Warhammer RPGs (WFRP/40K: DH) Going Away

• Cameron
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 15
28 Jan 2008 18:56 #1 by Cameron (Galen)
Warhammer RPGs (WFRP/40K: DH) Going Away was created by Cameron (Galen)
Big Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

The short version, despite massive success for both the Warhammer Fantasy RPG and 40K: Dark Heresy, the RPG end of Black Library is shutting down later this year, after just a handful of supplements for Dark Heresy.  There will be no Rogue Trader or Space Marine RPG as a result, unless something changes between then and now.

This is weak.  The collector's edition of Dark Heresy sold out in six minutes.  There was only one copy at Dreamation due to the massive amount of online orders.  Yet despite this, they've decided to shut it down in order to "refocus" on printing more novels.

I don't get it.  This was the first Warhammer related product outside of Dawn of War I've bought in years and years, and boom, it's now going straight downhill.

Oh well, at least more copies will be in print for a while, but if you want one, you'd better hurry to make sure that you get one before they stop printing copies.  By the end of this year, there will be no more made.

Sir Not Appearing At This Game
  • Bellanear
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 13
29 Jan 2008 16:13 - 29 Jan 2008 16:16 #2 by Bellanear (Alai)
Replied by Bellanear (Alai) on topic Warhammer RPGs (WFRP/40K: DH) Going Away
Unfortunately, GW was 192,000 pounds in the red for the past half a year.  As of the last year end report, they were wokring on plans to 'trim the fat' and all those other corporate euphamisms.  One branch of the company was going to go, and Black Industries (the branch that does all the RP stuff) justifiably ahs the highest operating expenses outside the core minis company (to my knowledge).

The decision sucks for all those who enjoy well constructed systems and role-playing in the fantastic universes created by GW, but there will still be books published for the next few months.  Sure, it will leave a lot undone, but I still have hope that games will offer enjoyment and such.  Maybe GW will actually license it out to a good company (doubtful, but we can dream).

Unfortunately, GW has a great habit of making business decisions that royally screw over their fans.  Yet their fans stay there, much like fans of WotC.  So in closing I have this to say: for RP, get the books that will be published and enjoy them.  For miniatures games (if that's your thing) then here's an idea:
www.privateerpress.com

PS: The game is actually sold out.  It sold out on pre-orders alone.  If you are interested in the game and see it at Borders or some LGS somewhere, BUY IT.  They are unsure if there will be any reprints at all.  The book is $50 new, but just imagine what it will be like a few months trying to get one from ebay.  If you get it and don't like it, guess what,
ebay.

-Bellanear Cyeos
The Alabaster Seal
Guardian of The Ivory Tower

Gavin S.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2008 16:16 by .
  • Cameron
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 15
29 Jan 2008 16:18 - 29 Jan 2008 16:24 #3 by Cameron (Galen)
Replied by Cameron (Galen) on topic Warhammer RPGs (WFRP/40K: DH) Going Away
I was under the impression the company was doing well, between Dawn of War, the numerous expansions, the upcoming Warhammer Fantasy MMO, and to my knowledge they've still been doing well in the mini gaming market, all things considered, though I can see them losing some serious ground to Clix, WotC Minis, and AT-43.

By the way, the Iron Kingdoms D20 setting is very nice from what I've seen of it thus far, very interesting stuff.

Edit: Yeah, it's pretty much sold out, the only copies from this printing will be in stores.  There may or may not be another printing, since the company is still in working order until September, but if you see one on the shelves and you want it, buy it sooner, because chances are there won't be a later.

Sir Not Appearing At This Game
Last edit: 29 Jan 2008 16:24 by .
  • dedrite
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • For the Emperor!
  • Thank Yous: 1
29 Jan 2008 16:54 #4 by dedrite (dedrite)
Replied by dedrite (dedrite) on topic Warhammer RPGs (WFRP/40K: DH) Going Away
They are the WORST marketing company that has ever existed. 

They show year in and year out that they have no idea (or desire) to keep their loyal core audience happy and make terrible decisions on a daily basis.

Rant on pause.

-Brother Knight Templar Sabatheous Tellinghast-
Knight Templar of the Order of the Brilliant Hammer
Holy Inquisitor of the Church of Kormyre

Crudelius est quam mori semper timere mortem

"Nothing is ever forgotten"

((Joe Bondi-Marketing Officer))
  • Bellanear
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 13
30 Jan 2008 09:50 #5 by Bellanear (Alai)
Replied by Bellanear (Alai) on topic Warhammer RPGs (WFRP/40K: DH) Going Away
Unfortunately, Iron Kingdoms d20 seems to be on pause as everyone holds their breath for 4th Ed.  The books that exist, however, are phenomenal.  I always compare Warhammer and Warmachine/Hordes to D&D 2nd ed and 3.5.

Warhammer/D&D 2nd Ed: Slow, confusing, and you have fun almost in spite of the rules.  Many things just don't make sense.

Warmachine/3.5: Moves Faster, rules are more streamlined and there's just a lot more potential for fun.  On the downside, there is also a MUCH larger potential for munchkin-ing, but thems the breaks.

That and Warmachine/Hordes is a much cheaper alternative to break into the mini's games, and everything is metal.  That's right, a full unit of metal figures is cheaper than a box of plastic from the 'Evil Empire'.

Granted, 40K is still a blast, so I'm stuck with the Evil Empire for a while yet.  However, if anyone is interested in a quick, fun, steam-punk fantasy game, I'm more than willing to demo Warmachine.

-Bellanear Cyeos
The Alabaster Seal
Guardian of The Ivory Tower

Gavin S.
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.456 seconds