Job Search

• Onca
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 202
17 Jan 2010 14:15 #1 by Onca (Lorelai)
Job Search was created by Onca (Lorelai)
I'm pretty new to KR, but you guys have been friendly and supportive when I thought I might lose my job, when my brakes went out, etc. Well, things took another downturn and I was fired last week, so I'm scrabbling desperately for work. I'm not from this coast (Portland, OR is my hometown) and I have to pay rent. If anyone happens to know any work available in the northern Jersey area, or possibly in NYC, any lead helps.

I really want to be able to stay out here, if I have to go back to OR because of money problems it's gonna be with my tail between my legs, which is never a good feeling. I want to continue to join you all in Travance and make new friends out here.

/depressing, begging post

~ Lorelai Sihnon VonRitter
Huntress of Galladel
Head of House VonRitter of the Witch Hunter Academy

OOG:
Rachel Jump/Onca
(New Player Marshal)
  • Erim Walker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • I love Travance. There are shirtless men EVERYWHER
  • Thank Yous: 0
17 Jan 2010 15:05 #2 by Erim Walker (shiva14b)
Replied by Erim Walker (shiva14b) on topic Job Search
Well... lets start with what do you do for a living?

"Ok we can attack... but if we miss, we'll hit the villagers."
"I'm willing to take that chance!"

Things I am no longer allowed to do in an RPG :
31. The backup trap handler is not whoever has the most HP at the time.
73. Not allowed to name my cudgel Ceremonial Whoopass Stick.
74. My thief's battle cry is not "Run And Live"

[OOG Jenna
  • Onca
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
17 Jan 2010 15:40 #3 by Onca (Lorelai)
Replied by Onca (Lorelai) on topic Job Search
I'm a linguistics student at Montclair. Most of my background is in IT/tech support or retail. I -want- to work on reconstructing ancient languages and researching dying languages, or perhaps speech therapy. I could also be pretty content teach ESL, so long as I get to finish my degree up.

That a good start?

Huntress of Galladel

OOG:
Rachel Jump/Onca
(New Player Marshal)
  • Odo Garaath
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Back and Ready For More!
  • Thank Yous: 12
17 Jan 2010 16:45 #4 by Odo Garaath (Odo)
Replied by Odo Garaath (Odo) on topic Job Search
Do you have any experience from prior jobs?

"Praise be to Enax, and blessing to his followers."

(Tom Senger )
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
17 Jan 2010 17:19 #5 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Job Search
If you need a job, Dice.com and Monster.com are the way to go for IT stuff.  A lot of it is either going to be contract / limited (3-6 months), or entry level, but if you're still in school, that is perfect.  Having just done the job hunt thing myself, I can tell you it's rough out there right now.

My suggestion would be to grab something in IT, and A) Get paid, B) Get experience.  From there, you can continue your studies while working, and possibly angle for a job closer to what you want to do down the line.  If you can, go for IT in archival / research or university settings, where you can then apply yourself to more academic pursuits.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Kelly
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank Yous: 134
18 Jan 2010 08:04 #6 by Kelly (Kelly)
Replied by Kelly (Kelly) on topic Job Search
If you can send me your resume, I can submit it to my company for a job at the Allentown PA office. Its not a job guarentee but they'll at least look at it. My work email is . Its insurance but sometimes they look for IT support.

Dame Zafrin Yhatzi
Knight of Drega'mire

OOG: Kelly Osborne
  • Tiriel
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank Yous: 1
18 Jan 2010 10:27 #7 by Tiriel (Tiriel)
Replied by Tiriel (Tiriel) on topic Job Search
This might be worth checking out, I overheard a couple of kids in the deli this morning talking about it.

2010.census.gov/2010censusjobs/

T

Brother Tiriel Tellinghast
Valrkirin Urulokion, in service to Lord Blackthorne
Turin MacLeod (NPC)

Terry
18 Jan 2010 13:06 #8 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic Job Search
Terry,

Wow, $18.00 an hour is not bad for walking around asking people questions, and it's mostly evening and weekends so you can still go to school.  Rachel, get there!

-OOG Michael Smith
  • Onca
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
20 Jan 2010 23:48 #9 by Onca (Lorelai)
Replied by Onca (Lorelai) on topic Job Search
Thank you all for the awesome tips - started the census testing and all just today, but hoping I find something more immediate...either way, thanks so much for all the help, and I'm always open to hearing about any other opportunities ;p Hopefully monster.com actually gives me something this time - it's always let me down, previously.

See you in Feb, I hope!

Huntress of Galladel

OOG:
Rachel Jump/Onca
(New Player Marshal)
  • Quin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Captain Cupcake
  • Thank Yous: 15
21 Jan 2010 10:08 #10 by Quin (Quin)
Replied by Quin (Quin) on topic Job Search
To be honest, when I didn't have a job for like 2 weeks I pretty much applied everywhere. When you need to make money you can't be picky....
I'd say, print out like 20 resumes and go local first, then maybe craigslist, dice, and monster. Since monster is kinda impersonal, you might get picked for a "job interview" by scam companies. These are the kind with "great marketing opportunities!" and "in need of some skilled people that we've never met!" when all you're doing is doing door to door selling for not much money.  Dice.com is definitely more reputable if you're trying something in the IT department.

Just be careful! I hope you find something you like : )

Quin K.
It isn't enough to talk about peace, one must believe it.
    And it isn't enough to believe in it, one must work for it.

Emily (MM/RPM)
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
21 Jan 2010 10:38 #11 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Job Search
I've been laid off for about 2 months now... it's been rough out there.  I would give you a warning about "recruiters" and any "phone calls" you might get from them.  If they ask for a resume, that's ok.  Do NOT give a home address, social, and birthday combination of info.  If they say they need to verify your work status, tell them you can provide proof, but only in-person and when it's at an interview.  No recruiter needs your personal data up-front.  There are a lot of "phishing" scammers out there, pretending to be recruiters and trying to get ID data through fake calls about jobs.

Create 2 versions of your resume... 1 for public posting on websites (monster, careerbuilder, dice, etc...) that only contains a safe email address you trust, and maybe your cell number.  The other version can have all your home data and other stuff.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.563 seconds