Meaning of Haloween

• dedrite
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • For the Emperor!
  • Thank Yous: 1
31 Oct 2008 09:38 #1 by dedrite (dedrite)
Meaning of Haloween was created by dedrite (dedrite)
Has Halloween become so over-commercialized with candy and costumes that we've become distracted
from the real meaning of the season...placating demons to ensure a bountiful harvest?

www.theonion.com/content/video/in_the_kn...ource=embedded_video

-Brother Knight Templar Sabatheous Tellinghast-
Knight Templar of the Order of the Brilliant Hammer
Holy Inquisitor of the Church of Kormyre

Crudelius est quam mori semper timere mortem

"Nothing is ever forgotten"

((Joe Bondi-Marketing Officer))
  • Gregor
  • Thank Yous: 10
31 Oct 2008 09:43 #2 by Gregor (Caleb)
Replied by Gregor (Caleb) on topic Meaning of Haloween
Samhain marks one of the two great doorways of the Celtic year, for the Celts divided the year into two seasons: the light and the dark, at Beltane on May 1st and Samhain on November 1st. Some believe that Samhain was the more important festival, marking the beginning of a whole new cycle, just as the Celtic day began at night. For it was understood that in dark silence comes whisperings of new beginnings, the stirring of the seed below the ground. Whereas Beltane welcomes in the summer with joyous celebrations at dawn, the most magically potent time of this festival is November Eve, the night of October 31st, known today of course, as Halloween.

Samhain (Scots Gaelic: Samhuinn) literally means “summer's end.” In Scotland and Ireland, Halloween is known as Oíche Shamhna, while in Wales it is Nos Calan Gaeaf, the eve of the winter's calend, or first. With the rise of Christianity, Samhain was changed to Hallowmas, or All Saints' Day, to commemorate the souls of the blessed dead who had been canonized that year, so the night before became popularly known as Halloween, All Hallows Eve, or Hollantide. November 2nd became All Souls Day, when prayers were to be offered to the souls of all who the departed and those who were waiting in Purgatory for entry into Heaven. Throughout the centuries, pagan and Christian beliefs intertwine in a gallimaufry of celebrations from Oct 31st through November 5th, all of which appear both to challenge the ascendancy of the dark and to revel in its mystery.

In the country year, Samhain marked the first day of winter, when the herders led the cattle and sheep down from their summer hillside pastures to the shelter of stable and byre. The hay that would feed them during the winter must be stored in sturdy thatched ricks, tied down securely against storms. Those destined for the table were slaughtered, after being ritually devoted to the gods in pagan times. All the harvest must be gathered in -- barley, oats, wheat, turnips, and apples -- for come November, the faeries would blast every growing plant with their breath, blighting any nuts and berries remaining on the hedgerows. Peat and wood for winter fires were stacked high by the hearth. It was a joyous time of family reunion, when all members of the household worked together baking, salting meat, and making preserves for the winter feasts to come. The endless horizons of summer gave way to a warm, dim and often smoky room; the symphony of summer sounds was replaced by a counterpoint of voices, young and old, human and animal.

In early Ireland, people gathered at the ritual centers of the tribes, for Samhain was the principal calendar feast of the year.  The greatest assembly was the 'Feast of Tara,' focusing on the royal seat of the High King as the heart of the sacred land, the point of conception for the new year. In every household throughout the country, hearth-fires were extinguished. All waited for the Druids to light the new fire of the year -- not at Tara, but at Tlachtga, a hill twelve miles to the north-west. It marked the burial-place of Tlachtga, daughter of the great druid Mogh Ruith, who may once have been a goddess in her own right in a former age.

At at all the turning points of the Celtic year, the gods drew near to Earth at Samhain, so many sacrifices and gifts were offered up in thanksgiving for the harvest. Personal prayers in the form of objects symbolizing the wishes of supplicants or ailments to be healed were cast into the fire,  and at the end of the ceremonies, brands were lit from the great fire of Tara to re-kindle all the home fires of the tribe, as at Beltane. As they received the flame that marked this time of beginnings, people surely felt a sense of the kindling of new dreams, projects and hopes for the year to come.

The Samhain fires continued to blaze down the centuries.  In the 1860s the Halloween bonfires were still so popular in Scotland that one traveler reported seeing thirty fires lighting up the hillsides all on one night, each surrounded by rings of dancing figures, a practice which continued up to the first World War. Young people and servants lit brands from the fire and ran around the fields and hedges of house and farm, while community leaders surrounded parish boundaries with a magic circle of light. Afterwards, ashes from the fires were sprinkled over the fields to protect them during the winter months -- and of course, they also improved the soil. The bonfire provided an island of light within the oncoming tide of winter darkness, keeping away cold, discomfort, and evil spirits long before electricity illumined our nights. When the last flame sank down, it was time to run as fast as you could for home, raising the cry, “The black sow without a tail take the hindmost!”

Even today, bonfires light up the skies in many parts of the British Isles and Ireland at this season, although in many areas of Britain their significance has been co-opted by Guy Fawkes Day, which falls on November 5th, and commemorates an unsuccessful attempt to blow up the English Houses of Parliament in the 17th century. In one Devonshire village, the extraordinary sight of both men and women running through the streets with blazing tar barrels on their backs can still be seen! Whatever the reason, there will probably always be a human need to make fires against the winter’s dark.

Gregor Borowitz
Court Healer of Alisandria

Guild Member of the Black Orchid Merchant Company

OOG:Stephen Bukovsky
  • Andy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 157
31 Oct 2008 11:47 #3 by Andy (Andy)
Replied by Andy (Andy) on topic Meaning of Haloween
Nerds.

-andy

-Sir Hurgar
Knight of Pendarvin

-Andy
Rules Marshal
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
31 Oct 2008 12:19 #4 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Meaning of Haloween
Loony white-folks and their crazy holidays and rituals.  Why can't you folks do like my people do and give out cash and set-off firecrackers for every occasion?

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Gregor
31 Oct 2008 13:18 #5 by Gregor (Caleb)
Chinese Minority Nationalities' Holidays
There are 56 nationalities in China and each of them has their own festivals. The following only lists the major events in the minority group. ( Info for Minority Group in China)

The Zhuang Song Festival
The Bai Third Moon Fair

The Dai (Tai) Water sprinkling Festival

The Tibetan New Year

The Mongolian Nadam Fair

The Yao Danu Festival

The Yi Torch Festival

The Miao New Year Festival

The Dong Fire-Works Festival <= I swear I didn't make this one up!

The Bouyei Dancing Party

The Tujia, Hui, Dongxiang, Baoan Songfest

The Moslem Corban Festival

The Jing Singing Festival

The Lisu Scimitar Rung Festival

The Jingbo Dancing Festival

Its called GOOGLE Andy - even you can work it.

Gregor Borowitz

• Gregor
31 Oct 2008 13:21 #6 by Gregor (Caleb)
Even more rituals!!

Chinese Traditional Holidays
The calendar the Chinese traditional holidays follow is of a unique lunar-solar system. Therefore, 1st of the 1st month referred here does not necessarily mean January 1. Come here to see the details of the Chinese calendar.

Lantern Festival (15th of the 1st month)
Lantern exhibits, lion and dragon dances, and eating Tang Yuan (ball-shaped boiled sweet rice dumplings with delicious stuffing.) feature this day. It is very much celebrated in the rural areas by farmers. The Lantern Festival also marks the end of the Chinese New Year season.

Qing Ming (Pure & Bright in Chinese) (Fifth of the 24 Solar Terms)
Originally it was a celebration of spring. People used to customarily go out on an excursion to "tread grass". Later it became day dedicated to the dear departed. Tidying up ancestors' tombs is its major big event.

Duan Wu (Dragon Boat) Festival (5th of the 5th month)
Said to be in memory of a great patriot poet of the then State of Chu during the Warring States period (475-221 B.C.), Qu Yuan (Ch'u Yuan), who drowned himself to protest his emperor who gave in to the bully State of Chin. For fear that fish may consume his body, people of Chu threw launched their boats and started throwing rice dumplings wrapped in bamboo leaves into the river where he was drowned to feed the fish. Now the big event of dragon boat contest may be a legacy of such activity. People today still eat the bamboo-leave rice dumplings on the occasion today.

The Seventh Eve (7th of the seventh month)
It is a traditional holiday almost lost to the younger generations today. It originates from a beautiful legend about a cowboy and a fairy who were cruelly separated and reunited once each year on this happy sad occasion. A more detailed story is forthcoming.

Mid-Autumn Festival (15th of the eighth month)
It is second only to the Chinese New Year in significance. The moon on this day is the fullest and largest to the eye. Viewing it by the whole family while feasting on good wine, fruits and moon-cakes features the night event. There is also a beautiful story behind it. Children are told that there's fairy on the moon living in a spacious but cold crystal palace with her sole companion, a jade rabbit. A heavenly general and friend would occasionally pay her a visit, bringing along his fragrant wine. She would then dance a beautiful dance. The shadows on the moon made the story all the more credible and fascinating to the young imaginative minds.

Spring Festival (The Chinese New Year) (1st of the 1st month)
The biggest and most celebrated festival in China and part of east and south east Asia.

Gregor Borowitz

• geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
31 Oct 2008 14:34 #7 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Meaning of Haloween
Ignore Andy, Stephen.  Not much can be done for those who chose to wallow in their ignorance.  I enjoyed your post.

Jewwish Holidays are much easier to describe.  For most of them it boils down to "They tried to kill us.  We won.  Let's eat."

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Odo Garaath
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Back and Ready For More!
  • Thank Yous: 12
31 Oct 2008 15:03 #8 by Odo Garaath (Odo)
Replied by Odo Garaath (Odo) on topic Meaning of Haloween

Jewwish Holidays are much easier to describe.  For most of them it boils down to "They tried to kill us.  We won.  Let's eat."

It's true. My grandma has the cookware to prove it. I still don't know why she needs a kosher wok.

"Praise be to Enax, and blessing to his followers."

(Tom Senger )
  • hecknoah
  • Thank Yous: 0
31 Oct 2008 18:08 #9 by hecknoah (hecknoah)
Replied by hecknoah (hecknoah) on topic Meaning of Haloween

It's true. My grandma has the cookware to prove it. I still don't know why she needs a kosher wok.

My aunt is Orthodox, and kosher, and my favorite traditional holliday was Thanksgiving (Yes, I know it's not actually a Jewish holiday) when she would torture us with Kosher Mashed Potatoes and pie-crusts and me and my siblings would compete to see who could be the first person to sneak into the kitchen, find as big a piece of cheese as possible, and leave it inconspicuously on the wrong side of the kitchen counter ... which is why we have Yom Kippur.

Noah
  • McDermitt
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Youve not even begun to taste my might!
  • Thank Yous: 30
31 Oct 2008 19:45 #10 by McDermitt (Matt Quagz)
Replied by McDermitt (Matt Quagz) on topic Meaning of Haloween
Im turning away kids that dont have costumes on.

I paid for your god damn candy least you can do it try!!

Sir Slack McDermitt the Boar
Knight of Travance
Steward of Valdalis

oog-Matt Q
  • Odo Garaath
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Back and Ready For More!
  • Thank Yous: 12
31 Oct 2008 21:08 #11 by Odo Garaath (Odo)
Replied by Odo Garaath (Odo) on topic Meaning of Haloween
Damn right.

And a sports uniform isn't a costume.

"Praise be to Enax, and blessing to his followers."

(Tom Senger )
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
31 Oct 2008 21:20 #12 by geezer (geezer)
31 Halloweens in this house and my record of no trick and treaters is intact.  I have such lovely tricks planned.

Kosher wok - does she ever cook with cheese/butter or other dairy products?

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• Father Paul
  • Kitchen Marshals
31 Oct 2008 23:05 #13 by Father Paul (Father Paul)
Replied by Father Paul (Father Paul) on topic Meaning of Haloween

Too much pie

Priest of Gaia
The Eyes in the Sky
oog Paul W.
  • McDermitt
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Youve not even begun to taste my might!
  • Thank Yous: 30
01 Nov 2008 00:08 #14 by McDermitt (Matt Quagz)
Replied by McDermitt (Matt Quagz) on topic Meaning of Haloween
Kid came by tonight,had on an Eagle sweatshirt. I asked him were his costume was? He replied with" Uhh.. Im on the eagles"  "Really? Who are you supposed to be?"

"Uhh.."

"Tell you what, Go home and come back with a helmet, Then I'll believe you. and give you a blow pop."

Sir Slack McDermitt the Boar
Knight of Travance
Steward of Valdalis

oog-Matt Q
  • Elyse!
01 Nov 2008 00:25 #15 by Elyse! (Elyse!)
Replied by Elyse! (Elyse!) on topic Meaning of Haloween
You tell em, Quagz. Keep those kids in line... they could at least try!

Elyse!
(That's me.)
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 Nov 2008 07:28 #16 by geezer (geezer)
First time I ever saw job spelled that way...

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• Tyra Silverfang
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • I eat dark god babies...
01 Nov 2008 12:05 #17 by Tyra Silverfang (Pracika Nightwing)
Replied by Tyra Silverfang (Pracika Nightwing) on topic Meaning of Haloween
i worked last night and had a few kids come in and I was dressed up more than they were... and i was working! Granted i do have the fact that i'm a larper and always have costuming at the ready, but i mean come on! At least make an effort to work for your candy! if you're not going to make the effort make a run to CVS today and get all the half priced candy! Most of the fun is dressing up! the free candy is simply a bonus!

"There is a difference between a hero and a coward. A Hero wakes willing to risk death. A coward wakes wishing for it."

OOG: Adi
01 Nov 2008 13:17 #18 by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen)
Replied by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen) on topic Meaning of Haloween
Matt Quagz, crushing to dreams of poor children who can't afford costumes everywhere.

Hell, you should have turned him away simply because he was wearing an Eagles sweatshirt.

--Sean

Skimmel
RP Marshal, Rules Marshal, Storyteller
03 Nov 2008 09:35 #19 by Baroness Hartwoode (jadelet)
Replied by Baroness Hartwoode (jadelet) on topic Meaning of Haloween
Try to turn a kid away without a costume where I live and you either end up with smashed halloween props on a good night, or a knife on a bad night. I've seen kids right up into their late teens show up at 10:30pm and tell us since they'll probably be the last ones there we should give them all the candy we have left. We dont. But it's always a little on the scary side to say no.

Generally though we just scare the kids so bad that they don't mess with us too much. I think most of them think my fangs are real. Or maybe its because about 2 years ago I went to the door with Maddie in a large cooking pot. Can't be sure.

Baroness Mixolydia Hartwoode of Travance
March Warden of Selendrias

Alas for those that never sing,
But die with all their music in them!
(oog-Jen W.)
  • JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
03 Nov 2008 11:01 #20 by JoDios (JoDios)
Replied by JoDios (JoDios) on topic Meaning of Haloween

Or maybe its because about 2 years ago I went to the door with Maddie in a large cooking pot. Can't be sure.

Sheesh, how's that for childhood trauma?  I'm sure that will come up again when she becomes a teenager  ;)

OOG: Jo
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Nov 2008 15:54 #21 by geezer (geezer)
Yo Jen.  I have a modest proposal...

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

05 Nov 2008 16:50 #22 by Baroness Hartwoode (jadelet)
Replied by Baroness Hartwoode (jadelet) on topic Meaning of Haloween

Yo Jen.  I have a modest proposal...

I don't think we're poor enough to qualify, or rich enough to benefit.

Baroness Mixolydia Hartwoode of Travance
March Warden of Selendrias

Alas for those that never sing,
But die with all their music in them!
(oog-Jen W.)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.704 seconds