Help with Smith Paths

25 Jul 2016 18:38 #1 by Killroy Rambutan (Killroy Rambutan)
Help with Smith Paths was created by Killroy Rambutan (Killroy Rambutan)
New player here! Just finished my first weekend

Hello :cheer: I was hoping that someone could clarify a few things for choosing my ranked skills in my smithing paths. I read in the rulebook that every skill has a prerequisite of the rank before it but on the character builder, there is no level requirement for the skills? So does that mean that I can go all the way to my ranked 4 ability for Metalsmithing as long as I do the first three?

Another question I have is regarding forging weapons and having physreps for them. If I have a physrep weapon that had an item card, can I forge that into a new weapon? If I have a physrep that has no item card yet can I forge that into a superior weapon? With the correct amount of points of course.

Third, where can I find uncommon materials and higher? Are they purchased IG or are they found?

Fourth, I read that a rank 3 or higher forge must be put in one spot for the duration of the event but does that mean that a rank one and two can be moved with me? Can I set it up in my tent but then bring it down to the lake?

Lastly, I was laughing about it with my friends but Door Reinforcements......can they be used on our tents?

Thanks to all of you for a great weekend. Everyone was so nice and welcoming even if it was 1000 degrees out.

Killroy Rambutan
This is my partner Pemba.......talk to him.

OOG: David Chandler
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Terzak
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Tell me, thief, do you know anything about MAGIC?
  • Thank Yous: 154
25 Jul 2016 20:46 - 25 Jul 2016 20:47 #2 by Terzak (TheArchMage)
Replied by Terzak (TheArchMage) on topic Help with Smith Paths
Though I am not a marshal of any kind, I am a casual scholar of the rulebook, and I believe this passage may help you:

'Almighty Rulebook, hear my prayer; Logos, Recordos, Clarificus, Informus, Holy Word Rules-Marshallus: Grant Quote!'

Changing Weapons: If a character has on them an additional phys rep for a given armament item card type (1 HE, 2HB, etc), they may at any time chose to switch phys reps by either sheathing or dropping their first phys rep and taking out the additional phys rep, representing the character changing weapons. If a character does not have an additional phys rep for a given armament item card type, they must spend 20 seconds actively changing their weapons. If they take any action that affects another person, they must start counting the 20 seconds again. It is assumed that if you do not have an additional phys rep for a given armament item card type, that you do not have an additional armament of that type ready to be used in combat.

The underlined sentence proves that one physrep can represent multiple item cards. This means that you can forge a new weapon item card and use an old physrep for it, or forge a superior weapon item card (or any type of armament really) and use either the exact same or completely different physrep for it (except in the case of using a dagger as an armor physrep or vice-versa, as that'd be weird.)

Hope that helps!

By my hand,
Professor Terzak Winstonshire

OOG: Will Harrington
Last edit: 25 Jul 2016 20:47 by Terzak (TheArchMage).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Killroy Rambutan (Killroy Rambutan)
25 Jul 2016 22:58 #3 by Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
Replied by Belketra Folles (pleasantexample) on topic Help with Smith Paths
Prayer shield.

[hr]

OOG: DJ (She/her)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terzak (TheArchMage), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
26 Jul 2016 04:08 - 26 Jul 2016 04:10 #4 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Help with Smith Paths
Hi, David! I'm glad you had a great time even though, yeah, we could've cooked pizzas on the back porch of the Inn!

I read in the rulebook that every skill has a prerequisite of the rank before it but on the character builder, there is no level requirement for the skills? So does that mean that I can go all the way to my ranked 4 ability for Metalsmithing as long as I do the first three?

That's right. There's no level requirement in the Rulebook either. Just make sure you have at least one of each skill of the preceding rank.

Fourth, I read that a rank 3 or higher forge must be put in one spot for the duration of the event but does that mean that a rank one and two can be moved with me? Can I set it up in my tent but then bring it down to the lake?

Yes and yes.

Lastly, I was laughing about it with my friends but Door Reinforcements......can they be used on our tents?

Door Reinforcements can indeed be used on tents, as they are basically a cabin.

-Jeff

Last edit: 26 Jul 2016 04:10 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j), Killroy Rambutan (Killroy Rambutan)
26 Jul 2016 09:27 #5 by Corson Vrill (Corson)
Replied by Corson Vrill (Corson) on topic Help with Smith Paths
Dave I really hope door reinforcements do not require us to lay any more yarn by our entrance lol.

(Salvatore G.) "It's the beauty, not the ugly, that hurts the most."
26 Jul 2016 10:37 #6 by Killroy Rambutan (Killroy Rambutan)
Replied by Killroy Rambutan (Killroy Rambutan) on topic Help with Smith Paths
Thank you all for the clarifications, it makes me feel very happy that I choose smith. Now i cannot wait to work on my character a bit and be ready for the next event I can make. :cheer:

I might just put yarn hanging from the top of the tent just to annoy Joe :silly:

Killroy Rambutan

The following user(s) said Thank You: Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
26 Jul 2016 10:39 #7 by Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
Replied by Belketra Folles (pleasantexample) on topic Help with Smith Paths
My best friend plays a smith and enjoys it to no end - I think it's a really killer list, and we ALWAYS need more. Good on ya!

[hr]

OOG: DJ (She/her)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
26 Jul 2016 11:54 #8 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
For any wards you put on a tent/cabin, please make sure you have an area note that's visible and legible for people to read (especially Rules Marshals). Area notes are available at Logistics!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j), Killroy Rambutan (Killroy Rambutan)
26 Jul 2016 12:21 #9 by Killroy Rambutan (Killroy Rambutan)
Replied by Killroy Rambutan (Killroy Rambutan) on topic Help with Smith Paths
Thanks Jeff I will definitely be doing that because I can not believe how many times I ran from my tent in the night haha. Also anything you can tell me about the materials for smithing? How to find them, buy them, use them?

Killroy Rambutan

• Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
26 Jul 2016 13:38 - 26 Jul 2016 13:51 #10 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Melting down gold and silver coins nets you gold and silver bars. A friend who plays the official Smith of the Barony (the Baronial Quartermaster) told me that gold and silver are the only uncommon materials now. You can also purchase Fates at check-in with either service points or gold. Some of them--like Fate of Lesser Supply or Fate of Greater Supply--will grant you smithing materials. In addition, NPC merchants as well as other characters often have them for sale.

If you post on the Dragon's Claw that you're in need of bars of a certain ore, you are bound to be smothered by offers.

Last edit: 26 Jul 2016 13:51 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.523 seconds