Resources for our (would be) Gamblers

25 Feb 2013 20:15 - 25 Feb 2013 21:18 #1 by Gabrian Grottings (E.B)
Resources for our (would be) Gamblers was created by Gabrian Grottings (E.B)
Cheating is wrong. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it (except the would be cheater who is the exact definition of a butt). Anyone who would tell you otherwise, including that tiny little voice in the back of your head that says its ok only this once, is lying.

For those gamblers at KR who are looking to spice up their IG skills with OOG flavor, I'm leaving the following here:
books.google.com/books?id=XtBHAAAAIAAJ&d...#v=twopage&q&f=false

The above is a link to a book called Sharps and Flats which was one of the premier pieces of literature of its kind; it describes and teaches a number of techniques used by crooked gamblers, card sharps, and con artists that lived in the years that it was written and serves as one of the pivotal pillars for all would be mecahnics.

If you do decide to learn these skills let me STRONGLY urge you to never use them as anything other than entertainment pieces, either as tricks to give your friends a smile (there is little as satisfying as seeing the amazed smile on a friend's face as you deal them a royal flush from a well shuffled deck) or as ways to add a twist to the poker table at KR where you are playing for FAKE money/gold.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record I'm going to repeat, cheating is wrong no matter how you look at it, but if you plan to use these skills only for KR purposes and are willing to accept what they might bring if you get caught, the information is there for you to learn at your discretion.

Please be safe and smart and don't abuse these skills.

If you ever have questions or want to talk to me about this sort of stuff (personally, I find it fascinating), you're always welcome to shoot me a pm or to approach me OOG.

Eli
RP Marshal
Last edit: 25 Feb 2013 21:18 by Gabrian Grottings (E.B).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Croínamara (Jen), Annora (Karen)
25 Feb 2013 20:19 - 25 Feb 2013 20:19 #2 by Gabrian Grottings (E.B)
Replied by Gabrian Grottings (E.B) on topic Resources for our (would be) Gamblers
I literally can't stress hard enough, DON'T USE THESE SKILLS OOG for anything other than entertainment (the sort that doesn't involve wagering money)!

Eli
RP Marshal
Last edit: 25 Feb 2013 20:19 by Gabrian Grottings (E.B).
The following user(s) said Thank You: GJSchaller (GJSchaller), Eden Heimdell (amalthea), Croínamara (Jen), Rowan Uidhir (Teresa)
  • KaT Adams
  • Thank Yous: 25
26 Feb 2013 02:57 #3 by KaT Adams (katadams)
Replied by KaT Adams (katadams) on topic Resources for our (would be) Gamblers
And never let the magician deal with Texas hold 'em.

No, seriously.

KaT Adams

"His name meant 'Glad Voice,' and once again had meaning."
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
26 Feb 2013 04:12 #4 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Resources for our (would be) Gamblers
If one really wants to learn the odds in poker (real poker, stud and draw, not that sham hold-em crap) and cannot do it in their head, there is an excellent book by Oswald Jacoby on the topic. Jacoby was one of the world's top bridge players, but to make real money, he played poker.

My paternal grandmother could do the numbers instinctively in her head. Playing penny ante with her (back then a comic book cost 10 cents, so pennies were worth picking up if dropped.) was an educational experience that stood me well at University.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Andy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 157
04 Mar 2013 17:24 #5 by Andy (Andy)
Replied by Andy (Andy) on topic Resources for our (would be) Gamblers
It would seem in poor tatste to use OOG skill at cheating in a card game at Knight Realms when ther are specific IG skills to represent that. I'm pretty sure in real life I could beat the crap outta old man geezer, but luckily at Knight realms we have skills to represent that... so at least he gets a fighting chance.

Well, as long as he's not asleep ;)

-Sir Hurgar
Knight of Pendarvin

-Andy
Rules Marshal
  • Tiriel
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank Yous: 1
04 Mar 2013 17:53 #6 by Tiriel (Tiriel)
Replied by Tiriel (Tiriel) on topic Resources for our (would be) Gamblers

T

Brother Tiriel Tellinghast
Valrkirin Urulokion, in service to Lord Blackthorne
Turin MacLeod (NPC)

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregor (Caleb)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.492 seconds