KR iPhone app

23 Dec 2011 05:42 #1 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
KR iPhone app was created by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Has there ever been discussion of a kr iOS app? If so sorry for repost. If not any thoughts on what people would like to have in it?

Anhil Shadesar, Knight of Kaladonia

Storyteller
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
23 Dec 2011 11:09 #2 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic KR iPhone app
That's a tricky question - Knight Realms is a LIVE game, not an MMO, or something else computer based.  A good KR App is something that would be useful at the game, but not detract from it, or be a substitute.

I'd also insist that an Android version be available. As much as I am a MacHead myself, I believe in making things as accessible as possible to users of other platforms. ;)

The big one I'd want to see is a Career Point Tracker.  Here's an example - Gideon has 41 body, 108 MP, 30 FP, and 50 CP (Yes, I'm an idiot for taking three Career Point classes, I know).  Having an app that can:

A: Track usage for each type of point easily, with a (+) or (-) button
B: Can be reset / refreshed back to default levels at Period Change with the tap of a button.

This would be handy to have on the field - after a fight, I can quickly tap out the points costs for spells I cast, or I can mark off Crafting Points as I use them at the forge.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
23 Dec 2011 11:41 #3 by Ehlenathelasa Blacktree (ehlena)
Replied by Ehlenathelasa Blacktree (ehlena) on topic KR iPhone app
Geoff, you know all you have to do is ask :-P. One of my coders and two of my artists are actually sitting more or less idle right now...

All hunters die. But not today.

OOG Jenna L.
Main: Ehlenathelasa Blacktree
Alt: Hazar Bint Sha'Haban
Alt: Erim Walker [Retired]
  • Tom P
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 124
23 Dec 2011 11:46 #4 by Tom P (Father Ridigan)
Replied by Tom P (Father Ridigan) on topic KR iPhone app
Lol. We need to make this happen.

Tom P

Father Ridigan

Robert "Dirge" Morgan
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
23 Dec 2011 11:48 #5 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Holy crap, Jenna - that would ROCK.

Steward of Elvalion
23 Dec 2011 12:00 #6 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Replied by Sean Moulson (Moulson13) on topic KR iPhone app
The only reason unasked was I have the iOS dev kit and wanted to work on my coding so if I did anything I would like it to benefit the group. I've never coded for droid but once it's done for one I'm sure it could be ported over.
I think that something that could track your character digitally would be cool. Also if there was some sort of digital character sheet that did the math and what not for us.
Keeping track of my gold would be cool as well.

Storyteller
23 Dec 2011 12:20 #7 by Ehlenathelasa Blacktree (ehlena)
Replied by Ehlenathelasa Blacktree (ehlena) on topic KR iPhone app

The only reason unasked was I have the iOS dev kit and wanted to work on my coding so if I did anything I would like it to benefit the group. I've never coded for droid but once it's done for one I'm sure it could be ported over.

The ease of porting for ANDROID is partially dependent on your coding environment and language. Deadmans builds everything using the Corona engine (LUA coding language), where FOR THE MOST PART its as simple as hitting "build for ANDROID" or "build for iOS" (assuming you have the Apple license). There is usually some kind of spacing adjustment required for different devices (though that includes between iPods, iPhones and iPads), and there are some quirks to keep in mind for each device and OS (example: a PNG-8 will display fine on ANDROID devices, but NOT iOS, meaning everything has to be saved as a PNG-24, despite the enlarged file size). iOS is much more finicky, but the devices tend to be more powerful, so after some trial and error we decided it was easier to build for Apple and then scale down and adjust for ANDROID.

If you have any questions as you move forward with mobile development, feel free to message me (I'm the Creative Director at a mobile games and applications company, Deadmans Productions )

All hunters die. But not today.

OOG Jenna L.
Main: Ehlenathelasa Blacktree
Alt: Hazar Bint Sha'Haban
Alt: Erim Walker [Retired]
  • Moirya
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 35
23 Dec 2011 14:52 #8 by Moirya (Moirya)
Replied by Moirya (Moirya) on topic KR iPhone app
This does sound awesome but.. at the same time, do we really want to encourage people to use their phones during the game?

I think I see enough phone fiddling during the game, in the inn as is. :P

Prin mainile mele,
Moirya Arkanian
Squire to Sir Magnus Von-Ritter
Lieutenant of the Baronial Guard

OOG : Sam Dio
Logistics Marshal / New Player Marshal
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
23 Dec 2011 15:37 #9 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)

Steward of Elvalion
  • Moirya
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 35
23 Dec 2011 15:40 #10 by Moirya (Moirya)
Replied by Moirya (Moirya) on topic KR iPhone app
... <3

That is really cool looking. You can still tell when someone is using their i-whatever with a fancy case but, damn, that totally makes it alot less attention grabbing.

I kinda want that for real life now, thanks Geoff. :D

Prin mainile mele,
Moirya Arkanian
Squire to Sir Magnus Von-Ritter
Lieutenant of the Baronial Guard

OOG : Sam Dio
Logistics Marshal / New Player Marshal
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
23 Dec 2011 16:48 #11 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic KR iPhone app
While the idea is cool, I foresee a lot of posts of people who will be missing/lost cellphones or tablets while at game will increase.  Or during rainy/snowy weather... the phones/tablets will get damaged.

Our character sheets do have space where we are supposed to mark off Body, MP, FP, CP... but it's kinda small.  Any chance we can redo the sheets to increase the size of those sections?

If an app was ever made... I'd like a character sheet look-up app.  A way for people to log in, view their character sheet, & send messages about corrections, if needed.  The KR forum allows people to log in & have a profile account.  PM's, access to private forums, etc.  I wonder if there is a way to link the SMF software, Joomla!, & JFusion to a "view only" record of their characters.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
23 Dec 2011 17:53 #12 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
I've been thinking about that for a while, but there's NO way of doing it at the moment, without completely rebuilding the card system in a new platform and transferring them.  MS Access is not LAMP friendly... And security would be a major concern.

Not impossible, just difficult. ;)

Steward of Elvalion
23 Dec 2011 18:36 #13 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
I was thinking more about a pre/post game app not a during game app. I defiantly would not want to pull from the environment. May haps a way to plan on spending build or a look at the build "trees".

Storyteller
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
23 Dec 2011 20:10 #14 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic KR iPhone app

I was thinking more about a pre/post game app not a during game app. I defiantly would not want to pull from the environment. May haps a way to plan on spending build or a look at the build "trees".

Like I said, it would be nice to have access to our character cards before/after event(s).

I know there are some apps that users can take photos using their smartphones & transform the images into other things, like QR Codes.  I would be interested in an app that allows a person to take a photo/scan their character card using their phone & sending the image as an easy file to read/translate for people's own records.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
24 Dec 2011 06:40 #15 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
So I have a few ideas. Also I learned that I can't design any apps in my current job due to a conflict of interest. Errrr

Any way this is my concept:
Upon launching the app the KR logo appears then fades out. After that eight options appear on the screen.
1. Character sheet
2. Bank
3. Build tree
4. Map
5. History
6. NPC
7. Rule book
8. Forum

1- character sheet: this would let you either upload your character sheet or pull your character sheet from a server to view.

2- bank: this would let you keep track of how much gold you have in the bank and how much liquid gold you have. the bank would not be editable where as the liquid amount would be.

3- build tree: this section would let you, from a drop down menus, choose your profession and race and give you the cost of skills in that tree. Once you pick a race all available professions would be selectable, restricted classes would not show up.

4- map: this would give you a map of the game city and allow you to snap a photo during game and let you drop a geo tag pin on the map. This would allow everyone unique looks into each months event at thing that they were not a part of.

5- history: view the living history of the game. Perhaps give the VIP of characters who runs what area and what has happened in the past.

6- NPC: show the NPC schedule of times at each event and let's you choose what one you are working. Once chosen a push notification will warn you 15 minuets prior to your shift.

7-rule book: this would either link you to the online or PDF rule book with the most current rules.

8- forum: this would link you here to the forums.

This would be a big undertaking to do especially character sheets with the character database we may have to build but if a group of us worked on it, not much work. Also these are just one persons ideas. Let me know what you guys like and what you would change.

Storyteller
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
24 Dec 2011 07:29 #16 by Gallion (Gallion)
Replied by Gallion (Gallion) on topic KR iPhone app
Really when I was thinking about this a while back, I just wanted an app version of the KR rule book. Not a link to the PDF... But rather an interactive menu more or less identical to the previous online rule book. Problem is updating it, so I imagine such a project would need to wait until we finish the last of the changes on the lower list rules.

Aside from that, interactive menus also bringing up maps, etc would be cool. Perhaps a new player welcome area so when we are advertising at cons we tell people they can download this app if they seem interested.

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.598 seconds