New player questions

• John Mc
  • Thank Yous: 0
24 Jan 2018 00:18 #1 by John Mc (mackyhaas)
New player questions was created by John Mc (mackyhaas)
HI everyone. I've been looking threw the website and I'm interested in attending the march event. Hopefully with a couple friends.

I have some questions about how everything generally works. Sleeping arrangements, what to bring, what to do with brought food, a cooler, stove, and personal hygiene products, current era bedding, etc.?

Also I'm trying to figure out a character and was wondering if the classes that are on the rulebook off the website (Dec. 2015 version) are all available for a new player.

I believe you are given 50 build to start, I am a little unclear how ro spend them. Do you have to learn higher skills from another player with the teach skill or can I purchase the higher level skill useing the starting 50 build?

Also was interested in how trades worked. I couldn't really find a list of one's to choose from and didn't fully understand how they worked.

Sorry if these are total noob questions. I appreciate any help! Thank you!!

(Oog: John Mc)

(oog: John Mc)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
24 Jan 2018 02:32 - 24 Jan 2018 02:33 #2 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic New player questions
Coolers are totally cool(!), but we do have an industrial refrigerator that you can use provided that your name is on whatever you store inside of it.

You can use your stove, so long as it's a safe distance from a tent or building.

In general, sleeping arrangements are first-come, first-sleep. You should (unlike me my first time) bring garb, a sleeping bag, and given the weather forecast for March, perhaps extra sleeping gear. Sometimes March is cold. Your bedding can be from whatever era, but if you want to have Victorian-era bedding at the latest, more power to you, buddy!

How you spend your build depends on the type of character you plan on playing. I'm available on Facebook and also via Private Message here on the forums if you need help figuring out all of that (like I did).

Higher-lists have a build requirement (at least 100 build spent into the lower list, so it's unlikely, to say the least, that someone would enter the game with such a list).

Let us know what job or hobby you think would fit your character and we'll figure out which trade would work best. There are so many of them that throwing a dart anywhere could land on something suitable.

Please don't feel the need to apologize for asking questions. You're new, yes, but asking questions about something completely new to you is not only completely understandable, but intelligent. Thank you for asking those questions!

Here if you have any more,
-Jeff

Last edit: 24 Jan 2018 02:33 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Mc (mackyhaas)
24 Jan 2018 07:12 #3 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic New player questions
Slight addition from the kitchen staff. Space in the player fridge can sometimes fill up quickly, so if you plan to bring a large volume of food that needs storage please reach out to one of us in advance. Coolers are a great way to keep your own stuff separate and not have to worry about fridge space.

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
  • John Mc
24 Jan 2018 15:03 #4 by John Mc (mackyhaas)
Replied by John Mc (mackyhaas) on topic New player questions
Thank you! Wasn't planing on bringing alot of stuff, just wasn't sure what I was supposed to do with it. A personal cooler would be plenty. What do I do with the cooler itself though? Is it ok to have a random modern day cooler in some bunk? Does it go in the kitchen? Stay in the car? Is the kitchen or cars far from where the bunks would be?

• Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
24 Jan 2018 15:12 - 24 Jan 2018 15:14 #5 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic New player questions
You can keep it near your bunk.
If it’s small enough to fit under your bunk, perfect.
If not, just cover it with a blanket(Black is most often used), keep it out of the way and it won’t be a problem.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 24 Jan 2018 15:14 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
  • John Mc
24 Jan 2018 15:21 #6 by John Mc (mackyhaas)
So first come first sleep? If I'm the 1st to arrive, what I have my choice of master bedroom? If I'm the last to arrive do I get told oh well go sleep in a ditch? Hope the goblins don't eat you. Lol I'm not opposed to it,(the just sleeping out on the ground part, not the goblin part) just wondering what the options are.

What about things like a toothbrush? Keep it in the car? It's ok in the bunks? Or phones, soap, deodorant, etc.?

As far as character building, I'll send you a pm if that's ok for specifics. Generally I was wondering for example there are rank 1 skill for x build and a rank 2 skill for x build. Can a new character start off with the rank 2 skill by useing the starting build to buy both rank 1 and 2 skills or can you only buy the rank 1 skill and have to learn the higher skill later? I didn't see about character level requirements, only other skill requirements, so can you buy them both off the bat?

• John Mc
24 Jan 2018 15:23 #7 by John Mc (mackyhaas)
Got you! Thank you!

• Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
24 Jan 2018 16:50 - 24 Jan 2018 16:56 #8 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic New player questions
As far as sleeping,
There are some buildings that do reserve spaces. The director has a master sheet in Logistics during check in so that if you aren’t part of a group that plans ahead you can ask where is free.
Generally the two largest buildings(the Inn and the Barn) are non reserving spaces with the exception of 2 rooms which are usually marked.

Toiletries can be kept under your bed or in your car. The general rule for any gear, in and out of game, is if you can put it under your bed that is best, if not, put it somewhere out of the way, and if it’s out of game cover it with a cloth or blanket.

In regards to your rank question, generally unless a skill has a level requirement(level is spent build divided by 10) you can get it at creation provided any other prerequisites are fulfilled.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 24 Jan 2018 16:56 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), John Mc (mackyhaas)
  • John Mc
25 Jan 2018 12:54 #9 by John Mc (mackyhaas)
Thank you for the info!! I'll have to go over the skills that are up to make sure the requirements.

• John Mc
27 Jan 2018 21:25 #10 by John Mc (mackyhaas)
Hey. I have been useing the character creation tool up on the website to put my character together. I may have just missed it but the Literacy skill doesn't appear under the commoner skills list? Is it no longer available there or is it mistakingly missing? Thank you!!

• Cara Easton
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I do not fear the dark. Only then can you see the stars.
  • Thank Yous: 324
28 Jan 2018 14:54 #11 by Cara Easton (Raeelle)
Replied by Cara Easton (Raeelle) on topic New player questions
Hi John,

Literacy has been removed from the skill lists and is now considered known by everyone.

Alt : Laurel Astraeus

OOG: Rae L
Marshal
Card Staff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), John Mc (mackyhaas)
  • John Mc
28 Jan 2018 15:00 #12 by John Mc (mackyhaas)
Thank you!!! I'm finding alot of updates. Is there a more current version of the rulebook somewhere?

• Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
28 Jan 2018 16:58 #13 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic New player questions
Not just yet. There are some new rules going into effect in March, so watch the website for the update!

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
  • John Mc
29 Jan 2018 03:01 #14 by John Mc (mackyhaas)
Thank you! Definitely keeping an eye out! Looking to go to the march event for my first time out. Trying to make sence of it all! Everyone on the forums have been great!

• Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
29 Jan 2018 07:30 #15 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic New player questions
In the meantime, if you have any questions that aren't direct rules questions (until the new rulebook is released), feel free to ask away!

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.541 seconds