New and Excited

23 Mar 2016 17:29 - 23 Mar 2016 17:50 #1 by Nicholas Thibou (Nightking106)
New and Excited was created by Nicholas Thibou (Nightking106)
Hello all Nick here(no character name yet will work it out),

I am a hopeful new attendee to Knight Realms I have previous experience with Amtgard and I am very excited to immerse myself in Knight Realms. I plan on attending April 15th-17 and I will 9 chances out of 10 be NPCing the whole event to get a feel for it(and to save some cash) I am very excited and would like to know any good tips for a prospective like myself.

Nicholas Thibou
Last edit: 23 Mar 2016 17:50 by Nicholas Thibou (Nightking106).
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
23 Mar 2016 18:50 #2 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic New and Excited
Hey Nicholas. My name is Conor and I'm a new player marshal. Any specific questions, feel free to ask.

I'd give more advice, but at the moment I'm typing on my phone so I'll give my two cents when I get home.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
23 Mar 2016 20:26 #3 by Nicholas Thibou (Nightking106)
Replied by Nicholas Thibou (Nightking106) on topic New and Excited
I look forward to hearing your two-cents sir thank you. If I come up with any questions I shall make sure to ask in the meantime, Are NPC's that i portray during the weekend designed by me or am i filling a specific role and the roleplaying itself is up to me to bring to life?

Nicholas Thibou
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
23 Mar 2016 20:35 #4 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
The way weekend NPC's work is that you are given a role by the Monster Marshal on duty, and then you bring the role to life. So, at one time you may be a wolf out hunting, the next you could be a bandit, the next a spider, etc.

As to suggestions, bring a sleeping bag, and anything you would bring camping. If it's cold bring extra layers to go under your costuming.

Full time NPC's should wear black/dark colored clothes since basic costuming will be provided for them.

Many will say this one but, extra socks. The camp can get muddy(and it often rains during the events for some reason) and if you don't have waterproof boots, or even if you do, your feet may(probably will) get wet. Wet socks are miserable so bring extras.

Caelvan Renaith
[hr]
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
23 Mar 2016 23:08 #5 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic New and Excited
Conner pretty much hit the nail on the head with the intro to NPC'ing, but i can't emphasize enough how many pairs of socks to bring. You are also going to want comfortable boots to wear. Don't worry about them looking period, just shoot for comfort off the bat.

If you have any questions, feel free to post away, we have a bunch of great new player marshals and rules marshals that can answer your questions.

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
  • Onca
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 202
24 Mar 2016 11:03 #6 by Onca (Lorelai)
Replied by Onca (Lorelai) on topic New and Excited
Hi Nick! I'm Onca, another New Player Marshal, like the two above me.

I agree with both posts above, and I wanted to help dispel any uncertainty. Our Monster Marshals are very accustomed to new player NPCs and with them (and other NPCs) you'll get most, if not all, of the answers you need.

However, I also usually take on the role among the new player marshals of "New Player NPC Liaison", meaning I try to check in with you folks over the weekend, get feedback, answer questions, and generally make sure you're enjoying yourselves. Feel free to find me anytime during the event (and any other marshal, of course) if you just need someone to talk to, or have a question.

Looking forward to you joining us!

~ Lorelai Sihnon VonRitter
Huntress of Galladel
Head of House VonRitter of the Witch Hunter Academy

OOG:
Rachel Jump/Onca
(New Player Marshal)
24 Mar 2016 16:38 #7 by Nicholas Thibou (Nightking106)
Thank you all for the info. Another question should i bring basic garb or just the black clothes for NPCing?

Nicholas Thibou
24 Mar 2016 16:50 #8 by Dame Clytie Silverfang (itsgonnabemay)
Replied by Dame Clytie Silverfang (itsgonnabemay) on topic New and Excited
Hi there! I'm May, not a new player marshall, but still available to help if you'd like ^^

For NPCing, there is a walk-in closet of sorts filled with various pieces of garb for whatever role you get. Most people wear just a black shirt and pants and use that garb, but if you were to bring your own and took care of it, I'm sure no one would tell you no to using whatever you bring.

Dame Clytie Silverfang, the Pegasus
Knight of Travance
Master of the Mage's Guild

OOG- May Leonard
Kitchen Staff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nicholas Thibou (Nightking106)
24 Mar 2016 17:13 #9 by Nicholas Thibou (Nightking106)
I appreciate the input from everyone. Should I plan on staying with certain people and making arrangements or is it a free for all of sorts for who sleeps where and such?

Nicholas Thibou
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 Mar 2016 17:42 - 24 Mar 2016 17:43 #10 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
If you're coming with friends, sleep with them if you want.

Otherwise it's a first come first serve situation. Unless you are in a land as a character in which case most have their own cabins.

The barn we have has bunks in it usually the bunks are free all the time.

Caelvan Renaith
[hr]
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 24 Mar 2016 17:43 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
  • Onca
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 202
24 Mar 2016 21:58 #11 by Onca (Lorelai)
Replied by Onca (Lorelai) on topic New and Excited
To add to the NPC garb answer, I would suggest just black clothes. Your NPC roles will be various and you won't want to wear the same thing for all of them, all weekend. You may be a goblin for an hour, and then a merchant. And that's less laundry for you to lug home!

As for sleeping, if you are full-time NPC, you are encouraged to stay in the barn, but if you have friends playing PCs staying elsewhere, you can ask them to try to get you a bunk.

~ Lorelai Sihnon VonRitter
Huntress of Galladel
Head of House VonRitter of the Witch Hunter Academy

OOG:
Rachel Jump/Onca
(New Player Marshal)
25 Mar 2016 12:43 #12 by Nicholas Thibou (Nightking106)
Ok this popped into my head when I was reading over the waiver. I had leg surgery about 4 years ago due to an accident that shattered the leg bone. I can still walk and run albeit a little limpy and it can get sore after standing on it all day but it is well within my realm of tolerance. Will that inhibit the waiver that states I am in good Physical condition? I also have asthma and am a little chubbier than the average.

Nicholas Thibou
  • Kadin D
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 53
25 Mar 2016 23:05 #13 by Kadin D (Katie D)
Replied by Kadin D (Katie D) on topic New and Excited
Hey, this is Katie, one of the Safety Marshals as well as a New Player Marshal. As far as the Asthma goes, make sure you have one of the safety marshals sign off on your card that you have it, so we know it's on the card. Alternatively, if you have access to the Character Card system between events to view your card, you may put it on Player Medical Notes to have it permanently added to your card. If you have an inhaler, keep it on you at all times, and accessible.

As far as the leg concern, don't stress out over it, but make sure that you don't push yourself harder than you can handle. If it gets too bad, pull yourself out of combat and speak to a Safety Marshal, or notify a Rules Marshal on the mod why you are pulling yourself out, and we can take care of you. Even if you simply feel you need an ice pack, don't worry, we are here to help. I am always around with my Medbag, conveniently camouflaged as an in game backpack.

Like others have said, boots (that cover your ankles for support), socks, and bug spray (since it is now the season) are great things, if not a necessity to have. Pieces of fruit or granola bars are great to bring too, since they can provide the needed boost of energy to get you through the event. There is a feast on Saturday, and breakfast Saturday and Sunday mornings. Usually the NPC's are fed during their shift, but do not bank on it, just in case. And of course there is the ever popular Market Faire, where many people tend to serve some great food as well, mostly for in game coin once you start your PC.

Physician

Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

OOG - Katie DeFranza

New Player Marshal, Safety Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Nicholas Thibou (Nightking106)
25 Mar 2016 23:26 #14 by Nicholas Thibou (Nightking106)
Thank you for the info I will be sure to get into contact with the Safety Marshals. It isn't bad enough for an inhaler but if I am winded say from running continuously for a long period of time I may need to catch my breath for a moment. I know my limitations well and will be certain not to push myself. I have been getting better building strength back up in my leg and lungs from when I was younger and it didn't ail me so much so perhaps Knight Realms is the boost I need to get back into shape and be better physically.

As for snackables I will be sure to stock up on a good amount of items and will bring them with me. Also idk if food/drink donations are useful but I know I can get 24 packs of bottled water for pretty cheap so maybe I can buy a couple to give out? Also on that note should I bring water(i will have ig looking items to drink from) but where would I store the water so it stays cold?

Nicholas Thibou
25 Mar 2016 23:59 #15 by Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
Replied by Belketra Folles (pleasantexample) on topic New and Excited
Water is a great thing. Keeping it cold is nice, but not essential. There are a few (not many) fridges, and even fewer that players may use, but staying hydrated is more important than refreshed, quite frankly.

[hr]

OOG: DJ (She/her)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
26 Mar 2016 05:24 #16 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic New and Excited

Nicholas Thibou wrote: Also idk if food/drink donations are useful but I know I can get 24 packs of bottled water for pretty cheap so maybe I can buy a couple to give out? Also on that note should I bring water(i will have ig looking items to drink from) but where would I store the water so it stays cold?

Welcome, Nick! I'm Jeff, another New Player Marshal. There are a good amount of tall glass bottles in the fridge in the "Inn" and either a mug or a bottle is always free at the bar, so drink up! As well, there is a new water dispenser in Logistics (where you'll sign in and where you'll go for your NPC shift). That said, if you have a convenient way to carry water with you while you're meandering about or if you're sleeping far from there, it'd be a good idea to have some water for yourself and bunkmates.

As for other donations, typically there is a post in the Announcements forum asking for specific things needed that month:
www.knightrealms.com/forum/Announcements.html

Also there are some things that are always needed, as stated in the Rulebook:

Spell Packets (500 SP for 100 Tied Packets, 1,000 SP for 100 sewn packets)
Headbands (White and Blue, Yellow and Red)
Tiki-Torch Fuel
Powdered Drink Mixes
Boffer claws (Small Weapon and 1-Handed sizes, in pairs)
Inexpensive, generic latex weapons for NPC use
Glow Sticks (Bulk quantities of the larger kinds, for lighting up areas at night)

See you soon!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nicholas Thibou (Nightking106)
27 Mar 2016 10:45 #17 by Nicholas Thibou (Nightking106)
Unsure about the other stuff but Powder Drink Mixes I could probably get a couple boxes of those as well as the glowsticks. I look around a few local stores that I know carry those see how much I can get.

Nicholas Thibou
31 Mar 2016 11:36 - 31 Mar 2016 11:38 #18 by Nicholas Thibou (Nightking106)
Another question (im sure your tired of mine by now). I just received some gear I ordered for Knight Realms such as a dagger for combat a holder for it and a satchel to carry my things in. If I were to use these items as i'm NPCing then when I'm a player character would that be alright? I don't want to blend the NPC and PC together but I can't really afford tons of gear to specify the difference. But I like the idea of using my own weapons/gear so I can get used to it. I will use NPC weapons provided for me but id like to have the dagger on hand if need be.

Just a side note, got it all from Dark Knight Armoury that stuff is soo amazing!

Nicholas Thibou
Last edit: 31 Mar 2016 11:38 by Nicholas Thibou (Nightking106).
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
31 Mar 2016 12:21 - 31 Mar 2016 12:31 #19 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
There's nothing wrong with using your weapon as an NPC. As long as your costuming of your character, and the costuming of the NPC are significantly different to avoid confusion(example would be, if you wear a green long sleeve and black pants as your PC try to avoid anything close to that for NPCing). The gear I would avoid beyond the weapon, as the more of your character you wear the more confusing it is

An exception to this is if you have a very distinct weapon. Those are not allowed for the obvious reason of unique to your PC=NPC can't have it unless it's stolen(which, since you're using it, it can't be)

Caelvan Renaith
[hr]
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 31 Mar 2016 12:31 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
01 Apr 2016 11:41 #20 by Nicholas Thibou (Nightking106)
Alright well it looks very unique I'd say its a kris styled dagger with a gem inlaid in the handle and a spider web pattern on the blade and pommel so I guess I will save it for my PC then.

Nicholas Thibou
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
18 Apr 2016 13:53 #21 by Nicholas Thibou (Nightking106)
I had a great time at the April event. I can't wait to attend again. For those of you who didn't get the chance to ask when we met or were nearby. I was the NPC, Jack of the Bottle he was soo much fun for me to get into even though he was a completely random made up drunkard I developed a fondness for him. So you will be certain to be seeing more of him in moons to come. Eventually im hoping I can earn a fair amount of build through constant NPCing and be able to really delv into the world of travence and explore every nook and cranny. Thank you to all the Marshals who helped me during my stay so I could understand better and the friends I made who kept me company and provided bonds that i formed.

All in All it was a great experience and I will be sure to be seeing many of you in visits to come.

Nicholas Thibou
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 Apr 2016 14:34 #22 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Glad you had fun.

See you next time!!

Caelvan Renaith
[hr]
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 Apr 2016 17:48 #23 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
"Jack" was great and I was glad he wasn't just a half-hour guy, that you actually had time to have interactions and develop him. I sure wouldn't mind seeing him again. ;)

• Amilia Tolunda
  • Artist, Writer, Gamer
  • Thank Yous: 97
18 Apr 2016 18:39 #24 by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi)
Replied by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi) on topic New and Excited
He was hysterical! His actions with myself. Trent, and Creepy? Pure gold. I thought he was a PC! Well done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Amilia Tolunda - Romani - Healer
Aimee "Whisper" Whisperleaf - Dryad - Druid - Bard
Maive Lusterwryn - Londwyn - Alchemist

OOG: Julie Anne B
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j)
18 Apr 2016 20:52 #25 by Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
Replied by Belketra Folles (pleasantexample) on topic New and Excited
THAT WAS AN NPC?! Oh wow! Forgive me for being a bit brusque - I was in full mission mode.

[hr]

OOG: DJ (She/her)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • No matter where I go. It all traces back to the Mountain.
  • Thank Yous: 226
18 Apr 2016 23:38 #26 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Replied by Mantel (sigma-j) on topic New and Excited
I kind of had a feeling he was an NPC by his OOG looks, but I could have sworn he was a PC just by his persistence and RP! Well done!

Mantel Warrane (AWz., QMA; AM, WSS)
Grand Librarian Emeritus, Darkwood Academy of the Metaphysical Arts
Professor Emeritus of Weave Studies, Darkwood Academy
Warden of the Keep, Allied Territory of Corvancia

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 Apr 2016 23:55 #27 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
This is somewhat off-topic, though it is related. It's definitely a common occurrence where people treat an encounter differently if they know they're interacting with an NPC than they would with a PC. There shouldn't be a line separating the two. In much the same way that we suspend our disbelief when we're struck with a "fireball" and not a small bag of birdseed, we should do the same when someone is a barbarian who might be lacking fur and armor.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042), Belketra Folles (pleasantexample), Mantel (sigma-j), Cara Easton (Raeelle), Ergos (arieslink)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.708 seconds