New Ranger with Druid spell questions

04 Aug 2016 09:18 #1 by Jon Bateman (Enjorlas1832)
New Ranger with Druid spell questions was created by Jon Bateman (Enjorlas1832)
Hi everyone,

My name is Jon and I'm really looking forward to coming to the August event. It will be my first LARP. I'm excited to play a ranger. For those of you who play druids or rangers, what Rank 1 druid spells do you find the most useful? I'm planning on primarily using a bastard sword, but some spells would be nice for utility.

Thanks for the help!

Jon Bateman
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
04 Aug 2016 09:58 - 04 Aug 2016 10:09 #2 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic New Ranger with Druid spell questions
Hi Jon!
Name's Conor. I play a ranger.

Forceful gust and cure minor wounds I feel are always useful.

I also find myself using catlike grace and grasp with roots a lot as well.

Grasp with roots allows you to strike at a pinned opponent.
Forceful gust gives you some breathing room.
Healing is always nice.
Catlike grace gives you an extra defense.

So it depends what you want to do for your character.

If you want to be an aggressive character then perhaps grasp with roots and forceful gust.

A battle line fighter would probably have cat like grace and cure minor wounds.

Each person will most likely tell you different recommendations because of the character they play.

Happy thinking!!

Feel free to find me both In Game, or Out of Game and we can talk further if you want/need to.

See you at game.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 04 Aug 2016 10:09 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j)
04 Aug 2016 11:25 #3 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic New Ranger with Druid spell questions
Ok.. I know its against the rules to respond when not a NPM, but dammit Conor, you KNOW I have to push Germinate.

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lad... Never hit if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting.... But if ye have to hit, never hit soft
  • Thank Yous: 537
06 Aug 2016 08:50 #4 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Replied by JTinney (Swordsaint) on topic New Ranger with Druid spell questions

Jon Bateman wrote: Hi everyone,

My name is Jon and I'm really looking forward to coming to the August event. It will be my first LARP. I'm excited to play a ranger. For those of you who play druids or rangers, what Rank 1 druid spells do you find the most useful? I'm planning on primarily using a bastard sword, but some spells would be nice for utility.

Thanks for the help!

Hi Jon,

I'm John, a safety marshal, occasionally help with new player stuff (I hold an ooc event that caters to new and old players) and also a player of a Ranger with the same primary weapon as you are looking to use.

Much of what Conor mentions about the druidics we have access to is spot on- though you are going to find that Grasp With Roots will be used more for buying you time to either get away from something you don't have business fighting or let cavalry arrive to help you with the problem.

In my experience, I've found Bear Strength to useful for when you do have to fight and Inviolate Form as a wonderful defense against all those poisons out there.

Very much as stated, only you can decide what direction you intend on taking your PC- I think ranger is one of the few classes where there is like five different directions to go for a building path- and none are wrong, just a matter of taste.

If you would like to talk and compare notes on directions and experiences (my first year I spent as a ranger (and I started at level 1. :) ) only so I know the struggle well. :) )

Welcome to the game and to one of the most useful and underrated classes in the community- my opinion, of course. Other's mileage will vary...

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Templar-High Priest of Brazen
Chaplain, Bloodspirits Mercenary Company

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
06 Aug 2016 11:57 #5 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic New Ranger with Druid spell questions

Caldor Eirson wrote: Ok.. I know its against the rules to respond when not a NPM, but dammit Conor, you KNOW I have to push Germinate.

Actually, since he asked a subjective question and not one about the rules, it wouldn't be against the rules to offer your opinion.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy (Andy), Mantel (sigma-j)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.487 seconds