New Player - Celtic Ranger

11 Nov 2016 16:13 #1 by Fenris Nattulv (dhaas987)
New Player - Celtic Ranger was created by Fenris Nattulv (dhaas987)
Hello,

My name is Dan, and I'm a new player. I've attended one event so far, the October event, where I NPCed for the weekend. I'm not exactly an experienced fighter, (unlike some of my friends), but I do have extensive RP experience through Improv club, tabletop RPG's, and a little bit of less-well-organized LARPing.

I've created a character, Fynn, who I'm looking forward to playing here in the upcoming months. I have a couple concerns though, mostly involving costuming. I'm aware that Celts are required to wear kilts, yet I am unable to find any store in my area that sells them. I am reluctant to purchase one online, as I would prefer one that fits properly. Also, how does one go about wearing a kilt during the winter months? Is it permissible to wear, for instance, a pair of black sweatpants under the kilt for the purpose of staying warm?

I look forward to joining the world of Travance, and meeting some of the people I've heard so much about!

- Fenris Nattulv

-Alt: Jonathan Carter, Minstrel of the Road

OOG: Daniel Haas
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
11 Nov 2016 16:37 - 11 Nov 2016 16:48 #2 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic New Player - Celtic Ranger
Hi, Dan!

I'm Jeff, one of the New Player Marshals here. Combat experience will come in time and if you don't have everything nailed down, don't sweat it.

As for the kilt, I messaged some friends of mine who play Celts for suggestions and here are two websites recommended:

USA Kilts:
www.usakilts.com/

Sport Kilt:
sportkilt.com/

It is absolutely permissible to wear thermals or sweats underneath your kilt in the winter time. When it's colder out, we tend to focus more on your safety than immersion.

If you have any more questions, post them here and one of us should get around to answering them. Just be aware that the Winterdark Ball (a one day KR event) is tomorrow and many people who would otherwise be trawling the forums, are making last-minute preparations for it.

-Jeff

Last edit: 11 Nov 2016 16:48 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fenris Nattulv (dhaas987)
  • Grumpy
  • May be appeased with kittens.
  • Thank Yous: 64
13 Nov 2016 02:22 #3 by Grumpy (Bookwyrm)
Replied by Grumpy (Bookwyrm) on topic New Player - Celtic Ranger
Incidentally, "Celtic Ranger" sounds like a great album name. Perhaps one of our bards will compose it.

Main: Grigori the grumpy healer, adopted member of the Tribe of Berk, adviser to Chief Darius Redmaw.
Alt: Dorian White, physician and alchemist for hire.
Alt: Ruy Sanchez de Castor y Ortiz, the best swordsman in all of Coast Haven!

OOC: Matthew Bowman
Science fiction and fantasy editor, longtime tabletop GM, newbie KR player.
14 Nov 2016 18:01 #4 by Arradir Go-Dringol (DaPhysicist)
Replied by Arradir Go-Dringol (DaPhysicist) on topic New Player - Celtic Ranger
I can personally vouch for the quality of Sports Kilt. They can take a bit to get in, but they are fantastic quality. If you don't know already, you measure the kilt length by kneeling down and measuring the height from the ground to your hips.

If you have any questions regarding the ranger class, feel free to reach out to me at game or on the forums.

~ Joe G.

The Insightful, Knight of Pendarvin
OOG: Joe Glaser | Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j), Fenris Nattulv (dhaas987)
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lad... Never hit if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting.... But if ye have to hit, never hit soft
  • Thank Yous: 537
15 Nov 2016 11:40 - 15 Nov 2016 11:41 #5 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Replied by JTinney (Swordsaint) on topic New Player - Celtic Ranger
First off- welcome to Knight Realms and the wonderful world of being a PC. :cheer:

Fynn MacMarra wrote: Hello,

I've created a character, Fynn, who I'm looking forward to playing here in the upcoming months. I have a couple concerns though, mostly involving costuming. I'm aware that Celts are required to wear kilts, yet I am unable to find any store in my area that sells them. I am reluctant to purchase one online, as I would prefer one that fits properly. Also, how does one go about wearing a kilt during the winter months? Is it permissible to wear, for instance, a pair of black sweatpants under the kilt for the purpose of staying warm?

It is permissible.... as Player Safety is important and as I tend to comment during the Winter Safety Briefs, Hypothermia doesn't care who you are. Jeff hit it right on the head.

Warmth during the winter months in a Kilt.... for me, it depended on how "heavy" the material of my kilt was. Not all material is the same- I had a poly-blend and currently have a wool Blackwatch kilt and the weight was vastly different.
The Wool one keeps me warm enough in the cold; it is wool and not terribly permeable to wind which helps keep the lower core worm. My Current kilt (V-Kilt from Verillas) in my Merc Colors, is a bit lighter but not too permeable to wind- it will be an experiment this go as to how cold I feel.

It was warm enough for November with temps in the upper 30's to 40's; 20's will be a bit different and I'm ready for it.

Legs and such... some wear Underarmor Thermal, some wear sweats. I happen not to- the only leg protection from cold I tend to have is the leather leg armor (horseman's half-chaps) that goes up to just below my knees and a good cloak to wrap in. I'm not everyone and you are the only person who knows what you can handle temp-wise.

No lie- some folks though me crazy; no doubt, some still do. :) The only time I went with sweats was the Single Digits event... where the HIGH was only like 8 degrees Fahrenheit... most other times, the cloak, leg armor and activity are enough.

This year, I am looking at adding a soft cloth inner layer (jerzee material maybe) to the leg armor as it will help with warmth and some of the abrasion I get from the thermal halfchap set I have (stupid seam on top does not like my upper calf)

If you like, contact me via PM or on Facebook; I can direct you to some inexpensive leg protection similar to what I have which will help with the warmth for the next few months.

I also play a ranger (some folks have forgotten this with all the priest stuff I do) and can help you with some of that too. My lessons on woodcraft parts are actually practical-based. :)

-John T.

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Templar-High Priest of Brazen
Chaplain, Bloodspirits Mercenary Company

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
Last edit: 15 Nov 2016 11:41 by JTinney (Swordsaint).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j), Alexei Jengiefsky (chrisbouchard), Fenris Nattulv (dhaas987)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.495 seconds