Anyone read The Gathering Storm? Thoughts?

• Thorgrim Ironfeld
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Half of an analysis....is anal.
  • Thank Yous: 0
03 Nov 2009 08:19 #1 by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC)
Anyone read The Gathering Storm? Thoughts? was created by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC)
I've not gotten the 12th book of the Jordan series, but wondering if anyone here has and what they think of the consistancy of writing?

Thx,

MC

OOG name: Mitch
Master Runesmith of Pendarvin

Don't let the grey hair fool you...wait scratch that...DO let the grey hair fool you.
_____
I make leather armor and various items for sca, larps and dagorhir. Here's my photobucket: s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/mc1csmo/
  • Erim Walker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • I love Travance. There are shirtless men EVERYWHER
03 Nov 2009 10:03 #2 by Erim Walker (shiva14b)
Replied by Erim Walker (shiva14b) on topic Anyone read The Gathering Storm? Thoughts?
I forced myself through 3 (4?) of those wheel of time books on reputation ("what? you're a fantasy fan and haven't read WoT?!") before i said "f--- this noise". I thought they were terrible.

I THOUGHT they were a terrible, terrible line-for-line rip-off of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth novels... until I looked at the publication dates and realized that Goodkind was the thief, not Jordon. But Goodkind did it so much better, I can't even fault him (even if SoT was basically crap from Pillars of Creation on).

Conversely, perhaps I would have enjoyed WoT if I hadn't read SoT first. A question for the ages.

In answer to your question: Jordon was ripped off, by someone who ended up writing Jordon better than Jordon does. Save yourself the time and pick up Wizards First Rule instead :-P

"Ok we can attack... but if we miss, we'll hit the villagers."
"I'm willing to take that chance!"

Things I am no longer allowed to do in an RPG :
31. The backup trap handler is not whoever has the most HP at the time.
73. Not allowed to name my cudgel Ceremonial Whoopass Stick.
74. My thief's battle cry is not "Run And Live"

[OOG Jenna
  • Liz
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 173
03 Nov 2009 12:19 #3 by Liz (Liz)
Replied by Liz (Liz) on topic Anyone read The Gathering Storm? Thoughts?
So......back to the question at hand.

I bought the book the first day out and I have to say I was pleasantly suprised at how similar the writing styles are. There are a few differences, a little less detail or depth here and there, but all in all I greatly enjoyed it.

Read it and we can discuss it more hehe- Im not giving away what happens ;p

Allyce
Lieutenant of the Baronial Guard

Mae Fang Zhang
Healer of Khitan
"Go with honor and your ancestors shall guide you."

Allyce
Lt. of the Baronial Guard
"Well... who likes a dull life? There's work to do."

OOG: Liz Reese

Marshal
Land Staff
03 Nov 2009 13:03 #4 by Dynamic Reality (Dynamic Reality)
Replied by Dynamic Reality (Dynamic Reality) on topic Anyone read The Gathering Storm? Thoughts?
and while you're waiting for volume 12.2 and 12.3...have you checked out 'The Lies of Locke Lamora' by Scott Lynch or of course the 'Song of Ice and Fire' saga by George RR Martin...I like them as they are kind of 'low-fantasy'...far grittier and less casual flinging of magic around...

Character: Lee Yu Sheng
OOG: Josh M.

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated."
    - Confucius
04 Nov 2009 10:21 #5 by Lord Devirr (Eliston)
Replied by Lord Devirr (Eliston) on topic Anyone read The Gathering Storm? Thoughts?
i read it in a day. it was a pretty seamless transition you should definately check it out if you are a fan of the series.

tommy
pc- lex, elaith, eliston
  • Tyra Silverfang
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • I eat dark god babies...
04 Nov 2009 21:11 #6 by Tyra Silverfang (Pracika Nightwing)
Replied by Tyra Silverfang (Pracika Nightwing) on topic Anyone read The Gathering Storm? Thoughts?
i know Mal/Kwildar got the book and i'm only on the 10th book right now but i've been waiting to hear some feedback about it. I've enjoyed Jordan's writing style from the very beginning and was shocked at how detailed he could write and still keep things interesting, so hearing all this good feedback is awesome! I was so worried that the newer author would completely wreck the entire series for me! I would be soooo disappointed if i just read through all 11 of those uber long books just to be disappointed at the end.

"There is a difference between a hero and a coward. A Hero wakes willing to risk death. A coward wakes wishing for it."

OOG: Adi
06 Nov 2009 09:28 #7 by Lord Devirr (Eliston)
Replied by Lord Devirr (Eliston) on topic Anyone read The Gathering Storm? Thoughts?
I reread the new book and the book before that (a knife of dreams) again in the last few days, because ive had the flu and not much else to do. The new book I must say was pretty damn entertaining. They are finally starting to tie up the loose ends and bringing the story together instead of having like 8 different storylines going on all at once there were maybe 3 in this book, which was nice and easy to keep up with. I cant wait to finish this series and i think that this guy Brandon Sanderson was a good choice because I wouldnt even have noticed that this book was written by a different author.

Sword of truth was ok, the first few books were good. But Goodkind did blatantly rip off much of what jordan did, and in my opinion the books were not at all as detailed in story line or characters as wheel of time. The books were entertaining, but they could not keep up with the scope of the wheel of time books. Plus who always wants to see the hero win by pulling off crazy impossible nonsense everytime, its just got way to ridiculous throughout that series.

Hopefully tho george rr martin will finally finish a song of fire and ice before he passes away, because if he doesnt i will lose my mind. They are by far my favorite books and i just have a bad feeling with the way he has been taking his time, we may never see the end of his story.

tommy
pc- lex, elaith, eliston
06 Nov 2009 11:36 #8 by Dynamic Reality (Dynamic Reality)
Replied by Dynamic Reality (Dynamic Reality) on topic Anyone read The Gathering Storm? Thoughts?
well he's also been busy helping with the live-action 'Game of Thrones' being done for...hmm..I think It's Showtime or HBO...

Character: Lee Yu Sheng
OOG: Josh M.

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated."
    - Confucius
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.513 seconds