making your own bodice?

• brik
  • whatever
  • Thank Yous: 14
22 Sep 2009 00:30 #1 by brik (sonya)
making your own bodice? was created by brik (sonya)
i know some of you sew so i was wondering, has anyone ever made their own bodice before?  i'd like one but i'm really cheap all the ones i've ever seen online or at ren faires are wayy too much money. soo i was wondering it'd be be more cost effective to just make my own?  or is that just way too difficult to bother with?

oog - sonya m.
  • Ella Rae
  • Battle Gypsy.
  • Thank Yous: 0
22 Sep 2009 11:51 #2 by Ella Rae (Ella Rae)
Replied by Ella Rae (Ella Rae) on topic making your own bodice?
My mom made mine. It's pretty easy...just find a pattern you like lol.

The gleam in her eye,
The smile on her face,
Innocence?
You can only hope...

OOG - Morgan M.
IG- Ella Rae aka Battle Gypsy
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
22 Sep 2009 11:59 #3 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic making your own bodice?
It more than likely depends on what you are looking for.  I haven't made one personally, but if you don't want a real steel-boned bodice, and go for plastic or even the lighter metal, you can make it relatively inexpensively depending on the rest of your materials.  But often its the steel boning and the time it takes to sew it all in that ends up being costly. 

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
  • Seamstress
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Sew much fabric, sew little time
  • Thank Yous: 1
22 Sep 2009 19:54 #4 by Seamstress (Seamstress)
Replied by Seamstress (Seamstress) on topic making your own bodice?
I wouldn't touch making one with a ten-foot pole, personally.  Getting it to fit right and dealing with the boning, and all the finishing is more than I care to try.

OOG ~ Tina S ~ aka Seamstress
Primary Location 42°42' N, 75°11' W
Preferred Location 18°22'N, 78°14'W
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Sep 2009 20:28 #5 by
Replied by on topic making your own bodice?
I've made a few mostly in college but i've made them. Heres my 1 question do you a bodice or a corset? If it has boning in it is technically a corset. If it is unboned it is a bodice.

I suggest going to  store.corsetmaking.com/Merchant2/merchan...gory_Code=K&AFFIL=CM    
they sell kits with detailed directions.  You can choose either steal or plastic boning fabric closures all that stuff. All you need to worry about it fabric but the pattern has fabric suggestions on the back of the envelope. Also you may want to put interfacing in-between the layers for extra support, its not always required but i feel it makes it more sturdy.
23 Sep 2009 12:51 #6 by Mother Rhonna (Rhonna)
Replied by Mother Rhonna (Rhonna) on topic making your own bodice?
ive made a few bodices. there hard but with each one they get easier. you wont need much fabric at all. the boning they sell at craft stores is nice cause you sew it right onto the fabric but don't expect much support from it. ive also found a good website where you can order pre-cut pieces of steel boning. if thats the rout you want to go, make the bodice, measure the seems where you'll want boning, then order it and add it in later.

IG: Rhonna Mcbane
OOG: Dani Swinick
  • Lois Heimdell
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "All good stories are built on conflict," said the Raven to the Writing Desk.
  • Thank Yous: 1026
23 Sep 2009 14:00 #7 by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Replied by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell) on topic making your own bodice?
"Bodice" is a very loose term. A real supportive garment - with strong boning, that shapes your body - is probably not worth the difficulty level if you've never really done work on that level before. If you do a lot of sewing normally, then maybe the difficulty jump is alright; you'll probably just need a little bit of help (especially with fitting/measuring; it's pretty much impossible to measure yourself for something that needs to fit so precisely). If you don't sew much (or at all), I wouldn't attempt it for a first project.

However, if you're just looking for a ren-style bodice that's there to look nice but does not need to shape your body - essentially a tightly-laced vest with *maybe* some plastic boning in the front - they're really not that difficult, and there are a number of commercial patterns available. /tangent rant In fact, you can see many vendors at ren faires selling bodices that are clearly Simplicity #5582, can't a fantasy-themed store have a little more creativity, if only with the trim? GRRR. /rant Actually, Simplicity #5582 is not a bad place to start; I do not believe it has any boning in it and would probably be a good pattern for a novice seamstress, so that you learn how the different shapes lay on your body. Just dressing up the fabric or trim can go a long way in making something that looks unique, and that's something that's limited more by budget than skill level.

----

----
((OOG: Cassie Stanley, Marshal Deputy))
  • brik
  • whatever
  • Thank Yous: 14
23 Sep 2009 15:10 #8 by brik (sonya)
Replied by brik (sonya) on topic making your own bodice?
thanks a bunch everyone, i think i have a good idea of what i'm going to do :)

oog - sonya m.
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.510 seconds