Information on neck scar

• Bat Cooper
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 74
29 Sep 2011 08:24 - 29 Sep 2011 08:33 #1 by Bat Cooper (Cassius23)
Information on neck scar was created by Bat Cooper (Cassius23)
Hello everyone!

So I was watching "Hang 'em High" for character research and got a costuming idea.

How would someone do neck scars that simulate a failed lynching(I was thinking more of the deep red line but am pretty flexible on the end result)?  Are there any good web pages that show something like that?

IC: Bat Cooper

OOC: James Jones
MM
Last edit: 29 Sep 2011 08:33 by .
17 Oct 2011 23:06 #2 by Rose McTavish (Rose McTavish)
Replied by Rose McTavish (Rose McTavish) on topic Information on neck scar
Don't know if anyone ever got back to you on this privately, but as my character Rose, I have a scar across my right eye that I use Mehron Rigid Collodion to make. Rigid collodion is a scarring makeup that you brush on in liquid form, and as it dries, it pulls together and wrinkles the skin around the area it was used on, thereby making a rather convincing scar.  Here's a link to Mehron's webpage describing it: www.mehron.com/Scarring_Liquid_p/204.htm

OOG - Maxine Mencl
  • Bat Cooper
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 74
18 Oct 2011 08:26 #3 by Bat Cooper (Cassius23)
Replied by Bat Cooper (Cassius23) on topic Information on neck scar
This is exactly what I was looking for.  Do you know if it is at all heat resistant?

IC: Bat Cooper

OOC: James Jones
MM
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
18 Oct 2011 08:48 #4 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Information on neck scar
In what way? The liquid is applied directly to the face, so I'm unsure how much heat you'd want to apply to it once its on your skin. It dries pretty fast, if you are thinking about using a hair dryer on light or some such to dry it faster.

I'm also unsure how well rigid collodion will work as a line around the neck (it takes to different parts of the skin better/worse than others), so you'd have to give it a try - it might take a decent amount of it to get a visible intentation. Definitely test it on a small patch of skin first - I did my face up in scars once for an NPC, and while it worked out great on the cheeks and around the eyes, I ended up with red marks on the forehead and some parts of my nose (where the skin is naturally tighter) for days.  Rigid Collodian tightens the skin to make it look like an indented line (or curve, or however you paint it on) - if you want scarring that bulges away from the skin, you will need to either find a latex prosthetic to apply each event, or, with some practice, you could mold it yourself using liquid latex, which also applies dirrectly to the skin.  Depending on what sort of collar you wear though, I imagine the liquid latex would rub off pretty fast, especially if it doesn't have time to dry completely.

When it comes to special effects scarring, I've found the smaller you go, the better.  The larger the scale you try to go on, the more skin you try to cover, and the greater chance you have of it looking too fake. But in the end if thats what you want, what you'll have to do is just try out a bunch of things, scour the internet for instructions (I bet youtube has ton of videos on application), and practice until it looks good.

As to the original question of whether this is appropriate, if no one has answered you privately, I'd suggest making sure your history has been submitted and approved, and the officer that approves it should be able to tell you if the scarring is okay. Just remember, once you start doing scarring, you will always have to do it.  There is no going back once you start, and that means applying it each and every time you play the character - no exceptions.

Good luck!

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
  • Shiver
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 129
18 Oct 2011 10:08 - 18 Oct 2011 10:14 #5 by Shiver (Shiver)
Replied by Shiver (Shiver) on topic Information on neck scar
Hey James,

MaryBeth is the Atmosphere Officer.  

Just send her your history and she can advise you if it will fit.  Her ID is Casandra.

Thanks for the enthusiasm!

Lucius Blackthorne
Lord of Alisandria

Guild Officer of The Black Orchid Merchant Company

Of the Ram and Raven

“History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

"The godly tongue distills honey, mankind's tether of amber and gold. This is my verdict.

For neither are kingdoms conquered by iron, Nor dies the mighty by the spear.

Men are felled by what they fail to believe in."

((Joe Bondi-Marketing Officer))
Last edit: 18 Oct 2011 10:14 by .
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.501 seconds