Must see Doc.

• Radu Dragovic
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • -Death is but a Door-
  • Thank Yous: 1
10 Jan 2010 14:35 #1 by Radu Dragovic (Radu Dragovic)
Must see Doc. was created by Radu Dragovic (Radu Dragovic)
www.reclaimingtheblade.com/

Great movie , a must see to really understand the blade, its history, uses and such. It will teach even the expert a thing ot two. And its on Netflix instant watch by the way.

Radu Dragovic-Guild Grave Digger and Carpenter of The Black Orchid Merchant Company

-Death is but a doorway, we are richer to of know you and luckier still to have called you friend-

OOG: Jeff Mclean
  • Thorgrim Ironfeld
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Half of an analysis....is anal.
  • Thank Yous: 0
10 Jan 2010 15:17 #2 by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC)
Replied by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC) on topic Must see Doc.
Classic!

OOG name: Mitch
Master Runesmith of Pendarvin

Don't let the grey hair fool you...wait scratch that...DO let the grey hair fool you.
_____
I make leather armor and various items for sca, larps and dagorhir. Here's my photobucket: s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/mc1csmo/
  • Radu Dragovic
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • -Death is but a Door-
10 Jan 2010 16:36 #3 by Radu Dragovic (Radu Dragovic)
Replied by Radu Dragovic (Radu Dragovic) on topic Must see Doc.
Oh yes, to dismiss any myths I had or you have....I went on a curator tour of the Aberdeen Ordance Museum and got a chance to hold a 1000+ year old viking sword. With a white glove and though the pommel had rotted away was soooo well balance it felt like I was holding nothing. Try that!!

Radu Dragovic-Guild Grave Digger and Carpenter of The Black Orchid Merchant Company

-Death is but a doorway, we are richer to of know you and luckier still to have called you friend-

• Thorgrim Ironfeld
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Half of an analysis....is anal.
  • Thank Yous: 0
10 Jan 2010 17:50 #4 by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC)
Replied by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC) on topic Must see Doc.
Ok, before we unzip and compare, let me say...NICE.

OOG name: Mitch
Master Runesmith of Pendarvin

Don't let the grey hair fool you...wait scratch that...DO let the grey hair fool you.
_____
I make leather armor and various items for sca, larps and dagorhir. Here's my photobucket: s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/mc1csmo/
  • Radu Dragovic
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • -Death is but a Door-
10 Jan 2010 18:26 #5 by Radu Dragovic (Radu Dragovic)
Replied by Radu Dragovic (Radu Dragovic) on topic Must see Doc.
LOL

• Tiriel
  • Banned
  • Banned
11 Jan 2010 00:35 #6 by Tiriel (Tiriel)
Replied by Tiriel (Tiriel) on topic Must see Doc.
Watched it twice today, nice to see that it gave fair shrift to European fighting techniques, I was growing so tired or people watching youtube videos made by morons, and then proclaiming Asian martial arts superior to European. 

T

Brother Tiriel Tellinghast
Valrkirin Urulokion, in service to Lord Blackthorne
Turin MacLeod (NPC)

Terry
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
14 Jan 2010 15:48 #7 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Must see Doc.
A friend and I took a vacation in the UK around 30 years ago.  While waiting for some ruin of a small castle to open (it was open 4 hours a day, two days a week from May through September), an elderly gentleman approached and we struck up a conversation about castles, which of course eventually encompassed weaponry.  For some strange reason, we were discussing the relative merits of Japanese vs. European blades.  I was lamenting the difficulty in finding hands on comparisons, along with the difficulty in obtaining true metallurgical samples.  

He invited us to his house to see his "wee collection."  I told him we really wanted to see this fortification and he said don't worry - he was the curator.  WAIT - it gets better.  Scott and I walk to his house (an interesting escapade in itself) and there is one room full of weapons (admittedly it was a modest room, but things were well organized).  Numberous Katanas, wakazashis and naganatias opposite a few ax heads, long swords, a broad sword and a large number of daggers.  There were even pieces of chain and a very small piece of armor that would have protected the knee of someone.

Many of the Japanese weapons were sets of katana-wakazashi.  Seems his "unit" saw a lot of action and the "boys" decided to let him house their  collection as all they were using the weapons for was to trim shrubs and such.  The swords of European origin were superbly balanced though heavier than the katanas.  .  He had made his own chain and placed it on an arming dummy over a gambescon.  He had done striking tests and it was his opinion that the katana would not seriously harm a mail encased foe, whereas the longsword had a decent chance of breaking something if it hit.  Neither would penetrate by the point.  

He gave me a few rings from different pieces of his collection and I had a chemical analysis performed on them.  They were all low carbon, .08-.24.  

My vacations have a knack of my running into people like him.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.517 seconds