larping shoes

22 Sep 2009 19:49 #1 by Mordecai Ashfields (ambrose_leonidas)
larping shoes was created by Mordecai Ashfields (ambrose_leonidas)
Does anybody know where I can find good larping shoes, like that would look good on a barbar? I was even considering uggs....

Rupert the adventurer

OOG: Cody Robert Queen
  • Quin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Captain Cupcake
  • Thank Yous: 15
22 Sep 2009 19:53 #2 by Quin (Quin)
Replied by Quin (Quin) on topic larping shoes

Quin K.
It isn't enough to talk about peace, one must believe it.
    And it isn't enough to believe in it, one must work for it.

Emily (MM/RPM)
22 Sep 2009 19:57 #3 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic larping shoes
This is just one guy talking here, but I think you should make sure you support your feet... make them comfortable, and make them supportive of your arches.  Your Health>>Style no matter what that woman in 9" pumps says.

-OOG Michael Smith
  • Thorgrim Ironfeld
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Half of an analysis....is anal.
  • Thank Yous: 0
22 Sep 2009 20:54 #4 by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC)
Replied by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC) on topic larping shoes
Footware are extremely important. Getting something quality in game is certainly the goal, but get a good pair of solid hiking boots that are water proof before you get some suede-ish or in period looking shoe that will not help you in the dark when you are running in the woods with limited or no support. If you do step into a wet area (bet on it when there's snow on the ground or when its muddy when it rains or the snow melts) you will curse your purchase if it doesn't help you there. :)

OOG name: Mitch
Master Runesmith of Pendarvin

Don't let the grey hair fool you...wait scratch that...DO let the grey hair fool you.
_____
I make leather armor and various items for sca, larps and dagorhir. Here's my photobucket: s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/mc1csmo/
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
22 Sep 2009 21:09 #5 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic larping shoes
UGGs (and other Sheepskins) are warm, but all the ones I've worn are somewhat loose on my feet (since you don't lace them), and I can't run in them when I need to - down a hill to a fight, at night, for example.  They look great, and are comfortable, but not for the Warrior type that needs good footing.

Mitch is right, support is key.  A good pair of hiking boots, with fur wraps on top, would be fine.

If you want to go for the big bucks, Son of Sandlar makes EXCELLENT period boots with wonderful support, that will stand up to just about anything.  They're pricey - $300 to $700 - but once you get a pair, you'll be set for years, and your feet will thank you for it.  Unfortunately, the NY Ren Faire just ended, otherwise you could get them there - I think the MD faire has them, too.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Lina Marinescu
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Only the curious have something to find
  • Thank Yous: 78
22 Sep 2009 21:40 #6 by Lina Marinescu (Ismaesumi)
Replied by Lina Marinescu (Ismaesumi) on topic larping shoes

This is just one guy talking here, but I think you should make sure you support your feet... make them comfortable, and make them supportive of your arches.  Your Health>>Style no matter what that woman in 9" pumps says.

I personally cannot wear anything with a significant heel to them. As far as KR boots go, I have a pair of snow boots that look pretty IG, I just put Dr. Scholls inserts in mine and I'm good to go. It's cheap, they're comfortable and they have support. I know how it is to have to operate on a tight budget, it's tough, but if you get creative enough you can find ways to make stuff look IG.

If you're going for the Barbarian look, you or someone who is crafty could make "leggings" out of fake fur from Wal-Mart. It's how I made my Satyr legs for last event. If you want more from that front, send me a PM and I'll do what I can to help you.

IG- Lina Marinescu
OOG- Katie M.- Lead Monster Marshal

The stalwart soul has the will to live and is eager for the race ~Taylor Caldwell

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Secarius
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Cinis et Cinis Pulvis Et Pulvis
  • Thank Yous: 1
22 Sep 2009 21:42 #7 by Secarius (Secarius)
Replied by Secarius (Secarius) on topic larping shoes
being one who plays a barbarian what i do is either wear my plain o black army boots and or my new rocks. as the new rocks may be out of many people price range i would suggest the army boots. and IF u want to go the extra mile it is very easy to get faux fur and wrap it around the ankle part giving the "fur" look. and said fur can be easily attacked with pins, buttons, and the like

ALex S.
player of Brax the Barbarian
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
22 Sep 2009 22:17 #8 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic larping shoes
I agree that if you can't make the price jump to just get a (wonderful) pair of Son of Sandler boots, go with a decent set of hiking boots in IG colors - of course with the already suggested option of a fur wrap if you want.  I will say though, if you can afford them (I think mine were 250 but that was 5 years ago), Son of Sandlers are great.  After years of constant abuse mine are only just now starting to get worn down, and thats just the appearance - they are still water tight and relatively comfortable.  I just never took care of the leather so now I'm paying the price in scuffing and stiffness. 

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
22 Sep 2009 23:10 #9 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic larping shoes
There are websites and other places that sell special spatts and/or IG looking covers to boots, so they look IG.

As so... just make sure you account for the overall size of your foot and boot before buying 1 of these.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
22 Sep 2009 23:16 #10 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic larping shoes
I hate to say this, but do NOT go with the toppers like those.  I bought a pair, and the first time I put them on they ripped right apart - before I even got to the game.

If you're going for toppers, go with fur (being a Barbarian), or get ones made from good leather, and not pleather / vinyl.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Thorgrim Ironfeld
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Half of an analysis....is anal.
22 Sep 2009 23:33 #11 by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC)
Replied by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC) on topic larping shoes
Its not hard to make leather/fur wraps to cover your boots and even higher up on your shins. They can be an extension of shinguards/greaves, or just cover the top of your boots to obscure the brand label and obvious modern stitching. Look me up in game and we can discuss it in game (we can rp it in character so as not to ruin the atmosphere). I can also give you ideas on how to do it yourself, but can also make them for you if need be. Its much simpler than you might think as far as labor and material cost is only as authentic or elaborate as you want to go.

OOG name: Mitch
Master Runesmith of Pendarvin

Don't let the grey hair fool you...wait scratch that...DO let the grey hair fool you.
_____
I make leather armor and various items for sca, larps and dagorhir. Here's my photobucket: s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/mc1csmo/
23 Sep 2009 00:08 #12 by Mordecai Ashfields (ambrose_leonidas)
Replied by Mordecai Ashfields (ambrose_leonidas) on topic larping shoes
Thanks for the suggestions everyone  ;D I think I'm going to see what I can do with a fur wraps, and see if maybe there is a way I can make them run up my legs as shinguards. Does anybody have any suggestions on that?

Rupert the adventurer

• Erim Walker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • I love Travance. There are shirtless men EVERYWHER
23 Sep 2009 10:13 #13 by Erim Walker (shiva14b)
Replied by Erim Walker (shiva14b) on topic larping shoes
I'm going to come right out and say it... at your age, I would try to avoid spending a lot of money on shoes. You're still growing after all! Nothing would be worse than dropping a months pay on a pair of shoes only to grow out of them by next season.

"Ok we can attack... but if we miss, we'll hit the villagers."
"I'm willing to take that chance!"

Things I am no longer allowed to do in an RPG :
31. The backup trap handler is not whoever has the most HP at the time.
73. Not allowed to name my cudgel Ceremonial Whoopass Stick.
74. My thief's battle cry is not "Run And Live"

[OOG Jenna
23 Sep 2009 10:48 #14 by Mordecai Ashfields (ambrose_leonidas)
Replied by Mordecai Ashfields (ambrose_leonidas) on topic larping shoes

I'm going to come right out and say it... at your age, I would try to avoid spending a lot of money on shoes. You're still growing after all! Nothing would be worse than dropping a months pay on a pair of shoes only to grow out of them by next season.

Yep Yep, I was thinking about that, thats why I think I am just going to get regular, reliable boots, and to make them look IG I was going to put fur wraps going for the bottom of the boots to my shins.

Rupert the adventurer

• Lina Marinescu
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Only the curious have something to find
  • Thank Yous: 78
23 Sep 2009 13:10 #15 by Lina Marinescu (Ismaesumi)
Replied by Lina Marinescu (Ismaesumi) on topic larping shoes
I can help you make "shin guards" made of fake fur, for about 20 dollars. Shoot me a PM and we can start getting them made for you.

IG- Lina Marinescu
OOG- Katie M.- Lead Monster Marshal

The stalwart soul has the will to live and is eager for the race ~Taylor Caldwell

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Bellanear
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 13
23 Sep 2009 13:34 - 23 Sep 2009 13:39 #16 by Bellanear (Alai)
Replied by Bellanear (Alai) on topic larping shoes
Hit up your local Military Surplus store, grab a pair of standard boots (Jungle Boots would be best, they let your feet breath, I plan to get a pair soon).

You will be looking at $25-$30, and mine (USAF issue) have lasted for 9 years so far.

Get insoles if you aren't used to the..ah... unique experience of military footwear, though. (although the aforementioned jungle boots are comfy enough).

The best thing about them is that since they are black leather, they go with everything and don't look as horribly OOG as you would think.

For something even better, stop by a Harley Davidson or other motorcycle store, they will have great boots without laces that look very period, just ask James (it's what he at least used to wear).  Those will run you more than the combat boots, but considerably less than Son of Sandlar.

Since really good period boots are likely the most expensive single piece you will get for your gear, in my opinion they are the lowest priority.  Over eleven years of KR later, I'm still wearing the combat boots I graduated to from sandals.

EDIT: If you know anyone active duty, they can get boots from the BX even cheaper.

-Bellanear Cyeos
The Alabaster Seal
Guardian of The Ivory Tower

Gavin S.
Last edit: 23 Sep 2009 13:39 by .
  • Odo Garaath
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Back and Ready For More!
  • Thank Yous: 12
23 Sep 2009 13:52 #17 by Odo Garaath (Odo)
Replied by Odo Garaath (Odo) on topic larping shoes
Steve O can attest to harley davidson durability at KR.

Right Steve?

"Praise be to Enax, and blessing to his followers."

(Tom Senger )
23 Sep 2009 18:48 #18 by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad)
Replied by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad) on topic larping shoes
Check out www.swordsofhonor.com and Leather Mystics for inexpensive leather boots. from $105  -- $125

We hold in our hands the harvest of what we have sown in Hope. Do we sow for Good? or for Evil?

Ded Dawg O'Doul

OOG = Dave Sullivan Sr; Indiana

Kanarak=VC999 Institutional Head
PC = Ded Dawg O'Doul. Inn Keeper
NPC = Huh! The Dumbest of the Ale Belly Ogres
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.627 seconds