Spell Delivery (or w/2 you get eggroll).

• Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
28 Apr 2011 21:47 #1 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Spell Delivery (or w/2 you get eggroll). was created by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
A lot of questions about weapon casting vs spell packet casting have come up... so I thought I put down all the variations that have come up.  I am leaving out if the packet or weapon misses you, as that is obvious (or at least I hope it is) that you don't get hit or take an effect.  I was going to post this in the asking the rules section, but we've pretty much covered everything on that thread.  This thread is more of an open discussion thing and getting opinions, ideas, etc...  All of the below is open to correction by a Rules Marshal.

1. Castergirl uses a spell/prayer/druidic/bardic and tosses the spell packet at Tankguy.  Tankguy can only call a spell defense (like Magic/Prayer Resist, Negation, Elemental Shield, Spell Grounding, etc) to avoid taking the effect.

2. Castergirl uses a spell/prayer/druidic/bardic and weaponcasts it through a melee weapon.  Tankguy can call a physical defense (parry, deflect, dodge, displacement, luck, resist) to not take the effect.  If Tankguy has no physical defense, he can still call a spell defense (like Magic/Prayer Resist, Negation, Elemental Shield, Spell Grounding, etc) to avoid taking the effect.

3. Castergirl uses a spell/prayer/druidic/bardic and weaponcasts it through a thrown/ranged weapon.  Tankguy can call a physical defense (yado, parry, deflect, dodge, displacement, luck, resist) to not take the effect.  If Tankguy has no physical defense, he can still call a spell defense (like Magic/Prayer Resist, Negation, Elemental Shield, Spell Grounding, etc) to avoid taking the effect.

The benefit of melee weaponcasting is you don't need to carry a lot of spell packets, and the accuracy/percentage chance you'll hit/make contact is higher due to being closer to your target.

The benefit of packet casting is you can do it from a range, and there are less defenses the target can call against your packet.  Plus as long as you hit the target, regardless of location (like weapon or shield), the spell takes effect.

The benefit of ranged weaponcasting is... well, I don't see a benefit there.  You can't use it under 10' (unless Tankguy is charging the shooter, then you can Point Blank him.  However, he can still has all the defensive options on scenario 3).  Over 10', he can still use a ton of physical defenses and spell defenses. You have to carry a ton of arrows/rocks/knives/shuriken/javelins.  If the ranged weaponcast spell is tossed back at you... you can't use your bow or throwing weapon to parry/deflect it.

Another thing about weapon cast is a verbal still needs to be recited before each time it's used.  I used to think you didn't need to recite a verbal, but you do.  Bad mistake on my part for not paying attention or following the rules on that.

Sam posted some possible changes are coming up to weaponcasting... so all this could change.

Any thoughts or ideas to be helpful?

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.461 seconds