Preemptive Skills Questions

15 Aug 2016 15:02 - 15 Aug 2016 15:27 #1 by KindaMermish (KindaMermish)
Preemptive Skills Questions was created by KindaMermish (KindaMermish)
Hello hello,

Totally stoked to have been introduced to this by my brother who played with you all this past weekend (Kurteth on this board, Seth is his IG) and cannot wait to join in a few weeks. With my brother's help, my boyfriend and I have been doing a lot of research in an effort to make our first experience as great as it possibly can be. Being that I work in theatre, keeping everything character and world appropriate is huge for me. So, I'm working hard to make it all fit together.

That said, I have a couple of questions that I have not been able to answer, despite my best research on the site and in the rule book.

1. If we have skills OOG that fit in the IG world, how would it be best for us to incorporate those? For example, I heard from my brother that people had food that they sold for IG coin, which of course they baked OOG. How does that work? Do you just assume that character X has in game baking skills. Or is there a build cost for that?

2. Are there secondary skills that may not be directly related to our profession that we can acquire? For example, if I wanted to be a Bard or Alchemist--could I also scribe on the side since I'm mildly obsessed with hand-lettering and calligraphy work that would easily fit into the medieval style of this world?

3. How is it determined what items your character is allowed to bring IG with you? For example, I have a lot of ideas of things I would like to make for my character, but how do I know that I won't be wasting my time, because they aren't allowed? (For example--if I know how to make a hand bound book, and make a spell book with hand written stuff in it, can I use this, and will it be allowed?) This directly relates to how I am creating my character's background, so it is important to know before I dive too deeply into putting her history together and fleshing it out. I know, I know, this annoying theatre kid cannot let the logistics go--sue me, but for a dramaturgy it's ALL about the details and continuity?

4. IG work/jobs, how is it allowed? And what ISN'T allowed in that regard? I know people can sell their services for IG coin (which sounds AMAZING and I cannot wait to do it), but what are the limitations on that?

5. Photos--if I manage to disguise my cell, can I use it to snap some photos? I am looking forward to fully immersing myself IG, but I would love to occasionally place my hand on my head and snap some pics for posterity.

EDIT: 6. Ahhh! I discovered another question. I see that when you open a magic profession you are granted 1 free Magic Point, but how does one acquire more of those?

I know this is a lot, and for a newbie I probably sound insane, but I'm SO excited.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Much love,
Sasha

Penelope Veronese

OOG: Sasha P.
Last edit: 15 Aug 2016 15:27 by KindaMermish (KindaMermish).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seth (Kurteth)
15 Aug 2016 15:31 #2 by Calven Tanwyn (Jyamp2)
Replied by Calven Tanwyn (Jyamp2) on topic Preemptive Skills Question
Hey Sasha! You raise a lot of good questions. I'll just jump right into answering.

1. Various players use their OOG skills to supplement RP (role play) for their characters. For example, every game I go out and buy a couple six packs of IBC root beer and cream soda, the lack of label gives it a passable IG look and feel, therefore my character sells them and tell other characters that he brewed it himself, when OOG I clearly did not. If you are a good cook or crafter, feel free to let your character be those things as well.

2. I have seen characters have hobbies and different interests that are completely separate from their professions. A smith/warrior, who isn't a bard, may also like to sing or write poetry. Scribing is no issue, so long as you have the ability to read and write IG per the skill Literacy or Advanced Literacy.

3. It really depends. People bring weapons and armor into the game that serve a purpose. I could give you a better idea if you could tell me what your thinking.

4. When I think of IG work or jobs I think of working for a business or completing a task for an individual while in character. Is this what you mean? Or are you specifically wondering about the sale of service? Knight Realms sometimes has different vendors that come and sell there goods. I haven't seen much monitoring on the sale of personally crafted items at game so long as it is at an appropriate time and location and whatever is being sold is appropriate for a PG-13 game. I may have missed the answer so feel free to elaborate on this thread or shoot me a personal message.

5. If you can disguise your camera and keep it discreet, without breaking the atmosphere of the current scene, I see no issue here. We try really hard at Knight Realms to ensure that the atmosphere of the game is intact as often as possible. That being said, permission to photograph should be obtained beforehand.

Any other clarifications or questions, let us know. Can't wait to see you at camp!

Tanwyn, Calven

OOG: Jared Yampolsky
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Argyle Del Dragon (AngryCelt), KindaMermish (KindaMermish)
15 Aug 2016 15:37 #3 by KindaMermish (KindaMermish)
Replied by KindaMermish (KindaMermish) on topic Preemptive Skills Question
This was all SUPER helpful. I think all of those explanations are great.

Now--only because I'm insane and REALLY love to make stuff--how do we know which stuff is needed for donation toward IG activities each time? Will it be posted in advance?

For example, I know this time y'all needed glow sticks, but it could be something else in the future that I have the ability to make and I'd be into doing that if I can.

Penelope Veronese

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
15 Aug 2016 20:55 #4 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Preemptive Skills Question
Hi, Sasha!

So, as per the Rulebook, there are a few things that are always welcomed as donations:

Spell Packets (500 SP for 100 Tied Packets, 1,000 SP for 100 sewn packets)

Headbands (White and Blue, Yellow and Red)

Tiki-Torch Fuel

Powdered Drink Mixes

Boffer claws (Small Weapon and 1-Handed sizes, in pairs)

Inexpensive, generic latex weapons for NPC use

Glow Sticks (Bulk quantities of the larger kinds, for lighting up areas at night)

Index cards, pens, and period-appropriate clothing would also be appreciated, as well as rolls of ribbon (yellow, red, white, green, and blue, approximately 1.5 inches (it doesn't need to be exact).

In any event, I absolutely love when people make things. Feel free to check out the Knight Realms Costumer Forum on Facebook. It's an unofficial group for and by players and I think you'd be a good fit there.

Hope to see you soon!

-Jeff

The following user(s) said Thank You: KindaMermish (KindaMermish)
16 Aug 2016 12:37 #5 by KindaMermish (KindaMermish)
Replied by KindaMermish (KindaMermish) on topic Preemptive Skills Question
Awesome! I'll definitely be making some of those things for my character anyway, so why not keep going and make some extras. I would love to see things I made flying around the IG world. It sounds fun!

Thank you all for you help! It's been an internal struggle, but I'm getting closer to how this character will end up.

Penelope Veronese

• Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • No matter where I go. It all traces back to the Mountain.
  • Thank Yous: 226
16 Aug 2016 19:11 #6 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Replied by Mantel (sigma-j) on topic Preemptive Skills Questions
I know we definitely need some of the red ribbon, we ran out on my NPC shift. Any of the white, yellow, red, blue, or green ribbons can be 1" to 1.5" like Jeff said.

We also also need black clothespins for pickpocketing, which we also ran out of on my shift. Any kind work, though the finer the tip, the better. And they must be 100% black, so if there are any shiny metal parts, definitely hit them with some spray paint.

Also forgot to mention black ribbon, between 1/4" and 1/2" in diameter, for use for bound items.

Mantel Warrane (AWz., QMA; AM, WSS)
Grand Librarian Emeritus, Darkwood Academy of the Metaphysical Arts
Professor Emeritus of Weave Studies, Darkwood Academy
Warden of the Keep, Allied Territory of Corvancia

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
16 Aug 2016 22:34 #7 by KindaMermish (KindaMermish)
Replied by KindaMermish (KindaMermish) on topic Preemptive Skills Questions
I think my boyfriend will be bringing ribbon and whatnot for helping out. I'll probably make spell packs, because I can never do anything simple. #problems

Penelope Veronese

• Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
17 Aug 2016 14:39 #8 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Preemptive Skills Questions
If you need help with those internal struggles, shoot me a message! I'll see what I can do.

-Jeff

Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.500 seconds