Character Development Questions!

• Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
09 Mar 2017 23:31 - 11 Mar 2017 16:15 #1 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Character Development Questions! was created by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Hey guys!

I'm Jeff, one of the New Player Marshals here (I'll be your New Player Marshal this evening. Can I start you all off with some larp?). One of the things I wish I did before I started, is flesh out my character's identity. It makes your experience all the more real and all the more fun, so here we go with some questions to get you started.

I Have A Particular Set of Skills
When you choose a "profession" like Warrior or Assassin or something in between, what you're really choosing, is a skill set. Some of the Rulebook professions make sense as who your character is, like a mage or an alchemist, but does your character have a job? Do they have a hobby? What do they do to pay the bills (butcher, baker, candlestick maker, etc.)?

How did your character acquire those skills? What did they do in their former life before arriving in Travance?

One of my characters works at a bar, so when people ask him, "What do you do," I tell them I'm a bartender. The fact that they give me an odd look and repeat the question afterward, is irrelevant.

So... Ya Like Bread?
Like a real person(!) your character probably has a favorite dish. What do they love to eat? What's their comfort food?

I Know A Song That Gets On Everybody's Nerves...
Pet peeves. What drives your character up the wall? Do they have any personality quirks? Nervous tics? Things they do with their hands when they're bored?

Goals Both long and short-term goals are perhaps one of the most important things to consider when figuring out "Who Will You Be?". What does your character hope to accomplish and where does Travance fit into those schemes and dreams?

If You Don't Know, Ask
This is a great rule of thumb, especially you got hit with a weapon or a spell packet and someone shouted a series of words that you don't quite understand--in which case, say the word "Clarify" and they'll explain what it does. If they can't explain what it does, it does not take effect. Asking is also important if you're not familiar with someone and want to role-play with them physically. Some people may appreciate more of an area of personal space if they don't know you too well and they'll appreciate you checking first. Put your fist on your head and ask, "Do you consent to physical role-play?" If you want to also describe what you want to do, even better.

There you have it, a few things to chew on whether or not you have a character yet--BUT don't answer the questions here. Jot them down whenever you get the chance and let the answers come to light through your role-play.

If you have any character-defining advice that you want to share in a post below this, please do! As well, if you have any questions about Knight Realms in general, feel free to make a thread or message me personally. I'll be here if you need me!

-Jeff

Last edit: 11 Mar 2017 16:15 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt D (MattD), Mantel (sigma-j), Grashügel (HAZMAT221), Seth (Kurteth), Finn (Fenris)
  • Grashügel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Safety Marshal
  • Thank Yous: 241
10 Mar 2017 09:43 #2 by Grashügel (HAZMAT221)
Replied by Grashügel (HAZMAT221) on topic Character Development Questions!
To add on what Jeff said, don't be afraid to see where IG actions and Roleplay take you and your character. There we times where I didn't know what to do with my PC, however, certain events in game lead me down paths I didn't necessarily consider or actively pursue. The winds can have a surprising effect on you as player and how your character grows and develops.

Taylor Meise
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
10 Mar 2017 13:08 #3 by Moostrav Potrevski ()
Replied by Moostrav Potrevski () on topic Character Development Questions!
To add. If you are playing a crazy character, give some logic to their madness; even if it only makes sense to them. Give them reasons for what they are doing.

On the other side of things you can go all out with it. And leave no one feeling comfortable around you. Oog i always find this impressive to see.

Moostrav Potrevski
1 of the 8 Heads of the Potrevski family

Jacob F.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
10 Mar 2017 14:00 - 10 Mar 2017 14:00 #4 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Character Development Questions!

Grashügel wrote: To add on what Jeff said, don't be afraid to see where IG actions and Roleplay take you and your character. There we times where I didn't know what to do with my PC, however, certain events in game lead me down paths I didn't necessarily consider or actively pursue. The winds can have a surprising effect on you as player and how your character grows and develops.

I certainly never imagined playing a Priest.

Moostrav Potrevski wrote: To add. If you are playing a crazy character, give some logic to their madness; even if it only makes sense to them. Give them reasons for what they are doing.

On the other side of things you can go all out with it. And leave no one feeling comfortable around you. Oog i always find this impressive to see.

Definitely dive head-long into the role-play, but make sure it's just their character that isn't feeling comfortable.

Last edit: 10 Mar 2017 14:00 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chumana Lind (msneden2), Mantel (sigma-j)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.662 seconds