super last minute)

Thank you!

I'll leave borrowing a weapon up to a logistics marshal to answer, but if you are looking to purchase a weapon, dark knight armoury is a 2 day ground ship to most places along the eastern seaboard. If you ordered a weapon this weekend you would get it mid week. Alternatively, Larpexchange sometimes sets up shop in the inn before events and sells weapons, armor, accessories, etc. I don't know how often he's there as I only recently resumed playing again in late August.

If I remember correctly, spell packets are BYO, but they can easily be made up without much trouble with a trip to Walmart.

"I don't always NPC. But when I do, it's for years at a time."
Last edit: 24 Oct 2015 09:23 by Velius (Velius). Reason: Phone thinks it knows English better than I do. It probably does.
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
24 Oct 2015 09:52 #9 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic New Player for November
For your first few events you can borrow a weapon. We know they aren't cheap so we lend them out to new players. However, we have to balance the amount of weapons we hand out to the weapons we need for NPCs

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
24 Oct 2015 10:22 #10 by vikingtroll (vikingtroll)
Replied by vikingtroll (vikingtroll) on topic New Player for November
Awesome information and thanks, I will buy a lot of socks. I'm new to this whole thing. Finding information around the site is rather difficult and or hidden.

Matthew Bella
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
24 Oct 2015 13:37 #11 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic New Player for November
Have you looked at the New Players! section of the website? Most of the info we think new people need can be found there. If there's something you feel is missing or could be added to help new players such as yourself, please let us know. We are proud of how the site is set-up & wanna make sure nothing is difficult to find or hidden. So again, let us know what you found hard to find/hidden so we can make sure it gets changed. Thanks.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Cara Easton
  • Banned
  • Banned
24 Oct 2015 21:29 #12 by Cara Easton (Raeelle)

Ser Renaith McKraegar wrote: For your first few events you can borrow a weapon. We know they aren't cheap so we lend them out to new players. However, we have to balance the amount of weapons we hand out to the weapons we need for NPCs

I decided to pick up the two basic weapons I need for my character so I'll have those in time. :) Thank you all for answering my questions.

Marshal
Card Staff
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.546 seconds