costuming question for ladies!

03 Jul 2013 11:42 #1 by Akira Saralonde (katemariexo)
costuming question for ladies! was created by Akira Saralonde (katemariexo)
I'm new to the boards and I'm not sure if this is where I'd post something of this nature (so please let me know if this goes somewhere else!)
But I'm new to KR and larping in general, and I have no idea where to get an under corset for a good price. I'm looking for something simple. Green or brown preferably. I've checked medieval collectables, larpexchange and pearsons but they were a bit too pricey (near $200+ for ones I liked.)

Any suggestions? :)

Akira Saralonde
Treasurer of Ostcliff
OOG: Kaitlyn Bober
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
03 Jul 2013 12:22 - 03 Jul 2013 12:24 #2 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic costuming question for ladies!
It honestly depends what you looking for. You can find cheap "bodices" without any boning or structure for as low as $40 online, but if you want something with decent metal boning and that will last you, expect to pay $100 and usually much more depending on quality. I don't want to get too personal on a public forum, but I can say from experience that if you are at all a little large on top, you'll want to avoid any cheap plastic-boned underbusts, as they will not support you and will quickly fold and break.

It sounds like you want an underbust corset, which changes your options slightly. Etsy is a great place to look online, as a lot of independant sellers have items there. Many people love Damsel in this Dress (she has a website and is on Artfire and Etsy), but I find their fit can be hit or miss depending on the style and the bodytype. Are you looking for brocade, soft leather, hard leather, or cotton? All of these would prompt me to suggest different places to look. You can also peruse the Web Links link to the left for some ideas well: www.knightrealms.com/web-links.html

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2013 12:24 by Elawyn (Elawyn).
03 Jul 2013 12:40 #3 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Replied by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042) on topic costuming question for ladies!
(I am not a Lady)

My Lady has several corsets from Damsel in this Dress and all of them are good. She will hold sales from time to time and if you are quick on the browser buttons can get a great deal on a corset. Her style has only laces in the front so make sure you follow her measurement guide carefully as the fit is less forgiving because there are fewer adjustment points. She has great customer service also so if you want something specific you can always email her and ask.

Best of luck!

Gunnar Gunnarson, Medicine Man
--
OOG: Joe Hines
Former Development Officer
  • Moirya
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 35
03 Jul 2013 13:21 #4 by Moirya (Moirya)
Replied by Moirya (Moirya) on topic costuming question for ladies!
Casta Diva, CS Designs and a booth riiight next to the sky chair folks, are all at the Tuxedo/NY Ren Faire, they are pretty good for inexpensive and starter garb with a ton of color options and have a pretty good variety. The Faire starts in August and goes till the end of Sept. That is my initial recommendation, if you can wait that long. Buying bodices online can be pretty hit or miss so I find trying things on first to be a swell idea.

Prin mainile mele,
Moirya Arkanian
Squire to Sir Magnus Von-Ritter
Lieutenant of the Baronial Guard

OOG : Sam Dio
Logistics Marshal / New Player Marshal
  • Aemorniel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • In Truth, all things are Bound.
  • Thank Yous: 108
03 Jul 2013 14:03 #5 by Aemorniel (Aemorniel)
Replied by Aemorniel (Aemorniel) on topic costuming question for ladies!
I've had great results from corset story. If you google it, you'll find their online store. They offer many different kinds of corsets. I personally have gotten all three of my my waist trainer corsets there (spiral steel boning) and they are fantastic. There's always a sale going on so it's not a bad place to check out. They also offer "fashion" corsets if you're not interested in steel boning. They're what you'll typically find plastic boning corsets to be called. They're usually quite pretty but have no support or cinch.

Loremaster Aemorniel Estelwen Silverbow
The Quill of the Witch Hunter Academy of Travance
Apprentice to the Baronial Small Council
Court Scholar of Pendarvin
Assistant Editor and Columnist of The Travance Chronicle

While Others Succumb, We Overcome
~~~~~~~~~
OOG--JJ G.

The past cannot be changed, forgotten, edited, or erased. It can only be accepted.
03 Jul 2013 14:29 #6 by Akira Saralonde (katemariexo)
Replied by Akira Saralonde (katemariexo) on topic costuming question for ladies!
Thank you, everyone! I'm going to check all of these stores out later. I really appreciate the help! :)

Akira Saralonde
Treasurer of Ostcliff
03 Jul 2013 16:44 #7 by Akira Saralonde (katemariexo)
Replied by Akira Saralonde (katemariexo) on topic costuming question for ladies!
I found a good one at corset story for about $40. My whole thing is that I've never worn one before and before I spend a chunk of money on one that I may or may not like, I'd rather spend a few dollars on one of not so amazing quality (without steel boning and such) and get used to wearing one first. I really appreciate your help, thank you so much!

Akira Saralonde
Treasurer of Ostcliff
03 Jul 2013 21:52 #8 by Eden Heimdell (amalthea)
Replied by Eden Heimdell (amalthea) on topic costuming question for ladies!
My main corsets come from Damsel, and I love 'em. They're quite durable. Another place is SŪSŌ Fashions, at susofashions.com. The seller has good prices, and nice foundation pieces too! I've even gotten a great winter cloak from that site. Hope it helps!

Eden Heimdell
Vassal of Albriar

OOG Lauren F.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Akira Saralonde (katemariexo)
  • KaT Adams
  • Thank Yous: 25
04 Jul 2013 04:10 #9 by KaT Adams (katadams)
Replied by KaT Adams (katadams) on topic costuming question for ladies!
One company I can personally recommend, but with caveats, is Mayfaire Moon. Their work is fantastic, and they prefer to measure you in person to make sure they get your dimensions -perfect.

THAT said, they are expensive! A few to several hundred dollars. Top notch materials and craftsmanship, but you pay for what you get!

Also, they are very slow to deliver. They've a large backlog of orders at all times, and work slowly through them. Expect three to seven months time between measurement and delivery.

They will take payment plans, though! Which is ideal for people on a budget. Given at least a four month schedule, you could set aside 100$ a month for a simpler corset and be set.

Not ideal for most people, but if you want something that stands apart, they are well-loved-by people who can afford it!

KaT Adams

"His name meant 'Glad Voice,' and once again had meaning."
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.487 seconds