Wig experts

• Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
09 Dec 2012 22:07 #1 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Wig experts was created by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
I used to have long hair, but had to cut it short for reasons I will not go into. I need some advice on possible wigs & such to wear that would help me get back into looking like my character who had long hair. Please PM me. Thanks.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
09 Dec 2012 22:12 #2 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Wig experts
The quickest advice I can give you is to hit up the Cosplay community. There's a TON of websites that sell wigs to recreate all sorts of styles, for all sorts of characters / roles / recreations - you can probably find a lot more there, and more easily, than you can here. Just google "Cosplay Wigs" to get started.

Remember you'll want to secure the wig somehow, too - either to your current hair, or to a cap of some sort. Trust me, I learned this the hard way...

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
09 Dec 2012 22:33 #3 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Wig experts
I've put out feelers and some questions to the cosplay people I know already. Just covering my bases, & mostly due the fact only KR folks know what I looked like in my costume with my long hair. I need something that matches what I had & can put up with the combat & moving we do. Cosplayers don't fight in rain/snow.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Kleidin
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 152
09 Dec 2012 23:19 #4 by Kleidin (Kleidin)
Replied by Kleidin (Kleidin) on topic Wig experts
If you get a good wig cap, it will be the best wy to start. SCAdians may have additional info on realistic hair pieces and ways o keep them looking good.

Lady Kleidin du Tenkukai Weaveforger Laurent-Belmont of Kaladonia
Master Witch Hunter, and Elder Druid
OOG: Diane Sodher
  • Keavy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Will bite when provoked
  • Thank Yous: 231
10 Dec 2012 09:31 - 10 Dec 2012 09:32 #5 by Keavy (Dani)
Replied by Keavy (Dani) on topic Wig experts
Fellow cosplayer here!

I have tons of wigs from over the years, and I can proudly say that I actually get most of my wigs from eBay. They're always at a good/decent price and the quality is still top notch. And as a bonus, most sellers throw in a wig cap for free. There are thousands of wigs sold on eBay of all different styles, whether you want a bright pink bob, a medium length wavy natural looking brunette, or a four foot long blonde pigtail set. (which I DO have :D ). If you really need help, I'm also an expert at finding the perfect wigs, so if you would like for me to search for one for you, don't hesitate to ask :)

In Loyalty to Arawyn,
Keavy Lylas Kennyr'renaith
Servant and Protector of Arawyn
Druid | Totem Diviner | Herald of Nature
Danielle Sanfilippo
Last edit: 10 Dec 2012 09:32 by Keavy (Dani).
  • KaT Adams
  • Thank Yous: 25
10 Dec 2012 14:01 #6 by KaT Adams (katadams)
Replied by KaT Adams (katadams) on topic Wig experts
For active wig-wear, I'd recommend pinning the wig cap to your hair, the wig to he cap, and secure any pins with the tiny rubber bands for the ends of braids. I haven't (for reasons obvious to anyone looking at my hair) needed a long wig for a while, but I found that a wig cap and OMG TOO MANY PINS is perfect.

KaT Adams

"His name meant 'Glad Voice,' and once again had meaning."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Narcis (ChrisR)
  • Alicia D.
  • Thank Yous: 48
10 Dec 2012 17:14 #7 by Alicia D. (MaidenInSnow)
Replied by Alicia D. (MaidenInSnow) on topic Wig experts
I think this was already said but make sure to PIN THAT SUCKER DOWWWNNN!!! As you can see in the little avatar thing my Pc has white hair. I was running jumpping and rolling around and my poor wig needed some SERIOUS TLC. I got my wig from ebay for like $10 and its great! Just make sure you take good care of it! I would say especially if you have a long wig (mine is a little past my chest) to comb it constantly I did in the morning and whenever I had some down time because it will get knotted. I would say for a long wig that's used for KR it should last about 2-3 events before you have to get a new one.
When this one starts getting icky and I cant get another right away, I'm going to make a nice long braid out of it and wear it like that till I can get a new one. So be ready to get creative! Another good tip is to soak it in fabric softener over night. That will do wonders! Good luck I <3 wigs and have a huge collection so if you want any tips n' tricks PM me!

IG:
Alicia M. Dura
The Woman in White.
==============
OOG: Raquel Allen
(Rocky)
==============
"Every time it snows, all new designs fall out of the sky. It's a wonder that so much beauty has been wasted. Because when they melt, they are lost...never to be seen again."
11 Dec 2012 01:13 #8 by Ehlenathelasa Blacktree (ehlena)
Replied by Ehlenathelasa Blacktree (ehlena) on topic Wig experts
Really, you're better off going a step above a halloween cosplay wig... If you're willing to invest a little money (think starting at $40+), you can get great realistic, durable wigs around the Fashion District in NYC. You've seen how well mine holds up ya, and how good it looks? I roll around in the mud in that sucker, run around, everything, and it's never fallen off once, and it's still holding up after 2 years of LARP-wear (not to mention the 10 years or so I'd had it already).

All hunters die. But not today.

OOG Jenna L.
Main: Ehlenathelasa Blacktree
Alt: Hazar Bint Sha'Haban
Alt: Erim Walker [Retired]
15 Dec 2012 16:03 - 15 Dec 2012 16:04 #9 by Mother Marika (Ophelia)
Replied by Mother Marika (Ophelia) on topic Wig experts
Check out this ebay seller laura_wu. She has really good quality wigs and sometimes she runs specials. I've bought a few wigs from her, and they are the silkiest wigs I've owned.

Master Marika Korsova Laurent Belmont
Priestess of Galmachis
Soul Warden
Shadow Hunter
"For eternity."

Doctor Winifred Sterling
"Oh dear...now I'll have to cut it out...again..."

OOG- Samantha Maksoud
Logistics Marshal

"Intelligence is the wife, imagination is the mistress, memory is the servant."-Victor Hugo
Last edit: 15 Dec 2012 16:04 by Mother Marika (Ophelia).
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.532 seconds