Ratio

• Ephrem
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Lux et lex, fiat iustitia.
  • Thank Yous: 364
03 Apr 2017 07:41 #1 by Ephrem (bamore62)
Ratio was created by Ephrem (bamore62)
Can anyone advise as to what would be a wise ratio to spend on skills/body/career points?
The first 50 build was fun to partition. I'm still new and getting relatively larger amounts of build now, but the build will be more sparse as time goes on so I'm looking ahead and wondering what more experienced people have done with partitioning their spending.

Father Ephrem
Primus of the Church of Light in Travance
the Heart of Valos

OOG: Bryan Amore
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
03 Apr 2017 08:18 - 04 Apr 2017 17:28 #2 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic Ratio
Because the first 15 build has a bonus to it, and 16-30 is the base build cost, i went with the first 30. After that, it is free game

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
Last edit: 04 Apr 2017 17:28 by Matt D (MattD). Reason: Autocorrect failure
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Ephrem (bamore62)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
03 Apr 2017 10:03 #3 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Ratio
Squirreling away some build each event into Body/Career Points is a smart investment, because you will gradually see an increase even if it doesn't seem like much at the time. As for a specific number, that's complicated and the answer doesn't even stop at "Well, it depends what kind of character you play," because everyone has different play styles. You could have a Bard who rarely sings, for instance. Ahem.

Think of the skills you use most often and where you are when a fight breaks out. Those two factors should help you figure out roughly where your points should go.

Also remember that if you're under three events attended, you're still eligible to rewrite, which includes everything from name, race, class, body points--anything!

-Jeff

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ephrem (bamore62)
03 Apr 2017 10:56 #4 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic Ratio
I hope it is ok for me to respond to this, as it is asking advise, not rules.

If you are going to be a heavy (or pure) caster, I really recommend putting some build to Casting points every event, especially when you earn a lot of build. It doesn't pay to get all the prayers/spells and not have the ability to cast them reliably. When you get up to higher levels, having a solid casting pool base makes your life easier when you have to start paying for expensive things with low per-event earnings.

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt D (MattD), JTinney (Swordsaint), Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Cara Easton (Raeelle), Ephrem (bamore62)
  • Cara Easton
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I do not fear the dark. Only then can you see the stars.
  • Thank Yous: 324
03 Apr 2017 12:44 #5 by Cara Easton (Raeelle)
Replied by Cara Easton (Raeelle) on topic Ratio
I second Jason. As a caster, until I broke 50mp I was running out of points every period. Even after that I went through most of them every period. If you're a caster, try to put one point into career points each game if you can. If you're a fighter, it's a bit harder because you'll have to budget build to save for purchasing, but knowing you have a specific skill in mind helps to budget.

For newer players, definitely get to that 15 points in body sooner rather than later- it makes you less likely to drop fast and you get extra for your points because of ratio.

Alt : Laurel Astraeus

OOG: Rae L
Marshal
Card Staff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Caldor Eirson (Caldor), Ephrem (bamore62)
  • Cara Easton
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I do not fear the dark. Only then can you see the stars.
  • Thank Yous: 324
03 Apr 2017 12:49 #6 by Cara Easton (Raeelle)
Replied by Cara Easton (Raeelle) on topic Ratio
Also, after a few games you'll realize what skills you seem to use more than others. For example, I realized early on I needed a lot of disarm traps because if the kinds of mods I was on. I learned 9, because thst got me through most mods I was on. Now that I don't really do those kinds of mods I don't stack extras of that skill, and I've even unlearned uses of skills I rarely used on that list. Now I'm more combat heavy and magic heavy; so each game I try to stack one body and one magic point unless there's a specific skill I'm saving for.

The good thing about the KR system is that you can always unlearn things you don't need.

Alt : Laurel Astraeus

OOG: Rae L
Marshal
Card Staff
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Apr 2017 13:43 #7 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)

Caldor Eirson wrote: I hope it is ok for me to respond to this, as it is asking advise, not rules.

It is and it's appreciated!

• Ergos
  • Thank Yous: 88
03 Apr 2017 14:08 #8 by Ergos (arieslink)
Replied by Ergos (arieslink) on topic Ratio
It all depends on how you want to play. My characters are not at all combat-heavy, so I invested very little build into body so that I could spend build on casting points and skills. For me, that's a fine trade-off because even if I did have a lot of body, I wouldn't last too long in combat because of how the rest of their cards are built. For my one character, I cast a whole lot, so I have a whole lot of build in my casting points. My other character does not cast a lot, so I don't have as many casting points with him so that I could afford different skills for the character.

It all comes down to how you want to enjoy your time in game. Think of your ideal game with this character (or think of a different character, if you wanted to rewrite) and build around that. In the end, the numbers don't matter all too much as long as you're having fun.

[Card Marshal]
[OOG: Adam Grimes]
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Apr 2017 15:24 #9 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
For me, starting out was a lot different, because "back in my day" (four years ago) we started with 10 build. That said, my real-life shyness led me to barely using either of the Spell Songs I had on my level 1 Bard card, so I didn't have that great a need for additional Spell Song Points. There are some months when I wish I had more, but some months when I barely use any, so it's been difficult deciding whether to invest more into Spell Song Points and Faith Points--I definitely use the latter more often.

I definitely made the mistake later on of learning more bardic tricks without having a good amount of "ammo" to back up my arsenal, to make a weird analogy to what Jason wrote above.

• Velius
  • Never walk into a fair fight when walking into an unfair fight is an option.
  • Thank Yous: 76
03 Apr 2017 16:53 #10 by Velius (Velius)
Replied by Velius (Velius) on topic Ratio
To echo upon what Adam said, it really comes down to how you like to play and how you want to portray the character, and also in what direction the game takes you. For instance I have a caster list, however my character's bread and butter is wading into the thick of it and cutting people in half with a greatsword. As a result I balance the caster skills and casting points I pick up with proportionate amounts of melee skills and body points in order to keep my body and armor multipliers as close to 3 and 4 as possible. I'm certain I have far less casting points than most casters my level, but that's not what the character's focus is.

"I don't always NPC. But when I do, it's for years at a time."
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lad... Never hit if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting.... But if ye have to hit, never hit soft
  • Thank Yous: 537
04 Apr 2017 13:15 - 04 Apr 2017 13:17 #11 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Replied by JTinney (Swordsaint) on topic Ratio
As I happen to play a Priest (as one of my professions on Duncan)... much of the advice given so far is fairly sound.

If you plan on getting what's called "Stuck In" (aka be a fighting preacher) then get defenses and body early as well putting some in the faith point (FP) pool. Prayers and other skills become an As Needed purchase.

If you plan on being the Pastor and Scholarly sort of priest, then it is more FP Pool then Prayers then other skills as needed. If you are playing a Kormyrian, you can go a bit lighter on the FP as the racial really helps out early on (before you have a large pool built up).

Until you are over the 20 point level in FP, I'd stay away from the rank 4 prayers as much as possible. They just plain EAT your casting pool... Myself, I have 30 and its generally enough for what I do as a fighting/war priest. I say generally because sometimes I have to use my Rank 4's and their 6 fp cost is much more than I would like using on a single prayer when managing my FP in any given period.

Much like Rachael stated for her.... 50 points of available casting resources is a solid number to have and will last a good while, depending on how active you are as a caster.

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Templar-High Priest of Brazen
Chaplain, Bloodspirits Mercenary Company

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
Last edit: 04 Apr 2017 13:17 by JTinney (Swordsaint).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Ephrem (bamore62)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.543 seconds