Interested Player Here!

• Blackfarrow
  • "My name is Death, and the end is near."
  • Thank Yous: 28
22 Jun 2016 00:36 #1 by Blackfarrow (Roman64)
Interested Player Here! was created by Blackfarrow (Roman64)
Hello Everyone!

My name is Isaiah Roa and too just cut to the chase, I have never LARPed before and am really interested in coming to one of these events to see how things work out. I've been reading the Core Rulebook and attempting to design my first PC, but I know its suggested to spend your first event as an NPC, observing from the background.

Do you guys have any tips on what I can do to get started. I'm already working on getting a costume together and building some boffer weapons, but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing ^^;

Thank you in advance for reading!

Jurian Blackfarrow
Private of the Baronial Guard of Travance

OOG: Isaiah Roa
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j), Melody Patience (MelodyPatience)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
22 Jun 2016 00:52 #2 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Interested Player Here!
Hi, Isaiah!

Welcome to Knight Realms! I'm one of the New Player Marshals here. You'll meet a bunch of us when you come out to play!

A lot of the time, I have no idea what I'm doing either, so you're not alone there. If you need help with costuming and weapons, there is a group on Facebook dedicated to both of those called the Knight Realms Costumers Forum. It's an unofficial group where you can ask for advice or if you have garb in mind and need someone to sew it for you, among other things.

Speaking of garb, yours--like everyone else's--will evolve over time. There's no pressure or requirement that it be perfect either now or down the road, so don't sweat it.

If there's anything else bugging you (about the game, but if you want to vent, you can send me a PM!), post away and we'll do our best.

-Jeff

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • No matter where I go. It all traces back to the Mountain.
  • Thank Yous: 226
22 Jun 2016 01:09 #3 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Replied by Mantel (sigma-j) on topic Interested Player Here!
Hey Isaiah! My name's Jusden. I'm just a player who wandered onto this board.

Speaking as someone who's never NPC'd for an entire event, I would say you would be fine IF you want to PC your first event. Although! I did end up taking two extra NPC shifts my first event just because I enjoyed it so much. ^_^ It really gets you a lot of broad experience with the system, really exercises the acting muscles, and introduces you to a lot of people very quickly!

Going into my 7th month of playing (and 9th month of stalking the rulebook/forums), and I still have so much to learn about the system, so don't worry about that! If you don't know what is going on, you can always put your weapon/fist on your head and call "Clarify." Any player will happily explain how the skill they just hit you with breaks two of your legs and leaves you with a sore headache for a couple hours.

I've seen veterans of YEARS call Clarify, and no one ever looks down on me when I call it. I don't know what half the Druidics do. xD

Looking forward to seeing you at game! Any questions, hit up my good friend Jeff above, or any other New Player Marshal.

Mantel Warrane (AWz., QMA; AM, WSS)
Grand Librarian Emeritus, Darkwood Academy of the Metaphysical Arts
Professor Emeritus of Weave Studies, Darkwood Academy
Warden of the Keep, Allied Territory of Corvancia

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
  • Onca
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 202
22 Jun 2016 21:25 #4 by Onca (Lorelai)
Replied by Onca (Lorelai) on topic Interested Player Here!
Hello Isaiah!

My name is Onca, I'm a New Player Marshal like Jeff.

It's hard to prep on a website for a game where we put away our devices all weekend - you can make a list, and a character, and costuming, but it comes down to the experience. If you know what sort of character you want to try, we can help make you one! You have 3 events to test-drive your PC and if you really do not think it works for you, you can rewrite.

NPCing is a good way to get a feel for the game in bits and pieces - just make sure you tell your marshal you are a new player, and ask if you could swap into some RP roles sometimes, to get a feel for more than just combat combat combat. This also alleviates the cost/added stress of costuming, while you feel out what you want to spend money on and how you want to adorn a PC.

I'd suggest coming to a game for a few hours, or Friday into Saturday, if you're really uncertain, though travel is a factor. You could also just dive right in (most of us did!) and go for the entire weekend.

Remember to pack smart - socks, in case of rain. Bedding. Black clothes without logos for NPC duty (even if you make a PC, 4 hours of NPC is required). Food or drink if you so choose. Costuming if you are making a PC.

Feel free to message me or any other new player marshal with questions!

~ Lorelai Sihnon VonRitter
Huntress of Galladel
Head of House VonRitter of the Witch Hunter Academy

OOG:
Rachel Jump/Onca
(New Player Marshal)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j), Melody Patience (MelodyPatience)
09 Jul 2016 12:57 - 09 Jul 2016 12:57 #5 by Melody Patience (MelodyPatience)
Replied by Melody Patience (MelodyPatience) on topic Interested Player Here!
Hi! My name is Melody and I've been wanting to try out LARP for a while now, but I'm not really sure how to get into it. If anyone has any pointers or advice for me it's extremely welcome. I think I want to be an NPC for my first game to get an idea of what's going on. Also, any advice on creating a character or pretty much anything else is welcome, since I really have no idea what I'm doing. Thank you guys!

Melody Patience
Last edit: 09 Jul 2016 12:57 by Melody Patience (MelodyPatience).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
09 Jul 2016 17:39 #6 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Interested Player Here!
Hi, Melody!

It's okay, sometimes we have no idea what we're doing either! Haha. I'm Jeff, one of the New Player Marshals here. NPCing is definitely a good way to test the waters. When you get to Logistics, which is the central hub where we handle all sorts of things (paying admission, signing in, in-game bank withdrawals, etc.), let the Monster Marshal know that you're new and want a mix of combat and roleplay (RP) roles.

Some advice I can give is that when you're playing a role, try to empty your mind of "out of game" (OOG) or real life thoughts. It'll help you better get into character and perform the role that much more capably.

Secondly, let loose. Knight Realms is a social laboratory where everything is fictional, especially the consequences. Your character isn't your actual self, so if in real life you're a turtle with its head tucked inside its shell like I used to be, come be the opposite.

Thirdly, your garb/costume/outfit will evolve over time and if it isn't perfect the first time around, don't worry about it.

Fourthly (which I didn't know was a word), when you're creating a character, try to make one whose personality and behavior is decently different from your real life self. It'll help when you're playing them.

Finally, go for it. We've all goofed quite a few times and if you fall on your face--figuratively or unfortunately literally--we'll be here to help.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask here or PM either myself or another New Player Marshal.

-Jeff

The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt D (MattD), Mantel (sigma-j), Melody Patience (MelodyPatience)
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
10 Jul 2016 06:15 #7 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic Interested Player Here!
Hi melody, Matt here, another New player Marshal. Another possibility for a new character is YOU. My first character was simply me, the way I wanted to be represented in medieval times. Later the character evolved into me with super powers. The morals and emotions of my character were the same as me in real life, but real life me wasn't able to cast spells.... the character was though! So if you aren't sure of a character concept,you could always go the route i did.

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.506 seconds