Wisdom Teeth Removal

• Tom
  • Thank Yous: 15
13 Jul 2009 01:39 #1 by Tom (Tomatsu)
Wisdom Teeth Removal was created by Tom (Tomatsu)
Hey everyone,

I was wondering because I saw a post a while back on some folks having their wisdom teeth becoming removed. My question is, is it really worth it ?

--

Oog-Tom Polanski
  • hecknoah
  • Thank Yous: 0
13 Jul 2009 06:06 #2 by hecknoah (hecknoah)
Replied by hecknoah (hecknoah) on topic Wisdom Teeth Removal
I never thought it was optional.  I thought the dentist tells you "they have to come out" and that was the end of the discussion, or the dentist doesn't see any problem and there is no discussion in the first place.

Noah
  • Hadrian Thane
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • The night is dark and full of terrors.
  • Thank Yous: 3
13 Jul 2009 07:24 #3 by Hadrian Thane (GBino)
Replied by Hadrian Thane (GBino) on topic Wisdom Teeth Removal
They are either impacted (or are threatening to become impacted) or they aren't.

If they're impacted, they need to come out, lest you suffer the consequences. Things like opening nasty rifts in the fabric of space-time.

If they aren't impacted, and your insurance will still cover the removal, my opinion (and that of my dentist) is to still take them out to prevent any future complications. They are completely vestigial and when not impacted take a minimum of effort to remove (mine literally took 5 minutes). Also, it is much easier to recover from the removal process when the dentist doesn't have to beat up your head to get them out.

/* OOG
* Rob G.
* Rules Marshal, Margrave
*/
  • Secarius
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Cinis et Cinis Pulvis Et Pulvis
  • Thank Yous: 1
13 Jul 2009 09:35 #4 by Secarius (Secarius)
Replied by Secarius (Secarius) on topic Wisdom Teeth Removal
I had mine yanked. the worst was the needle of novicaine/lidocaine... and the soreness after the fact. again.. if they are impacted it is much less pleasant experience than if they are not impacted. took about 4 days to get back to normal. as Gambino said.. if your ins will cover it.. and the DR. doesnt mind.. get it done.. will save you trouble in the long run..

ALex S.
player of Brax the Barbarian
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
13 Jul 2009 10:01 #5 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Wisdom Teeth Removal

My question is, is it really worth it ?

FOIG.  ;)

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
13 Jul 2009 10:04 #6 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Wisdom Teeth Removal
In my case, 36 years ago, yes. 
Even with the dry sockets.

OF course, if you enter the Silent Service, Uncle will remove them immediately before your first underseas assignment as a matter of policy.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
13 Jul 2009 10:43 #7 by Baroness Hartwoode (jadelet)
Replied by Baroness Hartwoode (jadelet) on topic Wisdom Teeth Removal
There are indeed times when it is optional. I had the option to have my wisdom teeth (non-impacted) removed in my teen years, just after they came in. They were fine, healthy, but were a tight fit--in other words, they pretty much sat almost up against the back of my jaw. They suggested I might want to have them removed for more room since I might not be able to brush them well. I opted to keep them, but years later their prediction came true--cavity ridden cause my brush couldn't reach them right, one of them even broke. Dentist couldn't reach them to drill.
My experience was probably better than some--the removal for me was painless although there was bone involved--the DR was just good at his novocaine application. The recovery was pretty OK--plenty of painkillers to get me through the first few days, just follow the instructions on keeping the sockets clean.  Yes, the injection hurt, but not any worse than the novocaine when I got other teeth drilled.
Hope that helped. . .?

Baroness Mixolydia Hartwoode of Travance
March Warden of Selendrias

Alas for those that never sing,
But die with all their music in them!
(oog-Jen W.)
13 Jul 2009 13:44 #8 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic Wisdom Teeth Removal
Get them out when you are young... do not let them become impacted... do not let them fuse to your jaw bone... do not put off mild inconvience for today what will bring terrible nastiness tomorrow.

-OOG Michael Smith
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.524 seconds