New Druid Joining In July

08 Jul 2016 11:48 #1 by Cavan O'Caiside (Lunestarvex)
New Druid Joining In July was created by Cavan O'Caiside (Lunestarvex)
Hi All!

Many of you I have met at DexCon, but here is my formal introduction. I am intending to come for the July session. Got mah kilt coming and everything. Very excited to see you all again. Other than Socks, water bottle, sunscreen, and DEET, are there any other backup essentials I should bring?

More Quick Questions-
I have some severe food allergies and as such I will need to bring ALL my own food and mostly likely cannot participate in feasts ( I can sit and watch but cannot partake of food). Will there be enough space in the fridge for one persons 3-days worth of food + other people's? I don't want to hog the fridge. Should I bring a cooler?

The food allergy also brings up the fact that I do have epipens that I will be carrying on me at all times since I cant very well ask every person I shake hands with what they last ate. Is there a medical team or triage somewhere on site I should check in with?

Lastly, Sleeping. I may or may not have a tent to go to in game.. Peeps if you see this- Claim me now!

Mother's Blessing on you all.
Cavan

(OOG: Alex Young)
08 Jul 2016 12:15 - 08 Jul 2016 12:17 #2 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic New Druid Joining In July
Alex,

Good to hear from you. I'm one of the Kitchen Marshals, and will help you make sure your food is in a safe place in the fridge and that all the other Kitchen staff are aware of it. Please let us know what the allergies (PM or at event, and make sure its on your card) so that both the safety marshals and kitchen marshals are prepared for them in case something happens.

For food storage, we have a player fridge. Make sure to label EVERYTHING with your name. As you have food allergies and special needs, your food will have some priority.

We have safety marshals who are on site at all times, and their names and numbers will be on a white board in logistics. I'll leave anything else to the Safety or New Player Marshals.

Also - I will check, but we may have space in our 'family tent'. Touch base with me and I'll let you know.

Jason

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
Last edit: 08 Jul 2016 12:17 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Imrahil (Brendan Barrett), Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
08 Jul 2016 18:37 - 08 Jul 2016 18:40 #3 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic New Druid Joining In July
Hi, Alex!

I'm one of the New Player Marshals that Jason alluded to. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it out to DexCon this year, but I'm glad you had a good time!

Since you already mentioned food, I don't need to mention snacks. Plus I can see you've been warned about socks (they're very important!). Bring pens that you don't mind losing, because that is a thing that happens all the time. If they have feathers attached, awesome, but don't worry if they don't fit the genre. You might also want a little journal that you can carry around if you need to write down something, if you don't already have one.

A black shirt and black pair of pants for your NPC duty are essential. Also, make sure you arrive at Logistics in your NPC garb and not your character's garb, to keep things running smoothly. If you like, you're welcome to take the extra step and bring the following (from the Rulebook):

Bring some generic In-Game looking garb that is NOT your PC's clothing. You want to look
In-Game, but not like your PC. Additional costuming will be provided (Masks, tabards,
makeup, etc.) but it is helpful if you bring the basics.

In other words, if you have spare garb that would fit the atmosphere of the game, feel free to bring it with you to better look the part. You should still arrive in all-black clothing, though.

You'll learn about the various headbands at the training class, but make sure you have one white headband and one blue headband. The white headband means someone is "out of game" (OOG)--pretty self explanatory. There are some skills in the game that require you to use one. People who are marshaling encounters will have them on and either narrate scenes, monitor interactions to make sure they're honky-dory rules-wise, or describe atmospheric effects or traps.

Hopefully you won't need the blue one, but carry it on you anyway. Without spoiling anything, July may or may not be treacherous. If your character reaches the end of their death count, you have two options. One is to lie there for a maximum of two hours, during which window a physician can use the skill Reanimation to bring you back from the dead. Option two is to leave your possessions where your body would be and don the blue headband. As per the Rulebook:

Passing On
Upon reaching the end of the Critical stage of health, put on a blue headband to signify that you are
dead (and playing your spirit), and drop all your in-game possessions to signify your body as still being
there. All non bound possessions carried on the body remain at the site of death. You may now
seek out a means of returning to life. While the spirit will remember everything that happened up until
they died, once they die, they cannot perceive anything on the material plane except for buildings,
healers and priests (as faint glowing spheres), and the Phokus (as a bright glowing sphere).

If I think of anything else that you should bring, especially to your first game, I'll either update my post or make another reply. In the meantime, if there's anything else you wanna know about, ask.

Welcome aboard!

-Jeff

Last edit: 08 Jul 2016 18:40 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian T. (Renthios), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • No matter where I go. It all traces back to the Mountain.
  • Thank Yous: 226
08 Jul 2016 19:05 #4 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Replied by Mantel (sigma-j) on topic New Druid Joining In July
Swim gear and a towel, if you want it! The lake is really nice when you need to cool down.

Mantel Warrane (AWz., QMA; AM, WSS)
Grand Librarian Emeritus, Darkwood Academy of the Metaphysical Arts
Professor Emeritus of Weave Studies, Darkwood Academy
Warden of the Keep, Allied Territory of Corvancia

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
14 Jul 2016 10:15 #5 by Cavan O'Caiside (Lunestarvex)
Replied by Cavan O'Caiside (Lunestarvex) on topic New Druid Joining In July
So I'm coming up with a veteran player and he said I should just come in my garb- but you're saying come prepped to NPC right off the bat?
Do we start NPC shifts so quickly as newbies then? Or is it just to identify who needs to go in training? Thanks for the detailed response!

• Tobias
  • Thank Yous: 72
14 Jul 2016 12:05 #6 by Tobias (Tobias)
Replied by Tobias (Tobias) on topic New Druid Joining In July
You'll be taking an NPC shift in addition to playing in game- so if your garb would be inappropriate to looking "generic", then you probably want to bring a swap.

Tobias Armitage-
OOG- Jason Feldman

Monster Marshal
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
14 Jul 2016 12:15 #7 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic New Druid Joining In July

Cavan wrote: So I'm coming up with a veteran player and he said I should just come in my garb- but you're saying come prepped to NPC right off the bat?

black shirt and black pair of pants for your NPC duty are essential. Also, make sure you arrive at Logistics in your NPC garb and not your character's garb, to keep things running smoothly. If you like, you're welcome to take the extra step and bring the following (from the Rulebook):

What Jeff meant was whenever you come to do your npc shift don't wear your characters garb.

You can wear your characters garb when you check in, though if you plan on taking first npc shift, I'd advise against it as you would just have to take it off before lay on.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Jul 2016 12:24 #8 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Conor summed it up.

Sorry for any confusion, Alex. Coming in your garb to sign in and play is A-okay; when you're coming for your NPC shift, make sure you have your required gear.

-Jeff

14 Jul 2016 12:34 #9 by Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
Replied by Belketra Folles (pleasantexample) on topic New Druid Joining In July
On the topic of signing in in your garb, it can be a lot of fun (and help!) to ride up in garb, getting in character the whole time.

[hr]

OOG: DJ (She/her)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
14 Jul 2016 12:49 #10 by Arradir Go-Dringol (DaPhysicist)
Replied by Arradir Go-Dringol (DaPhysicist) on topic New Druid Joining In July
In addition, I highly recommend you attend the Druid's Conclave meeting at 4pm on Saturday. The location changes, but will most likely occur in the valley clearing surrounded by trees across from the Tavern's kitchen and along the road to Kaladonia. Find me at any time during game if you need anything related to druid/ranger or baronial stuff. I am usually easy to spot according to others (elf with the yellow/black tabard and the gold/black bandanna tied around his neck).

~ Joe G.

The Insightful, Knight of Pendarvin
OOG: Joe Glaser | Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Caldor Eirson (Caldor), Mantel (sigma-j)
14 Jul 2016 18:04 #11 by Cavan O'Caiside (Lunestarvex)
I don't think I have any generic garb separate from my garb for the character. So Ill just bring the black clothes.

Joe- thank you, I will! Sounds like a good place to me met like-minded spirits.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
14 Jul 2016 18:10 #12 by Cavan O'Caiside (Lunestarvex)
Also, does anyone have a list of the current Celt Clans? Don't want to double up on a name by accident.
Thanks!

• Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Jul 2016 21:02 #13 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Del Dragon
McBride
MacInnes
McKraegar
MacPherson
McSweeney
Uidhir

I may have missed a few, but I believe those are the main ones.

-Jeff

14 Jul 2016 22:39 - 14 Jul 2016 22:41 #14 by Thalia Burdorn (abbyl)
Replied by Thalia Burdorn (abbyl) on topic New Druid Joining In July
ALEX!!!
It's Abby. Really glad that you're coming to the event! Cannot wait to see you! <3

I took a quick glance above, but I don't know if anyone said it yet, but in addition to Jason and the rest of the kitchen staff (of which I am part) I'd pull a safety marshal aside and let them know just in case something happens. Even with the epipens, better safe than sorry.
-Abby

Thalia Stonebar Burdorn
Consul of Kaladonia
Warden of the Phocus
Ambassador to Calasvorin
Manager, Dragon's Claw Inn;

OOG: Abby Leib
Last edit: 14 Jul 2016 22:41 by Thalia Burdorn (abbyl).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
14 Jul 2016 23:23 #15 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic New Druid Joining In July

Nalick wrote: Del Dragon
McBride
MacInnes
McKraegar
MacPherson
McSweeney
Uidhir

I may have missed a few, but I believe those are the main ones.

-Jeff

McTavish

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
15 Jul 2016 00:19 #16 by Cavan O'Caiside (Lunestarvex)
Thank you! I've picked one I think.

• Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
15 Jul 2016 00:49 #17 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Think there was a McCoy somewhere, too.

I also have a Luxeuil.

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
15 Jul 2016 00:55 #18 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Ooh, I like that one! Nice pick!

Looking forward to Celting with you.

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

15 Jul 2016 01:00 #19 by Cavan O'Caiside (Lunestarvex)
O'Caiside? (Pronounced O' Cassidy) thanks! Looking forward to it too! God I hope my kilt comes in time.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
15 Jul 2016 01:18 - 15 Jul 2016 01:19 #20 by Mantel (sigma-j)
I was hoping that's how you pronounced it. Love it.

If the kilt delays, don't fear. I'm sure any amount of plaid, and a fair accent, will be fine for your first event. We're all pretty understanding, and everyone starts somewhere. The important parts are the fun you have and friends you make.

As Geoff Schaller (who plays Gideon Weaveforger) once said, in a random blog I stumbled upon looking for inspiration for my first costume a few months ago: "It’s one thing to hear 'Nice costume' – it’s another to hear 'Wow, you’re costume’s improved over the past few months – I can’t wait to see what’s next!'"

As an aside: what a small world.

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

Last edit: 15 Jul 2016 01:19 by Mantel (sigma-j).
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 Jul 2016 02:51 #21 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
In addition, feel free to either post a thread in the Off Topic boards here on the Forums or the unofficial group Knight Realms Costumers Forum on Facebook, that you're hoping to borrow a kilt. You might find someone willing to lend you one should yours not arrive in time!

-Jeff

The following user(s) said Thank You: Caldor Eirson (Caldor), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lad... Never hit if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting.... But if ye have to hit, never hit soft
  • Thank Yous: 537
17 Jul 2016 12:07 #22 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Replied by JTinney (Swordsaint) on topic New Druid Joining In July
They forgot MacKenzie on that list. :)

Hi Alex,

I'm John, one of the Safety Marshals and I saw the note about food allergies and the like.

Please message me privately with what they are, any other major medical thing that might be up with you and how bad your reaction is.

I'm happy to see you will have Epipens on yourself- knowing where you will stow them will be important too, should they be needed.

Knowledge is power and forewarned is fore armed. :)

Food thing- as others have covered, names on stuff very important. If there is no room in the fridge, I *strongly* recommend a cooler and it be one that seals real well.

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Templar-High Priest of Brazen
Chaplain, Bloodspirits Mercenary Company

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.693 seconds