Need a bit of advice/help

01 May 2011 03:00 #1 by Brunner Von Ritter (Martin Bridge)
Need a bit of advice/help was created by Brunner Von Ritter (Martin Bridge)
Regarding FAA/US baggage regulations, and international flight regulations (at least to the USA).

I plan on bringing my 39inch LARPing longsword to the october event, will be travelling Emirates via Dubai to JFK international, then to Philly via laGaudia.

I looked at the TSA guidelines in terms of domestic travel, and its fine to bring the prop through LGA to Philly, but just wondering if anyone knows how I'd go with international travel, if I can put it in my checked baggage?

Thanks in advance.

OOC Name - Martin Bridge
01 May 2011 07:43 #2 by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad)
Replied by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad) on topic Need a bit of advice/help
I brought some actual swords and knives out of Saudi Arabia in my checked baggage .  It has been about five years though

Check with somebody at TSA via website

We hold in our hands the harvest of what we have sown in Hope. Do we sow for Good? or for Evil?

Ded Dawg O'Doul

OOG = Dave Sullivan Sr; Indiana

Kanarak=VC999 Institutional Head
PC = Ded Dawg O'Doul. Inn Keeper
NPC = Huh! The Dumbest of the Ale Belly Ogres
01 May 2011 07:57 #3 by Brunner Von Ritter (Martin Bridge)
Replied by Brunner Von Ritter (Martin Bridge) on topic Need a bit of advice/help
Lucky you. My little brother tried to bring a nice dagger back from bali, and got a customs embargo. The Queen seized it for herself.

Anyhow, I will go through the TSA website. Thanks for that. Its six months so even if I buy something over there.

OOC Name - Martin Bridge
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 May 2011 11:42 #4 by
Replied by on topic Need a bit of advice/help
I travel internationally often. I've been to the UAE i'm not sure they'll let you bring the sword. The rules vary a lot, So i'd call their conciliate and ask, before you bring it. No one wants to fly 14 hours and be denied entry, trust me, it's happened to me and its not fun.
03 May 2011 06:37 #5 by Brunner Von Ritter (Martin Bridge)
Replied by Brunner Von Ritter (Martin Bridge) on topic Need a bit of advice/help
Just to query, and clarify as well. I will be taking the sword in HOLD baggage, not as carry-on, and I won't be actually outside the airport in dubai hopefully.

Also, in case of inability to be able to bring the prop, what would be the best course of action.

OOC Name - Martin Bridge
03 May 2011 07:42 #6 by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad)
Replied by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad) on topic Need a bit of advice/help
Best way would be to ship it UPS to somebody here in the states
They could bring it to game

We hold in our hands the harvest of what we have sown in Hope. Do we sow for Good? or for Evil?

Ded Dawg O'Doul

OOG = Dave Sullivan Sr; Indiana

Kanarak=VC999 Institutional Head
PC = Ded Dawg O'Doul. Inn Keeper
NPC = Huh! The Dumbest of the Ale Belly Ogres
04 May 2011 08:06 #7 by Brunner Von Ritter (Martin Bridge)
Okay, probably worst comes to worst, I buy something there, donate it to you guys.

Time to repay james for his generosity to me anyway.

OOC Name - Martin Bridge
05 May 2011 12:28 #8 by Ekatarina McKraegar (EkatarinaMcGregar)
Replied by Ekatarina McKraegar (EkatarinaMcGregar) on topic Need a bit of advice/help
Also take into account that the regulations that are out now might not be the same when you head over in October. Call them a week or so before you're trip over to find out what the current rules are because they may change depending on the current state of the world.

My friend brought back a huge machete once in her checked bag. She was behind me in line and they randomly selected my checked bag to search.

Templar Ekatarina Esmeralda Kisslinger McKregar, Prophet of the Kindred Oak

Neina Avaren

OOC: Ann A.- Logistics Marshal
  • Gwynedd
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 17
05 May 2011 18:17 #9 by Gwynedd (Gwynedd)
Replied by Gwynedd (Gwynedd) on topic Need a bit of advice/help
Martin are you talking about bringing a metal sword or boffer or latex?

Gwynedd
OOG: Suzi Shaffer

What do you need of me?
06 May 2011 01:37 #10 by Brunner Von Ritter (Martin Bridge)
The sword is a 42 inch german ringsword that is LATEX-coated, and conforms with all UK larping regulations, I got it from www.lrpstore.com (not sold anymore actually) and has quite a good balance etc. However, if I was unable to bring it over, the best choice would be to actually buy and ship a sword over there from Lrpstore (I gotta get a second anyway). and then ship back over (parity of the dollar is good for me).

I do have people I know over there, (Paul and Suzi), so I'd be able to pick it up easily. But yeah, just wondering if sword would be a bit too hard to take over.

OOC Name - Martin Bridge
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
06 May 2011 14:14 #11 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Need a bit of advice/help
Not at all, if checked into your belly luggage.  I took back a real one after 911, telling the airline in advance that it would be in my checked luggage.  No problem.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.554 seconds