New Players Arriving in June!

• Renn
  • Thank Yous: 0
12 Apr 2016 19:55 - 12 Apr 2016 19:57 #1 by Renn (ghosteez)
New Players Arriving in June! was created by Renn (ghosteez)
Hi everyone, my name is Christopher [Although I go by Alex with close friends, it's my middle name.. long story!] or Renn Karde as my character name.

I'm extremely excited to be attending Knights Realm in June, we will be driving from Illinois to meet up with our best friend in New York and we will all be attending together, all 4 first timers. We're totally new to the "LARP" scene but have lots of roleplay experience under our belts, and are super excited, and nervous! We've been pouring over our outfits and weapons trying to "fit in" and not embarrass ourselves too much!

From what I've read it's all love and smiles here, and that has eased my anxiety, and made us very excited to just join in!

I will personally be playing Renn Karde, a confident, yet indifferent hunter who moves from watering hole to watering hole to follow the coin trail. He holds no allegiances and has no qualms with getting his hands dirty, as long as it pays. He does have a fear of witches though, and will leave that hunting to the proper authority ;) And if the jobs aren't paying well enough, he doesn't mind taking .. "extra" coin from someone who might not "need" it! Think Boba Fett with the attitude of Han Solo is what I'm going for here! lol :)

Sorry this is a wall of text, we're just SUPER excited! I've been lurking and grasped two main things. 1. SOCKS. 2. COMFY SHOES! We plan on using our nice boots with custom made boot covers to keep it period appropriate.

I do have some questions, that of course as I begin typing here I can't remember! lol! If I can post here, or PM anyone with questions when they pop back into my head I'd love to know.

Any advice, suggestions, etc are more than welcome! We are new and want to learn. We keep late hours and the thought of hanging out in the inn at odd hours of the night meeting new adventurers is enough to get us giddy.

(Christopher Meyers)
Last edit: 12 Apr 2016 19:57 by Renn (ghosteez).
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
12 Apr 2016 20:41 #2 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic New Players Arriving in June!
Hey Chris! My names Conor and I'm a New Player Marshal.

Feel free to post questions below or send me a PM and I'll try to help.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
  • Kadin D
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 53
12 Apr 2016 21:25 #3 by Kadin D (Katie D)
Replied by Kadin D (Katie D) on topic New Players Arriving in June!
Hey, I'm Katie, I'm also a new player marshal. We are here to help you get set in any way we can. I will say, bring lots of socks and good sturdy boots.

Physician

Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

OOG - Katie DeFranza

New Player Marshal, Safety Marshal
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
13 Apr 2016 11:00 #4 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic New Players Arriving in June!
Good morning, Christopher! I'm Jeff, yet another New Player Marshal.

Renn wrote: I'm extremely excited to be attending Knights Realm in June, we will be driving from Illinois to meet up with our best friend in New York and we will all be attending together, all 4 first timers. We're totally new to the "LARP" scene but have lots of roleplay experience under our belts, and are super excited, and nervous! We've been pouring over our outfits and weapons trying to "fit in" and not embarrass ourselves too much!

I understand that you and your friends are putting in a lot of work on your outfits, but don't fret too much. Actually, my first event, I forgot to bring any and had to borrow some from a friend! Garb evolves over time and I have no doubt you guys will fit in eventually.

From what I've read it's all love and smiles here, and that has eased my anxiety, and made us very excited to just join in!

You're far from the only anxious larper, trust me.

Sorry this is a wall of text, we're just SUPER excited! I've been lurking and grasped two main things. 1. SOCKS. 2. COMFY SHOES! We plan on using our nice boots with custom made boot covers to keep it period appropriate.

Those are two of the most important things to bring, so good job.

I do have some questions, that of course as I begin typing here I can't remember! lol! If I can post here, or PM anyone with questions when they pop back into my head I'd love to know.

Post here, send a private message over the forums, or find one of us on Facebook and we'll be happy to help.

-Jeff

13 Apr 2016 12:13 #5 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic New Players Arriving in June!

Renn wrote: We plan on using our nice boots with custom made boot covers to keep it period appropriate.

Hi! Jason. Regular player, looking forward to meeting you and playing with you.

I would love to hear/see what you are doing with these boot covers. That sounds like a really cool idea, and if it works out, I may want to see how you did it!

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Renn
13 Apr 2016 17:46 - 13 Apr 2016 17:48 #6 by Renn (ghosteez)
Replied by Renn (ghosteez) on topic New Players Arriving in June!
May I ask what the required thickness specs are for a sword, are there any? We bought some second hand from a friend who does some larp but I think the thickness is roughly 12mm, for us it's fine, but I don't wanna be that guy who comes with a sword too hard and gets told its a no! lol. :)

Ahh, I see the core requires 5/8", hmm, our swords may not be usable, shame!

Caldor Eirson wrote:

Renn wrote: We plan on using our nice boots with custom made boot covers to keep it period appropriate.

Hi! Jason. Regular player, looking forward to meeting you and playing with you.

I would love to hear/see what you are doing with these boot covers. That sounds like a really cool idea, and if it works out, I may want to see how you did it!

We will be using suede, or something similar, with a full cover of the tongue of the boot, extended a bit up around our calves to keep it with style. A well hidden strap will wrap around the bottom of the boot, so in reality they just slip on, we'll be adding buttons and strings to the sides to make them look like real boots.

May sound a bit messy but we're working with some family on it who have 40+ years of being a seamstress behind them, she actually brought the idea up, and our concepts look great. I'd love to send pictures as I get them more finished.. here, or PM's?

(Christopher Meyers)
Last edit: 13 Apr 2016 17:48 by Renn (ghosteez).
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
13 Apr 2016 17:59 #7 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Are your friends swords homemade or did he order them online?

• Renn
13 Apr 2016 18:07 #8 by Renn (ghosteez)

TheBardAbides wrote: Are your friends swords homemade or did he order them online?

Truth be told, I'm not too sure! He hasn't larped in quite awhile, they used to do local events, and sold them to use for $10 a piece.

Measuring them out they're definitely about 12mm thick overall, which I assume isn't allowed. If so, which websites are best to purchase from and be legally allowed to be used?

Making weapons is on our list but we're all busy and may not be able to find time to before our first event

(Christopher Meyers)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
13 Apr 2016 18:18 - 13 Apr 2016 18:19 #9 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
You could always bring them with you when you check in and have them checked by a marshal to see if they pass inspection.

Otherwise, websites like Dark Knight Armoury, Medieval Collectibles, and Calimacil have larp-safe weapons for sale. As well, the Friday night of the event, there is usually someone at the Camp selling weapons at a table in the Inn.

Last edit: 13 Apr 2016 18:19 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Renn (ghosteez)
  • Renn
13 Apr 2016 18:25 #10 by Renn (ghosteez)

TheBardAbides wrote: You could always bring them with you when you check in and have them checked by a marshal to see if they pass inspection.

Otherwise, websites like Dark Knight Armoury, Medieval Collectibles, and Calimacil have larp-safe weapons for sale. As well, the Friday night of the event, there is usually someone at the Camp selling weapons at a table in the Inn.

Awesome, okay. We like Calimacil a lot, but have some designs we enjoy much more from Medieval Collectibles.

That or we might just use these swords as templates to make our own, we'll see, we still have a bit of time!

(Christopher Meyers)
13 Apr 2016 18:43 #11 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic New Players Arriving in June!
if you don't mind everyone else seeing them, post them here. Otherwise, I don't mind PMs.

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
13 Apr 2016 18:44 #12 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
I personally like the swords and weapons from Forgotten Dreams(I have both my swords and a spear from them), LARPExchange.com usually has them in stock and their rep is the person above Jeff is referring to.

However I used the swords ordered from Medieval Collectibles(which sometimes has FD weapons anyway) and I liked them as well.

Caelvan Renaith
[hr]
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
  • Renn
13 Apr 2016 19:07 - 13 Apr 2016 19:08 #13 by Renn (ghosteez)

Ser Renaith McKraegar wrote: I personally like the swords and weapons from Forgotten Dreams(I have both my swords and a spear from them), LARPExchange.com usually has them in stock and their rep is the person above Jeff is referring to.

However I used the swords ordered from Medieval Collectibles(which sometimes has FD weapons anyway) and I liked them as well.

Forgotten Dreams look nice, not too pricey either!

We're only slightly iffy on spending a lot on weaponry because honestly we're not sure how often we will be able to make the New York Drive, and our local larps don't appeal to us the way KR does. (I guess that's a compliment ;)

I don't want that to make me sound like I'm not willing to put money or effort into the experience though, I have many expensive hobbies including guns and guitars, lol!

Thank you all for the suggestions and warm welcome. You've eased us all in quite a bit, we know we will be "the new guys" but you haven't made us feel like "the new guys" if that makes sense :)

(Christopher Meyers)
Last edit: 13 Apr 2016 19:08 by Renn (ghosteez).
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
13 Apr 2016 19:12 #14 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)

We're only slightly iffy on spending a lot on weaponry because honestly we're not sure how often we will be able to make the New York Drive, and our local larps don't appeal to us the way KR does. (I guess that's a compliment ;)

Feel free to NPC! It doesn't cost you anything, you can stay for as little or as long as you want, and you earn build that you can put toward your characters!

Thank you all for the suggestions and warm welcome. You've eased us all in quite a bit, we know we will be "the new guys" but you haven't made us feel like "the new guys" if that makes sense :)

We're happy to help!

• Renn
13 Apr 2016 21:32 - 13 Apr 2016 21:35 #15 by Renn (ghosteez)
Full time NPC'ing is something we might do! We're still debating.

Please forgive all of my questions, I don't mean to be a bother.

I'm sorry if links aren't allowed, would anyone have any idea if something like this www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-36166-white-wolf-larp-sword.aspx is approved? I don't want to purchase something only for it to be to thin, or too hard. this one doesn't have the thickness, and maybe I'm over thinking this. I just don't want to gear up for our big drive and turn out I can't use any of my PC's gear!

Is plasti-dip acceptable for this LARP? I am trying to not ask questions that can be found in the rules, I went over the weapons section and saw nothing. If we go our own route, is that allowed, or latex or ductape only?

(Christopher Meyers)
Last edit: 13 Apr 2016 21:35 by Renn (ghosteez).
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
13 Apr 2016 21:47 #16 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
The sword shouldn't be a problem, however as with anything, we can't give a definite yes or no until it is in our hands.

That being said, most latex weapons are approved without an issue.

Caelvan Renaith
[hr]
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
13 Apr 2016 22:41 - 13 Apr 2016 22:43 #17 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)

Renn wrote: Please forgive all of my questions, I don't mean to be a bother.

This section of the forums was made for questions. Ask away.

Is plasti-dip acceptable for this LARP? I am trying to not ask questions that can be found in the rules, I went over the weapons section and saw nothing. If we go our own route, is that allowed, or latex or ductape only?

You are allowed to use plasti-dip but as with all homemade weapons, it'll have to be approved when you check in at game.

Last edit: 13 Apr 2016 22:43 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt D (MattD)
07 Jun 2016 01:13 #18 by Corson Vrill (Corson)
Replied by Corson Vrill (Corson) on topic New Players Arriving in June!
Hello. Just wondering if it's the event that starts Friday the 24th. Myself and a few friends plan on attending and we are in the same boat as you are. This will be our first larp, but we all have some RP experience.

(Salvatore G.) "It's the beauty, not the ugly, that hurts the most."
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.623 seconds