New in a way

• hecknoah
  • Thank Yous: 0
16 Jun 2008 00:04 #1 by hecknoah (hecknoah)
New in a way was created by hecknoah (hecknoah)
I was hoping to play (participate/act?) in the July event, but I have sort of an age concern.  At about 30, am I going to be vastly older than everyone else there?  Also, does having no acting experience lead to inevitable doom and ambarassment?

Noah
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
16 Jun 2008 00:27 #2 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic New in a way
What's that you say, sonny?  I'm 56 and have no acting experience.  I have suffered no ill effects from either.  Some good natured ribbing about what life was really like in 1208 (It was a bitch, Tom S, what with no carbonated beverages).  Do not think of it as acting, but rather as being yourself.  Admittedly, the self you are being is a persona that you don for the Event, but it is one of your choosing. 

As to doom, that is rather random, occurring seldom.  Being a sound sleeper off by oneself, now that is a recipe for death.

As to age, there are over a dozen regulars I can name older than you.  Some, like myself, are much older.  Do not confuse age with infirmity.  One of the most respected fighters is 36. 

All I can say is that it is a very welcoming community.  Almost everyone is able to keep in game (IG) actions and out of game (OOG) actions separate from one another.  Its a good crowd.  I speak as a 20 month player, having felt welcome from the get go.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
16 Jun 2008 00:51 #3 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic New in a way
I'm 36, and I don't feel like the old man out at all.  Those that are younger are great people, and you don't realize their age difference.  So come along and have a great time!

-OOG Michael Smith
  • Kendrick
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 4
16 Jun 2008 07:51 #4 by Kendrick (Kendrick)
Replied by Kendrick (Kendrick) on topic New in a way
As the officially labeled 'Old Man Winter' of KR (although clearly Charlie has a claim to the title! ;D) trust me when I say age means nothing here.

No one here will make you feel too old, except of course your body by then end of the weekend.

Brother Kendrick Maeldun
Paladin of the White Fox

oog Chris K
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 Jun 2008 09:24 #5 by geezer (geezer)
One more thing that I forgot (I'm getting old) is that youth and exuberance is no match for old age and deceit.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

16 Jun 2008 12:58 #6 by Baroness Hartwoode (jadelet)
Replied by Baroness Hartwoode (jadelet) on topic New in a way
Ditto. 34 and still feel quite at home age-wise. There's a significant crowd of 30+ here, and we all mingle freely.

Acting experience? No way. Don't believe you. Ever have to explain why you forgot your homework when in reality you just plain didn't feel like doing it? Ever have to convince a girl you were breaking up with that it was you, not her so she didn't turn psycho on you? Ever try to convince your parents the dog really broke the vase, not you? Ever get a present you didn't like but didn't want to hurt someone's feelings? Yeah, you have acting experience. And frankly, this is a lot more like that than stage acting. Trust me. You'll do fine.

Baroness Mixolydia Hartwoode of Travance
March Warden of Selendrias

Alas for those that never sing,
But die with all their music in them!
(oog-Jen W.)
  • Fogrom
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 70
16 Jun 2008 13:17 #7 by Fogrom (Fogrom)
Replied by Fogrom (Fogrom) on topic New in a way
Hopefully by now you're getting the impression that there are at least a few gray hairs at KR before anyone takes out the cans of spray...

Thirty isn't old at all at this game, and acting experience isn't something that completely translates anyway. One big difference is that there's no audience here - just other players. No audience means two things: first, stage fright isn't really an issue; second, methods that actors are taught for communicating with the audience don't apply. Also, without a script, you don't need to worry about reading words that someone else wrote and trying to understand what their intention is, and then how to portray that. The character is your design, the words are what you choose, and you know your own intentions (hopefully  ;)). Most people speak normally, maybe with an accent of some kind; you don't have to worry about being able to toss out extemporaneous lines in iambic pentameter.

Matt White
  • Odo Garaath
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Back and Ready For More!
  • Thank Yous: 12
16 Jun 2008 13:35 #8 by Odo Garaath (Odo)
Replied by Odo Garaath (Odo) on topic New in a way
If a small kind named Justice challenges you in a duel, back away. That kid is lightning.

"Praise be to Enax, and blessing to his followers."

(Tom Senger )
16 Jun 2008 16:48 #9 by Wou Tou Shen (Wou Tou Shen)
Replied by Wou Tou Shen (Wou Tou Shen) on topic New in a way

Hopefully by now you're getting the impression that there are at least a few gray hairs at KR before anyone takes out the cans of spray...

speak 4 ur self Gray-de-locs ;D

Wou-Tou Shen

Be one in mind and body.

I am the stone that stands firm atop the largest mountain in Pendarvin, the strongest winds, nor the harshest rains will not move me.
(oog derrick)
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 Jun 2008 17:17 #10 by geezer (geezer)
That's cause you're a baby of 30, Derrick.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
16 Jun 2008 18:28 #11 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic New in a way
I joined KR in February of 2007, and I was 30 my first event.  I saw they had a number of people who's ages ranged from late teens to early 50's and up.  Most folks here don't really bother with age.

As for the acting thing... that really depends on what you wanna play.  If you want to play a certain character type, just think honestly on what you will feel comfy with and go with that.  I feel that's the easiest thing to do, from my expirience.

So... ask all the questions you want, wait for the approved Marshals and Deputies to answer you and I hope that you can join us soon and have fun.  I know my first event was fun and has brought me back time and time again to these events.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Lina Marinescu
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Only the curious have something to find
  • Thank Yous: 78
17 Jun 2008 22:18 #12 by Lina Marinescu (Ismaesumi)
Replied by Lina Marinescu (Ismaesumi) on topic New in a way
If you're really worried about getting the swing of things, try NPCing for an event, that's what I've done for the past two events (my first two). It helps you get into several different characters, helps you learn the fighting rules, style etc and you often get sent out as just a commoner, so you can observe how others play their character and play as one too

;)

IG- Lina Marinescu
OOG- Katie M.- Lead Monster Marshal

The stalwart soul has the will to live and is eager for the race ~Taylor Caldwell

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • hecknoah
  • Thank Yous: 0
19 Jun 2008 21:10 #13 by hecknoah (hecknoah)
Replied by hecknoah (hecknoah) on topic New in a way
So, if I am thinking I am going to go to the event in July, am I suppose to anounce myself, or say hello, or something?  If so ... hi.

Noah
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
19 Jun 2008 21:47 #14 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic New in a way
Hi!

There's a New Player Training every event, at 8:00 on Friday night in the "Inn" before the game starts.  Also, you can drop a line to Brendan, our New Player Officer, so he knows you are coming, if he hasn't seen your post here yet.  (That's your cue, Brendan...)

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Kathara
  • Thank Yous: 1
20 Jun 2008 08:22 #15 by Kathara (Kathara)
Replied by Kathara (Kathara) on topic New in a way
Hello. I hope you do decide to join us. You'll enjoy it!

Kathara Spero- Gypsy Healer
OOG- Karen Schwander
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.589 seconds