Sandler Boots

05 Sep 2012 05:04 #1 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Sandler Boots was created by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
So I just got some Sandler boots and was wondering what type of water proofing spray people would recommend, it says silicon waterproofing but any brand suggestions would be great.

Anhil Shadesar, Knight of Kaladonia

Storyteller
05 Sep 2012 08:10 #2 by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad)
Replied by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad) on topic Sandler Boots
I have three different pair of Sandlar boots as well as various other work boots
Silicone spray is good with no real difference between brands

Gowever a product called Lexol was recommended by a cobbler in town . It is a creamy glycerin based liquid that one sprays from a squirt bottle then spread over the entire surface of the leather

I find Lexol to last longer and also makes/keeps the leather soft and supple
SO my vote is for lexol

It can be found in Farm supply stores like Tractor Supply or Big R . Places that sell horse products also have it Also many boot stores sell it

We hold in our hands the harvest of what we have sown in Hope. Do we sow for Good? or for Evil?

Ded Dawg O'Doul

OOG = Dave Sullivan Sr; Indiana

Kanarak=VC999 Institutional Head
PC = Ded Dawg O'Doul. Inn Keeper
NPC = Huh! The Dumbest of the Ale Belly Ogres
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
05 Sep 2012 09:07 #3 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Sandler Boots
Don't use spray, there's a better solution. It's a bit more work, but the results pay off.

Hit any drug or grocery store, and in the shoe care section, grab a tin of Saddle Soap, and a tin of Mink Oil. Also get a pack of cheap rags, like wash cloths or dish towels, to clean them with. A stiff brush is optional, but works well too.

Use the soap and some water to scrub the boots, and let them dry. Use a clean, soft cloth and apply the oil. Do this once every few months, or more frequently if they get wet or dirty. Do NOT let the leather dry out completely.

I was told this past weekend by the kind man at the Sandlar booth that some wax, rubbed in at the stitched seams, also helps keep water out.

I usually bring my boot cleaning kit to KR, if anyone needs to hit their boots before putting them on on Friday.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom P (Father Ridigan)
  • Kirsten
  • Thank Yous: 105
05 Sep 2012 09:21 #4 by Kirsten (Lotano)
Replied by Kirsten (Lotano) on topic Sandler Boots
Mink oil is the way to go. Every professional boot maker I have talked to has recommended mink oil - it is natural and keeps your leather supple and waterproofed. I have had a pair of Turtle Island (same type as Catskill Mountain) boots for a decade and use only mink oil on them. They are nearly like-new.

Emeline Patterson
Knight of Alisandria

Kirsten
05 Sep 2012 11:00 #5 by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad)
Replied by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad) on topic Sandler Boots
By spray What I mean is a squirt bottles like Windex that squirts a thinkish spray on the leather and gets down into where the welt and sole are joined sometimes that is a deepish groove

Then as Geoff points out rub massage it into the leather

I too have used Mink oil for years in the past both work very well Can't say really why I changed to Lexol But I did

We hold in our hands the harvest of what we have sown in Hope. Do we sow for Good? or for Evil?

Ded Dawg O'Doul

OOG = Dave Sullivan Sr; Indiana

Kanarak=VC999 Institutional Head
PC = Ded Dawg O'Doul. Inn Keeper
NPC = Huh! The Dumbest of the Ale Belly Ogres
  • KaT Adams
  • Thank Yous: 25
06 Sep 2012 03:39 #6 by KaT Adams (katadams)
Replied by KaT Adams (katadams) on topic Sandler Boots
As someone who's worked leather in the past, I adore Mink Oil and Saddle Soap both for proofing and for care. I avoid shoe polishes and sprays of any kind (except Kiwi for my Magnums (A brand of combat/duty boots)). The best bet (IMHO) is always Mink Oil and Saddle Soap combined with a good tight stitching and well-joined seams. Not to mention, with the right set up, it looks very in period to do boot care with these for most reenacting and RP purposes.

It wasn't mentioned, but in terms of shining leathers, and this is just a peeve of mine, the "lighter trick"/spit shining, is bad for leather and will lead to cracking and drying as the heat "shines" the leather by drawing the oils OUT of the material, which, naturally, is the opposite direction of what's wanted.

KaT Adams

"His name meant 'Glad Voice,' and once again had meaning."
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.479 seconds