Money, Taxes, and Rebates

• Malin
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 0
11 Feb 2008 20:58 #31 by Malin (Malin)
Replied by Malin (Malin) on topic Money, Taxes, and Rebates
Personally, I believe politics can be discussed on a level where you can talk about the candidates, in a specific way as we have been, without actually naming names. It's a practice that was taught to me back in high school to encourage discussion of the topics behind the name, instead of the name itself, as many people attribute a great deal of weight to words when the know who it's attributed to.

In this case however, I feel strongly for the first time in 8 years, of who I know I will support and the foundations of why. His "lack of connections" aside, Barack Obama addresses some of these fundamental needs of the nation, for the myriad of reasons listed above.

Above all else, however, I encourage everyone to educate themselves on the platforms and even if you make a decision I wouldn't support, make it as an informed voter of the American citizenry.

Volk

Matt V.
"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome"
  • Kendrick
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 4
11 Feb 2008 23:40 #32 by Kendrick (Kendrick)
Replied by Kendrick (Kendrick) on topic Money, Taxes, and Rebates
I could gladly add to this but I'll just say naming your horse and opening the floor to discussion eventually at some point always gets people worked up. Politics, like religion, is better when not talked about so much. While this hasn't happened with the current thread, previous forays in Xanga land have so just take the nugget of advice for what its worth.

In the end we're all freaks who hit each other with plumbing supplies.

And Judge is a vampire.

Brother Kendrick Maeldun
Paladin of the White Fox

oog Chris K
  • Bellanear
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 13
13 Feb 2008 15:29 #33 by Bellanear (Alai)
Replied by Bellanear (Alai) on topic Money, Taxes, and Rebates
And here us Republicans say that McCain whored himself out to the left...

In all seriousness, even as a staunch 'small government' Republican/Libertarian, I am willing to concede the point that some economic regulations need to be put/remain in place.  However, the idea of a government that I don't even technically vote for (yay representative democracy) telling me that they know what to do with my money better than I do, well that turns my stomach.

Seriously, if there wasn't such a strong tradition of apathy in late 20th to early 21st century america, I would advocate a revolution.  Hell, I do advocate a revolution, but Americans in general are unwilling to look at the world around them and realize that something needs to change.  I know it's been used so often that it's a cliche, but:

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
-Thomas Jefferson

-Bellanear Cyeos
The Alabaster Seal
Guardian of The Ivory Tower

Gavin S.
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
13 Feb 2008 17:41 #34 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Money, Taxes, and Rebates
Sadly, and I truly mean sadly, it is no longer possible to have a revolution in this country, Gavin.  No one said living in a constitutional republic is easy, but its still the best form of government available.  This coming election pay particular election to your state house and senate, as those folks will decide redistricting.  Control of the state houses (something a freshman congressman named Gingrich advocated as essential in the late 70s - I heard the speech in person) explains why PA votes for a Democratic president, yet has a hefty majority of Republicans in its national delegation. 

i used to have a tough time picking my candidates, being in favor of a balanced budget and smaller governemtn while being a social libertarian.  Barry Goldwaterish.  The current administration made it known, in no uncertain terms, that I was not welcome in the Elephant house, being that I support certain positions that run contrary to their planks.  Oh, well, my money and vote will go elsewhere, as will my wife's and son's. 

Obama at least says how he will pay for his health care initiative.  He will repeal the 2000 and 2003 tax cuts for those who make more than $250,000/year.  Guess he read what Gates and Buffet said. :)

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Darkhunter
  • making the world safe. One dark elf at a time
13 Feb 2008 17:42 #35 by Darkhunter (Darkhunter)
Replied by Darkhunter (Darkhunter) on topic Money, Taxes, and Rebates
Politics is always a good one to start out here in the sand box. It guaranteed to get heated discussion and loud voices. I sit back and I listen, and I listen.  And what I get from everyone, is they don't like one for a myriad of reasons so they will vote another simply because thats the choice they have.

reasons not to vote Obama:
"quote" He's black "unquote" While I dislike racism, except as Bjorn, I disagree on this completely. He is a highly educated and intelligent person. And skin has never played a factor in my decisions. Unless there dark elves, or some ignorant person portraying the stereotypical perception of there race because they think its cool.
"he has no experience" He comes across rather young to me, while Ill admit I am ignorant as to his age, which I will likely look up after I post this. He may not be young in age, but he does seem to come across young in experience, and a little naive at times.
"He isn't a leader" that is Polly my bigest reason. He comes across as the type of kid growing up. He was told to do everything. He did what he was told to do was right. While this isn't a bad trait as it shows he listens to advice. it does show that he doesn't seem to make his own disunion's. A leader as defined by the military - " Leadership is influencing people - by providing purpose, direction, and motivation - while operating to accomplish the mission and improving the organization." He just doesn't seem to come across as the influencing type. He seems more the, "well that should like a good idea, lets do it that way it seems best." Am I saying he will be a bad choice, i don't know, He hasn't sold me persay on what his goals are yet.

reasons not to vote Clinton:
"She is a girl" While I thought most of the people I work with, since they have to make life or death decisions with people lives, had grown out of the ewwww girls have coodies stage they haven't. While I agree to some aspects on this, there whole opinion is a women isn't a good choice for a mans job. That isn't what I believe.  I simply do not see her as a good leader because she is stubborn and seems like she has something to prove. I can see other world leaders viewing her as weak and unfit because of her sex...and I see her being stubborn and attempting to prove them wrong. How she will do it? I cannot say, while it have positive results, who knows....but I see her more focused on the "Look what I can do" train, that she will put our nations needs on the back burner, to show the world she can do it.
"We all knew she was the power behind the presidency last time" if this is true or not, I don't care, but if it is true, it shows she is manipulative and possibly power hungry. It also shoe's she is a great actor, I don't care what people say, she stood by him after his issues with an aid....I know for a fact she didn't show him that understanding and accepting attitude behind closed doors. If she had divorced him, how would that have looked on both of them? She is as good a actor as allot of us LARPers are.....we don't need an actor for president...we need a leader. Now while that is the bad, there is a good possible outcome from this...she IS an actual leader.  But we will have to see

Now before people start tearing into these, these are not my views entirely but the views of allot of the men and women over here in the sand box.

Now I do believe Canada is out of the question, I'm coming to Jamaica  my friend....hahaha.....lemme know if you need anything.

Bjorn Triplethree

**OOC**
Rob
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
13 Feb 2008 17:47 #36 by geezer (geezer)
Robert - I'd be delighted to host you and yours for a while in Jamaica.  Try not to come from May through September, as that is the rainy/storm season and let me know a month in advance so I can be certain to be there as well.  You can do some of the cooking.  If you bring some of your troops, I will buy more shovels and we will end up with a hot tub as well :), as we have 8+ acres. 

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• Darkhunter
  • making the world safe. One dark elf at a time
13 Feb 2008 18:07 #37 by Darkhunter (Darkhunter)
Replied by Darkhunter (Darkhunter) on topic Money, Taxes, and Rebates
My friend, if its a hot tub you want, then by all means, I will help yeah Build it.  It wouldnt be for like another 15 or so more months. But my wife and I are planning  to do something when I get back.

Now if I may ask, how did you come by 8 acres in jamaica? Ive been looking to buy land  elsewhere,  mainly the  caribian or more civilized area's of south america. If for no other reason then to  start my retirment  place early or create a  vacation retreat for the family.

Bjorn Triplethree

**OOC**
Rob
13 Feb 2008 19:57 #38 by WayaMilenko (WayaMilenko)
Replied by WayaMilenko (WayaMilenko) on topic Money, Taxes, and Rebates
*creaking door*

Well well well...looky what I have found here. I should have clicked this sooner, White and Kane know why. I don't need to go into why this tax rebate is idiotic, Matt has done that beautifully well. Let us talk about the candidates then...

Guiliani-Is, was and always will be a tool. Sure, on 9-11 he stood tall and ACTED the part of a leader. He did though put the command center in a certain place, and is probably in some ways responsible for some of the firemen who died that day. Of course the fact that he wants to run on the Morals and Family ticket, while being married three times with multiple affairs, on the tax payer dollar, makes him a hypocrite. He was running on 9-11 alone, thank god he's gone.

McCain-I used to have respect for McCain, then he began to cater to the right. He is a former troop, yet he voted against improving and funding the GI Bill. He has allowed the VA to treat former soldiers like pieces of garbage, and is too stubborn to hear any other ideas about Iraq. Of course all Republicans seem to be against allowing basic rights to folks based purely on their sexual preference, which of course is a problem. Look, if choosing to be gay is choice, then so is choosing to be straight.

Hillary-Sorry, she was not the driving force back in the 90s. Bill Clinton is easily one of the most intelligent men in the world. He is also one of the most charismatic, the Ric Flair of politics...if you will. She is the one without the experience, not Obama. She was married to a politician, Obama has more or less been one constantly. She is also a bit to sold to the insurance companies, proving that she can be bought. She's a decent senator I suppose, but she's not the one I think who should lead this nation.

Obama-If you don't think he's saying anything, actually listen to his speeches, all of one. The man exudes a charisma we haven't had since Bill Clinton and before that Kennedy. He definitely sounds like he honestly wants to LEAD this country in a better direction. He believes we can change, he doesn't need to sit on the stump and explain all his policies because he understands that he can have all the policies he wants but he has to work with Congress for those, not the rubber stamp congress we saw from 2001-2006. He is the only person really left in the race who can lead us from where we are right now, the rest will keep us in the status quo and if we want to pull ourselves out of this mean Dubya has put us in Obama is the only candidate left who is capable of such actions.

Jesus Camp is frightening, but we saw it in the theater here in DC...hilarity. We knew what it was going to be about, the elderly couple didn't seem to and walked out like they just saw their children having sex. The saddest thing is that group of people is growing, as they tend to do in America around the time of the change of the century, in less then ten years it should ease up a bit.

Eh too much else to get into, I'll wait until tomorrow

Waya Milenko

(OOG-Clint)
  • Daedri
  • Thank Yous: 1
13 Feb 2008 20:20 #39 by Daedri (Daedri)
Replied by Daedri (Daedri) on topic Money, Taxes, and Rebates
Im not sure what just happened, but I think Charlie hooked up with a 75 year old sugar mama for 8 acres 33 years ago.

moving on.

I actually wrote a lot; paragraphs in a very idealistic and romantic tone which I think summarized my feelings about a man and his country. I also decided to delete all of it after reading it over, because there really arent words that can summarize that well enough to satisfy me. I also hope there arent enough words anyone could ever say to satisfy you because its really all about continuation.

Satisfy yourself today and chances are you're leaving someone else satisfied. But while you're working on making yourself happy just take a look around every once in a while and make sure you didnt leave a mess and if you did, clean it up. Any mess, environmental, physical, emotional or professional.  Thats a recipe for a happy person, family and country.

And bottom line, dont be afraid. 

Daedri Elensar
Shipwright to the People

Craig Odell
13 Feb 2008 20:28 #40 by Jurgur'mosh Goretusk (MattF)
Replied by Jurgur'mosh Goretusk (MattF) on topic Money, Taxes, and Rebates
Obama has finally pulled ahead of Hillary in deligates today( including the addition of super deligates). While he has the majority vote of the nation, I feel he is on the way to victory. As for the stimulus package, unfortunately nobody is going to spend that money at Wal-mart or the mall. Most of all that money will go for car, credit card, and mortgage payments.

Jurgur'mosh GoreTusk
free orc
(OOG-Matt F)
  • Seamstress
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Sew much fabric, sew little time
16 Feb 2008 00:36 #41 by Seamstress (Seamstress)
Replied by Seamstress (Seamstress) on topic Money, Taxes, and Rebates
I have a friend who's decided she's fed up with politics and is actually running for State Rep. ...so...White and Volk for Pres/VP (you guys decide) with Spiegel and ODell in the cabinet...

OOG ~ Tina S ~ aka Seamstress
Primary Location 42°42' N, 75°11' W
Preferred Location 18°22'N, 78°14'W
  • Daedri
16 Feb 2008 01:06 #42 by Daedri (Daedri)
Replied by Daedri (Daedri) on topic Money, Taxes, and Rebates
Just to clear things up, since this misspelling of my name is a pet peve of mine  as minor as it may seem to the casual outsider. And I do appreciate the cabinet nomination.

My name is Craig Edward Odell (small 'd' no apostrophe) this is not an Irish or Scottish name as ive been asked many times. It is a wholely English name  from start to finish.

Its origins are traced back to just after the battle of Hastings (1066) at which point land and title were bestowed upon the first 'Wode Hull' apparently for his presence or accoplishments in the battle of Hastings or a subsequent skirmish of some sort. Some of my family members like to believe the first Wode Hull was a relation to William the King but this is probably highly unlikely as there were hundreds of similar land grants and titles dolled out after the battle basically to fill up the land with Normans instead of Saxons.

Long story short, down the line  Wode Hull was condensed into Wodell and the next step was lopping off that pesky 'W' just for the sake of having a nice tidey name I guess.

Presto, my name is Craig Odell , small d no apostrophe. Another interesting tidbit of history being that I am the fourteenth generation of Odell in the US. meaning we were here from about 1630 onwards, must be something we have for staking claims to stuff that isnt ours.

I know Charlie would like to see my family coat of arms and add a copy to his collection, which I will be happy to provide.

Daedri Elensar
Shipwright to the People

Craig Odell
  • Andy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 157
16 Feb 2008 03:00 #43 by Andy (Andy)
Replied by Andy (Andy) on topic Money, Taxes, and Rebates
Political posts offend me, please remove them as I believe they are restricted topics.

-andy

-Sir Hurgar
Knight of Pendarvin

-Andy
Rules Marshal
  • Seamstress
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Sew much fabric, sew little time
16 Feb 2008 09:59 #44 by Seamstress (Seamstress)
Replied by Seamstress (Seamstress) on topic Money, Taxes, and Rebates
thanks for the clarification and history of your name Craig.  You're not the first -- I almost spelled Spiegel wrong on the wedding invitations...  :D  My father's family arrived from France to what is now Maine also around the 1630s.  My maiden name is Nadeau and I spent 30-odd years explaining that I was not the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

OOG ~ Tina S ~ aka Seamstress
Primary Location 42°42' N, 75°11' W
Preferred Location 18°22'N, 78°14'W
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 Feb 2008 10:31 #45 by geezer (geezer)
Her folks lived so far in the sticks it took the WWI draft to determine they were in the USA.  She happily changed her name to the easier, but no slam dunk, to [pronounce and spell "Spiegel."

Will look through my book of heraldry to see if you're in there, Craig.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.586 seconds