Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series

24 Nov 2008 20:34 #1 by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre)
Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series was created by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre)
Has anyone else seen this crap?  I mean, seriously, they have so altered the story, couldn't they just come up with a new one altogether?  If they really thought pulling from the books would get a fan base, one would think they would want to keep to the story more.

In service to Kormyre,

Lord Alexander Renaudierre of Frostguard

~~~
Roy S.
24 Nov 2008 20:49 #2 by Mother Rosa (Kate)
Replied by Mother Rosa (Kate) on topic Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series
Yeah I don't get why they deviated from the story so much. It's a good story, they very well could have made a season out of the first book alone. I feel like the only thing they left the same is the character's names.  :-\

Mother Rosa
Priestess of Gaia

"That which yields is not always weak."

((oog: Kate L))
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
24 Nov 2008 20:51 #3 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series
I watch it for Kahlan's dresses.

Oh and Ted Raimi was in one of them.  I <3 Joxer.

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
24 Nov 2008 21:16 #4 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series
I saw the first episode.  I threw up.  I don't even watch it for the costuming, but I hear the budget and folks who handle that portion actual do a decent job.  I'll wait for Museum Replicas or some company to get the licence rights and copy the garb so I can see if it looks good or not to buy.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Jarons20
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 1
24 Nov 2008 21:41 #5 by Jarons20 (Jarons20)
Replied by Jarons20 (Jarons20) on topic Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series
OMG, I haven't even read the book and can only assume it is good becuase the show is so bad
the acting alone... worst then beastmaster

OOG - Jason Arons
  • Aria
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 215
24 Nov 2008 21:44 #6 by Aria (Aria)
Replied by Aria (Aria) on topic Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series
The outfits are really good.  I have been watching it but I never read the books so I don't have anything to compare it to.  Its ok, I mean its not the greatest acting in the world, but its ok for what it is.

Dame Tari Zhafirah Stonebar Deldragon of the Order of the Sagewardens
Dean of Arcane Studies of the Darkwood Acadamy of the Metaphysical Arts

Playing with fire is bad for those who burn themselves.  For the rest of us, it is a very great pleasure....
  • McDermitt
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Youve not even begun to taste my might!
  • Thank Yous: 30
24 Nov 2008 22:30 #7 by McDermitt (Matt Quagz)
Replied by McDermitt (Matt Quagz) on topic Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series
I disagree
Some of the best promos Ive ever seen

Sir Slack McDermitt the Boar
Knight of Travance
Steward of Valdalis
Master of the Mages' Guild

oog-Matt Q
  • Quin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Captain Cupcake
  • Thank Yous: 15
25 Nov 2008 09:17 #8 by Quin (Quin)
Replied by Quin (Quin) on topic Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series
Crap, I do that every time! Good nerd roll'd Quagz.  >:(

What channel does this show air? I haven't even seen any ads for it. Though, by the way people have described the show, I'm not sure I want to see it...

Quin K.
It isn't enough to talk about peace, one must believe it.
    And it isn't enough to believe in it, one must work for it.

Emily (MM/RPM)
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
25 Nov 2008 10:37 #9 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series
Varies by location apparantly.  Its not a major network show.  If you go to the official website (google it, not sure the address) you can type in your area code and it will tell you.

While not something worth watching with dedication, i certainly enjoy it enough to have it in the background at its totally odd time of 5 on Saturdays for me.  I havent read the SoT series in so long the consistancies don't matter, and I can just enjoy the cheesy fantasy elements for what they are.  Oh and the Herc/Xena people did the props/costuming, and you can really tell.  That stuff all looks awesome.

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
25 Nov 2008 10:46 #10 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series
It doesn't follow the  book.  Why would anyone who has suffered through I Robot or Starship Troopers expect it to?

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Aria
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 215
25 Nov 2008 15:11 #11 by Aria (Aria)
Replied by Aria (Aria) on topic Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series
I agree with Kristen.  Its one of those shows where its not bad for the background.  Honestly if you missed a show or two I don't think that you'd really have that much trouble catching up.  Really its a bit cheesy at times, but its not the worst thing I've ever seen

Dame Tari Zhafirah Stonebar Deldragon of the Order of the Sagewardens
Dean of Arcane Studies of the Darkwood Acadamy of the Metaphysical Arts

Playing with fire is bad for those who burn themselves.  For the rest of us, it is a very great pleasure....
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
25 Nov 2008 16:52 #12 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series
I believe Stacey damns with faint praise.  Sort of like "She was not the ugliest person I ever dated, nor was she the worst tempered or have the blandest personality..."

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• Corvin Ralenfolly
  • The Good Looking Ralenfolly
  • Thank Yous: 43
26 Nov 2008 03:04 #13 by Corvin Ralenfolly (SteveM)
Replied by Corvin Ralenfolly (SteveM) on topic Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series
Starship Troopers was a great movie.

Corvin Ralenfolly

Steve M.
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
26 Nov 2008 07:08 #14 by geezer (geezer)
Starship Troopers sucked.  As written, each trooper was fully capable of controlling and fighting a one km stgretch f land.  So how does the movie have them fight the "bugs?"  Shoulder to shoulder, like line infantry of the AWI!!  No use of the mini-nukes each carried - hell they did not even use "bug" spray.  I could give lots of other examples, but why upset Andy over this?

The book was excellent, and i recommend it to all.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

26 Nov 2008 13:32 #15 by T. Grumblegut (Yngwie)
Replied by T. Grumblegut (Yngwie) on topic Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series

Alex T.
Rules Marshal
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
26 Nov 2008 14:56 #16 by geezer (geezer)
Steve, Alex - you are both great guys and excellent RPers.  I even like both your tastes in nonKR clothing, which as my wife might say, is not necessarily a good thing. 

I must, however, reiterate the movie sucked more than Lovelace.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• Gregor
  • Thank Yous: 10
01 Dec 2008 08:32 #17 by Gregor (Caleb)
Replied by Gregor (Caleb) on topic Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series

'Fleet does the flying, MI does the dying.'

Gregor Borowitz
Court Healer of Alisandria

Guild Member of the Black Orchid Merchant Company

OOG:Stephen Bukovsky
  • JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
  • Thank Yous: 0
01 Dec 2008 12:30 #18 by JoDios (JoDios)
Replied by JoDios (JoDios) on topic Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series
Real classy reference Charlie. Real classy there. 

Anyways, sometimes the story has to change to make a better movie.  Like the Princess Bride, great film but a pretty boring book.  Granted sometimes this falls through..about the time where the movie doesn't even have the same characters/themes/concepts as the book.  Looking at you 'LXG' and 'I Am Legend'.

OOG: Jo
01 Dec 2008 12:34 #19 by Mother Rosa (Kate)
Replied by Mother Rosa (Kate) on topic Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series
I admit some things don't translate well onto screen. With these books however, it seems even the things that would have translated well and were perfectly described in the books (I'm looking at you Confessor power) were done in a horribly cheesy way off manner. I can think of few things besides epic amounts of traveling that wouldn't have gone over well for the most part with only minor tweaks. And the traveling easily could have happened between episodes.

Mother Rosa
Priestess of Gaia

"That which yields is not always weak."

((oog: Kate L))
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 Dec 2008 12:52 #20 by geezer (geezer)
Actually, Joe, I loved the Princess Bride book.  Movie was great as well - one of the few times both were hits with me.  Sometimes (In the Heat of the Night comes to mind) the movie is better, but mostly it is the book.  The Trouble with Tribbles Star Trek episode was very good for 48 minutes, but compared to the Heinlein book The Rolling Stones from which Gerold stole the idea, there is no comparison.

I was kinda proud of the reference.  It fit on so many levels.  I'm impressed with your knowledge of the classics. :)

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
01 Dec 2008 13:00 #21 by JoDios (JoDios)
Replied by JoDios (JoDios) on topic Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series
The book is often better but I didn't find that the case with the Princess Bride.  After the 3rd or 4th time of the author going off on a tangent about some "historical fact" about the two kingdoms and then didn't get back to the story, I started to get annoyed and skipped them whenever it went into a rant so I could learn what was happening to the main characters.

OOG: Jo
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 Dec 2008 13:09 #22 by geezer (geezer)
But the admitedly great scene when Montoya and Wesley are fencing took nine pages in the book and was sooo great.  I admit I also skipped some of the crapola.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• Kendrick
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 4
01 Dec 2008 14:35 #23 by Kendrick (Kendrick)
Replied by Kendrick (Kendrick) on topic Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series
All of this filler talk makes me think one chapter that never needed to be written ' The House of Tom Bombadil'

Brother Kendrick Maeldun
Paladin of the White Fox

oog Chris K
  • dedrite
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • For the Emperor!
  • Thank Yous: 1
01 Dec 2008 15:07 #24 by dedrite (dedrite)
Replied by dedrite (dedrite) on topic Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series

All of this filler talk makes me think one chapter that never needed to be written ' The House of Tom Bombadil'

THANK YOU!

-Brother Knight Templar Sabatheous Tellinghast-
Knight Templar of the Order of the Brilliant Hammer
Holy Inquisitor of the Church of Kormyre

Crudelius est quam mori semper timere mortem

"Nothing is ever forgotten"

((Joe Bondi-Marketing Officer))
  • Gregor
  • Thank Yous: 10
01 Dec 2008 16:00 #25 by Gregor (Caleb)
Replied by Gregor (Caleb) on topic Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series

"Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!/ Ring a dong! hop along! fal lal the willow! Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!"

Tolkien invented Tom Bombadil in honour of a Dutch doll who had been flushed down a lavatory.[

Gregor Borowitz
Court Healer of Alisandria

Guild Member of the Black Orchid Merchant Company

OOG:Stephen Bukovsky
01 Dec 2008 17:14 #26 by WayaMilenko (WayaMilenko)
Replied by WayaMilenko (WayaMilenko) on topic Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series
Just DVR'd it, I can't over the fact that Richard looks like Nathan Fillon's lil brother and in some shots the Confessor looks a bit like Kate from Lost.

Waya Milenko

(OOG-Clint)
  • LStarling
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Cursed Healer
  • Thank Yous: 20
02 Dec 2008 12:00 #27 by LStarling (Kwildar)
Replied by LStarling (Kwildar) on topic Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series

Good gods, it's true.  I personally can't read Lord of the Rings again, 'cause when I get to Tom Bombadil, it's like such a brick wall in the middle of the story that I just... can't... climb over.  Somehow, a dozen years ago, I could do it, but today, I guess I just don't have the patience for the complete non-sequitor.

--
Lawrence Starling -- IG
"Really, bee! I don't smell flower-y!"
Malcolm Mallardi -- OOG
  • Janus
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
02 Dec 2008 12:06 #28 by Janus (Janus)
Replied by Janus (Janus) on topic Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series
The last time I reread the book I just skipped that part.  I always hopped that him, and his overly detailed wife and tabled died in a fire.

Janus Ivillious
Court Sorcerer of Winterdark

Every man has his own destiny: the only imperative is to follow it, to accept it, no matter where it leads him.

Mike Dennis

RP Marshal
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Dec 2008 12:40 #29 by geezer (geezer)
When I reached him, I stopped reading the book - period.  One of the few, if only, of the classics I skipped.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• wrathmaur
12 Dec 2008 01:04 #30 by wrathmaur (wrathmaur)
Replied by wrathmaur (wrathmaur) on topic Has anyone seen the "Sword of Truth" tv series
WOW!!!  You guys really don't like Tom Bombadil?  I loved it and was very disappointed that it was left out of the movie...  Though I knew it would be the first thing cut for time.  Tom Bombadil is probably one of my favorite parts of the Fellowship.  I loved the woderful detail and actually take my time and read that part closely every time I read the books (have read the LoTR 15 times).  But to each their own.

As for Starship Troopers I loved the book and the movie.  Have read the book a couple of times and own the movie. 

Carter Brent
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.715 seconds