New player - from abroad

• Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
03 Jul 2016 12:22 #31 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic New player - from abroad

DennisS wrote: We don't use spell packets over here, so I have no idea what other bio-degradable material you would commonly use to fill them. Rice? compacted wool/felt? Wood shavings?
Are there any materials other than bird seed that are acceptable at KR?

There are!

Spell Packets
Spell packets are bags of cloth, either sewn or tied shut, that are filled with bird seed, rice, dried beans, or other material that is safe to throw at someone. A spell packet should be large enough that it cannot easily enter someone's eye socket when thrown, and felt when it hits, but not so large (or heavy, or dense) that it will leave a welt when it hits.

If it's safe to throw, you're good to go.

- Cutlery, plates, bowls, cups, etc.: Is it common for players to bring their own or are they provided?

We encourage you to bring your own mug, flask, bottle, canteen, etc.--anything that you can carry around with you and refill as necessary. Whatever you think you would need to stay hydrated over the course of an event.

Having your own cutlery or plates and whatnot, isn't common, but you're not prohibited from bringing them if you want to. Breakfast in the Inn on Saturdays and Sundays is typically served on paper plates with plastic forks. The Feast on Saturday night is served with metal plates and forks and there are mugs/goblets set out for people to drink from.

- My gf will also join and play as an apprentice bard. Is there anything important to know about bards at KR in general - any difference from the classical entertainer or the DnD-jack-of-all-trades? Are they organized in some fashion?

Yay! I love new bards!

Aside from what's written in the Rulebook as a general guideline, there's no one theme that fits all of the bards at KR and we certainly are not organized! Some of us don't even sing (but we're working on it!).

Always questing for more stories and gossip to fuel the creative genius, bards often travel the Realm
to acquire more subject matter for their songs. This vagabond nature coupled with an extensive
memory makes a bard an ideal repository for a great deal of knowledge and lore.
When not employing the mystical aspects of their abilities, bards are frequently found entertaining
the common people in inns and taverns. They tend to be jovial and unpretentious, mingling easily
with the crowds, gathering their poetic inspiration.

She's free to play her bard however she'd like, but I am biased and would love to have the game occasionally transform into a musical.

...only 3 more weeks now, and looking forward to the game!

"Only." ;)

-Jeff

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
  • DennisS
  • Thank Yous: 26
03 Jul 2016 12:50 #32 by DennisS (DRSNova)
Replied by DennisS (DRSNova) on topic New player - from abroad
Ah, great - I only looked at the construction info for spell packets on this site, where it only said birdseed.

Having your own cutlery or plates and whatnot, isn't common, but you're not prohibited from bringing them if you want to. Breakfast in the Inn on Saturdays and Sundays is typically served on paper plates with plastic forks.

Good to know. I'd prefer to use my medieval stuff, but on the other hand I'm also looking for ways to save some luggage space.

As for the "only" - right now I'm preparing 3 sets clothes for 3 LARPs in 4 weeks (two in the US, one large one in Germany, I'm going there straight from the plane)...so I'd *love* to have a little bit more time.

Dennis S.
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Jul 2016 01:12 #33 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Understandable! The only sewing experience I have is a square pillow I made in a Home-Economics class about 14 years ago and that took me long enough. I can only imagine how much effort, stress, and sweat must go into making costumes--though I do have plenty of friends who know first-hand. Speaking of, I may have already recommended it, but the Knight Realms Costumers Forum is an unofficial group on Facebook where you can share or learn tips of the trade if you're having a bit of trouble!

Since I'm largely okay with my costume (I'd love it to look more period), I mainly spend my time between events wishing time would go by faster, because I'm addicted.

-Jeff

• Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • No matter where I go. It all traces back to the Mountain.
  • Thank Yous: 226
04 Jul 2016 02:29 #34 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Replied by Mantel (sigma-j) on topic New player - from abroad
As for bards, since in this world, Bardics are VERY similar to straight Mage spells, Bards often find themselves under the jurisdiction of the Mages' Guild in Kormyre. So your gf should not be surprised if they're approached by the Guild in any fashion. Don't worry! We don't bite. xD

I'm sure Jeff Balla above, who plays a Bard, would be more than happy to explain what any of that means to you or your gf, should you two have any questions!

Some info about the Guild from the rulebook!

Mages Guild And Spells
The Mages Guild Of Kormyre
The Mages Guild is an officially sanctioned guild by the Kingdom of Kormyre. Due to the unique nature of Magic and the potential for catastrophic events involving Magic, the guild is charged by the Kingdom to oversee the proper use and instruction of Magic throughout the Kingdom. In this role, the Guild often acts as a protective body for the Kingdom. Unlike the Clergy of the Church of Valos, Mages can and are held accountable to both the Kingdom’s and the Guild’s Laws. Guild Laws are also limited to infractions that deal with Magic or the functioning of the Guild itself. While punishments by the Guild are often so severe that the Ranking Noble chooses to not levy an additional penalty, it does at times occur.

The Guild’s influence in the Kingdom of Kormyre dates back to its foundation. The governing council of the Guild of Kormyre acts as an advisory body to the King. While the council’s expertise is all things magical, it is not uncommon for them to voice their opinions and suggestions on other matters of state. It is through this advisory position that the Guild exerts its political muscle. Individual Guild Masters often follow this example with the Ranking Noble in whichever land the Guild chapter resides. Despite this political advantage the Guild lacks the membership base that the Church of Valos maintains and so while the Guild may at times push their agenda past strong opposition from the Church of Valos, the Church of Valos has the greater sway at court. While the Church of Valos and the Guild of Kormyre are not diametrically opposed, it is not uncommon for the two organizations to butt heads in the political areas due to the differing agendas of the two organizations. This is also expanded upon by the Church’s dislike of the Guild’s ambivalent nature towards evil and the Guild’s frustration over the Church’s lack of understanding of the importance of the Weave to the Kingdom and all of Arawyn. Despite all this, it is common for the Guild and the Church to work hand in hand when a threat emerges or when doing so will clearly benefit the Kingdom and all involved.

The Guild does not possess any land, except that underneath the Guild Halls themselves. Being an essentially landless entity, the power of the Guild comes from the special privileges granted to it by the Kingdom. These privileges include the ability to oversee all magical matters, to regulate the use and instruction of Magic within the Kingdom, and to enforce Guild Laws.

The Guild is responsible for all Magic and all those who practice Magic within the Kingdom, whether those individual practitioners wish to see it as such or not is of little concern to the Guild or the Kingdom.

Mantel Warrane (AWz., QMA; AM, WSS)
Grand Librarian Emeritus, Darkwood Academy of the Metaphysical Arts
Professor Emeritus of Weave Studies, Darkwood Academy
Warden of the Keep, Allied Territory of Corvancia

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
  • DennisS
04 Jul 2016 03:34 #35 by DennisS (DRSNova)

Speaking of, I may have already recommended it, but the Knight Realms Costumers Forum is an unofficial group on Facebook where you can share or learn tips of the trade if you're having a bit of trouble!

Ah, thanks, I'll look into that. It's not that I have trouble doing anything, but the new clothes for my musketeer character (roughly like this) have an estimated 160 buttons. so....urgh.

Oh, and thanks both of you for the info, I'll pass it on to my gf. We'll do our final planning (and practice some music) this weekend. I'm pretty sure she'll be happy to be approached by guilds and the like, since we're not playing characters that will be around each other a lot, and it's her first time LARPing.

Dennis S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Jul 2016 13:57 #36 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Happy to help! We'll do our best to make sure you're both involved in the game and having a good time.

• DennisS
05 Jul 2016 19:16 #37 by DennisS (DRSNova)
I just read in another thread that you can go swimming in the lake? I guess i'll bring some extra braies then.

Dennis S.
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
05 Jul 2016 20:15 #38 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
You can! Please be careful, though.

• Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
05 Jul 2016 21:35 #39 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Swim with others if possible! There's always somebody willing to take a dip, if you ask around.

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
  • DennisS
06 Jul 2016 01:22 - 06 Jul 2016 01:23 #40 by DennisS (DRSNova)
Why exactly? Is the lake in some way dangerous? I'm a pretty capable swimmer.

Dennis S.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2016 01:23 by DennisS (DRSNova).
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
06 Jul 2016 02:27 #41 by Mantel (sigma-j)
I'm not certain of the Staff's position, so if any Safety Marshals see this, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to articulate it. I'd also like to know better. I don't think there's anything expressly against swimming alone, only that it's at your own risk, as there're no lifeguards.

Also: sunscreen. And bug spray. We're in a Zika-potential area, keep that in mind.

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

• DennisS
06 Jul 2016 03:20 #42 by DennisS (DRSNova)
Not that I'm planning to swim alone. It's just that a warning like that usually implies to me that there's some non-obvious danger I might not be aware of.

Yep, bug spray and sunscreen are already on my list.

Dennis S.
  • Velius
  • Never walk into a fair fight when walking into an unfair fight is an option.
  • Thank Yous: 76
06 Jul 2016 10:54 #43 by Velius (Velius)
Replied by Velius (Velius) on topic New player - from abroad

DennisS wrote: Not that I'm planning to swim alone. It's just that a warning like that usually implies to me that there's some non-obvious danger I might not be aware of.

Shoggoths, lizardkin, and the goddamn hydra. Oh, and Orias. Mostly Orias.

Also, safety first :)

"I don't always NPC. But when I do, it's for years at a time."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j), Ergos (arieslink)
  • DennisS
06 Jul 2016 11:20 #44 by DennisS (DRSNova)
What? No lake-sharks? No giant squid? I'm very disappointed now...

Dennis S.
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
06 Jul 2016 12:13 #45 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
We've already slayed the kraken--terribly sorry about that! Oh, and we ate it, too. It was rather spicy.

• Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
07 Jul 2016 00:40 #46 by Mantel (sigma-j)
It also smells really bad IG sometimes (OOG it's gorgeous!)... I'll let you FOIG the reason! :P

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

• DennisS
11 Jul 2016 04:10 #47 by DennisS (DRSNova)
Is there any way to reserve bedding for the two of us? We can't really bring a tent and/or cots, so having some place to sleep (that's not the ground) would be nice.
We're both not...large...so we should usually be able to share any moderately-sized bedding.

Also, are NPC shifts assigned on site? Given that my GF is new to LARP, and we're both new to KR of course, it might be best to start with first shift.

Dennis S.
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
11 Jul 2016 04:16 #48 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic New player - from abroad
I will see what i can do. As long as they're are no medical restrictions on where we can find beds for you.

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
  • DennisS
11 Jul 2016 04:32 #49 by DennisS (DRSNova)
No, no medical issues.

Dennis S.
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
11 Jul 2016 06:34 #50 by Mantel (sigma-j)
I'd suggest against taking 1st shift as new players, if only because new player training can run over (unlikely), and there are usually mods in 1st shift geared specifically towards new players. But, do as you please! Merely a suggestion.

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

• Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Jul 2016 12:45 #51 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
First shift and last shift are the most popular NPC shifts, because they allow players to get it "out of the way" and they can stay in character for a prolonged period. Make sure you two are at sign-in on time if you want to snag spots for each other.

• DennisS
11 Jul 2016 14:16 #52 by DennisS (DRSNova)
Ah, we'll be there very early anyway (well, as early as possible - 5:30, wasn't it?), since we don't exactly come from work that day ;) All we do that day is sleep away any jet lag, pick up our rental car in NYC and buy some provisions on the way. Probably help with setup or something until player orientation.

Dennis S.
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
11 Jul 2016 18:44 #53 by Mantel (sigma-j)
And if you come early, I think you'll have enough time with people around camp to spar and talk about the game that you won't necessarily have to take first shift to understand what's going on.

And as long as you've been reliably reading the rulebook and forums (which is seems you have.) :P

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

• Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
12 Jul 2016 01:51 #54 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)

DennisS wrote: Ah, we'll be there very early anyway (well, as early as possible - 5:30, wasn't it?), since we don't exactly come from work that day ;) All we do that day is sleep away any jet lag, pick up our rental car in NYC and buy some provisions on the way. Probably help with setup or something until player orientation.

Right, it's usually 5:00 p.m. or 5:30 p.m. unless otherwise stated (on the Knight Realms page on Facebook).

• Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
18 Jul 2016 18:49 - 18 Jul 2016 18:51 #55 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic New player - from abroad
Dennis, your beds are taken care of. Adventurers Guild building, which is visible from the main building. Middle bunks, middle and close to fireplace are yours.

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
Last edit: 18 Jul 2016 18:51 by Matt D (MattD).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
  • DennisS
18 Jul 2016 20:52 #56 by DennisS (DRSNova)
Great! Thanks a lot, it's very appreciated.

Dennis S.
  • DennisS
22 Jul 2016 10:06 #57 by DennisS (DRSNova)
Airlines sure know when it's the best time to lose your luggage for maximum impact :S

Currently waiting in Hoboken for delivery of it, will hopefully still be on time.

Dennis S.
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
22 Jul 2016 10:13 #58 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Fingers crossed your stuff gets there in a timely manner! With regards to time, please don't be on Camp until at least 5:30 p.m. today.

Best of luck to both of you and we'll see you tonight!

Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.712 seconds