If you ever have to explain what we do when we go "CAMPING"

• Mormigan
  • Thank Yous: 9
01 Aug 2013 17:29 - 01 Aug 2013 17:32 #1 by Mormigan (Mormigan)

Captain of the Phonecian
James Fairweather

OOG: Marty Rossa
Last edit: 01 Aug 2013 17:32 by Mormigan (Mormigan). Reason: can't figure out how to embed videos
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042), Goggs (coryan)
01 Aug 2013 22:14 #2 by Chris McKenzie (cgmckenzie)
Replied by Chris McKenzie (cgmckenzie) on topic If you ever have to explain what we do when we go "CAMPING"
I normally just look the questioner in the eyes and say "I sneak through the woods and shoot at people with a crossbow."

What really sells it is the deadpan delivery and matter of fact manner in which I saw it. They usually don't ask twice...

OOG: Chris
IG: Benjamin Daimler
IG: Grobspit Snaggletooth G.D.S
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elric_Ashby (Elric_Ashby)
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
01 Aug 2013 23:58 #3 by geezer (geezer)
I post that with a bunch of people I "frolic in the woods." To give credit where it is due, Norm came up with the phrase.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Goggs
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 226
02 Aug 2013 00:48 #4 by Goggs (coryan)
Oddly, people don't really question it when I tell them that I "go into the forest and pretend to be English."

- A. C. Goggins
Quartermaster

OOG: Cory W-S
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a Maul."
The following user(s) said Thank You: GJSchaller (GJSchaller), Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix), Dr. Kamei Kunsai (Kamei Lazuli), Sean Moulson (Moulson13), curt pantuso (Nyle M.), Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf), Avalyn Ode (krazyaznxinluv)
02 Aug 2013 08:03 #5 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Replied by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042) on topic If you ever have to explain what we do when we go "CAMPING"
I tell people precisely what I do. I also tell them it is called Knight Realms, that a lot of other really cool people do it too, and then I usually show them some pictures.

Gunnar Gunnarson, Medicine Man
--
OOG: Joe Hines
Former Development Officer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gallion (Gallion), GJSchaller (GJSchaller), Matt D (MattD), Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga (Null507), Croínamara (Jen), Alicia D. (MaidenInSnow), Goggs (coryan)
  • Aella
  • Thank Yous: 99
02 Aug 2013 20:23 #6 by Aella (Onirazael)
Replied by Aella (Onirazael) on topic If you ever have to explain what we do when we go "CAMPING"

Chris McKenzie wrote: I normally just look the questioner in the eyes and say "I sneak through the woods and shoot at people with a crossbow."

I tell people that too! Nothing like having people give a mom plenty of space at the playground :P

Aella
OOG: Ree D
~I'd put a pretentious quote in, but I am far too lazy to pretend I'm clever. ~
05 Aug 2013 15:38 #7 by Dr. Kamei Kunsai (Kamei Lazuli)
Replied by Dr. Kamei Kunsai (Kamei Lazuli) on topic If you ever have to explain what we do when we go "CAMPING"
I am usually just blunt and tell them I am a LARPer, and I explain it's live action roleplay. The most common thing I say, "It's like being in a movie...except you're out in the woods for a weekend, wearing costuming you have made/bought, there is no script and you make your own characters and there are story-tellers who do plot stuff that you follow." and answering questions as they ask them usually helps.
For the more nerd-savvy I tell them it's D&D live action.

[Kamei Kunsai, Vassal and Health Administer of Kaladonia]
[Luminista Petsho-Aeislin]

(oog: Shannon F.)
20 Aug 2013 07:47 #8 by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf)
Replied by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf) on topic If you ever have to explain what we do when we go "CAMPING"
I'm blunt too, and I tell people that I am LARPing. But for people in my age group, the best explanation is that it's the thing from Role Models, except bad-ass.

Kanas Silverfang

OOG: Jeremy Schwartz
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alicia D. (MaidenInSnow)
  • Alicia D.
  • Thank Yous: 48
20 Aug 2013 12:10 #9 by Alicia D. (MaidenInSnow)
Replied by Alicia D. (MaidenInSnow) on topic If you ever have to explain what we do when we go "CAMPING"
Yeah I'm pretty blunt about it too, haha. I usually just go out right and say that I LARP- like in role models only WAY cooler! And then I show them pictures!

IG:
Alicia M. Dura
The Woman in White.
==============
OOG: Raquel Allen
(Rocky)
==============
"Every time it snows, all new designs fall out of the sky. It's a wonder that so much beauty has been wasted. Because when they melt, they are lost...never to be seen again."
  • Valdex Tenebras
  • Let the Chaos reign free and control your thoughts
  • Thank Yous: 10
20 Aug 2013 14:35 #10 by Valdex Tenebras (Valdex Tenebras)
Replied by Valdex Tenebras (Valdex Tenebras) on topic If you ever have to explain what we do when we go "CAMPING"

Alicia D. wrote: Yeah I'm pretty blunt about it too, haha. I usually just go out right and say that I LARP- like in role models only WAY cooler! And then I show them pictures!

that's exactly how I explain it too hahaha

IG: Valdex A. Tenebras, Vassal of Drega'Mire
================
OOG: Cameron Wallace
===================
"Pain, Misery, and Despair. All of these are crucial parts of life. Which will you enjoy the most?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alicia D. (MaidenInSnow)
  • Kleidin
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 152
20 Aug 2013 20:18 #11 by Kleidin (Kleidin)
Replied by Kleidin (Kleidin) on topic If you ever have to explain what we do when we go "CAMPING"
ahem

the term I use is

interactive improvisational theater group

Lady Kleidin du Tenkukai Weaveforger Laurent-Belmont of Kaladonia
Master Witch Hunter, and Elder Druid
OOG: Diane Sodher
The following user(s) said Thank You: Goggs (coryan)
  • Elric_Ashby
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • LORD OF POTATOES
  • Thank Yous: 113
20 Aug 2013 21:02 - 20 Aug 2013 21:03 #12 by Elric_Ashby (Elric_Ashby)
Replied by Elric_Ashby (Elric_Ashby) on topic If you ever have to explain what we do when we go "CAMPING"
I look them in the eye and say "I commit legalized assault"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Father Elric Ashby, Artificer, Priest of Galladel, Master of the Adventurer's guild, Warden of the Phokus.

Dr. Viktor Solvei, Pioneer Surgeon

OOG Benjamin Oakley, New Player Marshal... of doom
Last edit: 20 Aug 2013 21:03 by Elric_Ashby (Elric_Ashby).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aselra Coalbeard (Aselra)
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
20 Aug 2013 22:11 #13 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic If you ever have to explain what we do when we go "CAMPING"
I usually respond with this...

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Mormigan
  • Thank Yous: 9
20 Aug 2013 22:24 #14 by Mormigan (Mormigan)
Replied by Mormigan (Mormigan) on topic If you ever have to explain what we do when we go "CAMPING"
pretty good Paul!

Captain of the Phonecian
James Fairweather

OOG: Marty Rossa
  • Croínamara
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Sock Marshal
  • Thank Yous: 467
21 Aug 2013 17:44 #15 by Croínamara (Jen)
Replied by Croínamara (Jen) on topic If you ever have to explain what we do when we go "CAMPING"
"You ever watch Star Trek? It's kind of like the holodeck. Picard picks a book and gets to be the main character of that book for an afternoon. He gets to play out that world. LARP is the same way. You get to step into a character of your own creation and interact with characters created by players - like yourself - or with characters who are directly part of the story and exist to motivate the plot."

Croínamara Ull Uidhir of Clan Uidhir
Squire to Knight Captain Magnus
Chancellor of the Arts
Sergeant of the Baronial Guard

OOG:
Jen F.
Roleplay Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: GJSchaller (GJSchaller), Annora (Karen)
  • Ali
  • Those Who Hear Not The Music Think The Drummer Mad
  • Thank Yous: 36
23 Aug 2013 16:23 #16 by Ali (Nutmeg)
At the border it's always fun.

Patrol: So what are you doing?
Me: Do you know what larp is?
Patrol: No
Me: Have you seen Rolemodels the movie?
Patrol: No
Me: Ok well I dress up like an elf and run through the woods
Patrol: *Just stares at me* Really?
Me: Yup it's kind of like Dungeons and Dragons in the woods or World of warcraft in the woods
Patrol: *Just stares at me* So You dress up like an elf and play a game in the woods? *Examines (Normally when I drive down) all the guys in the car*
Me: Yup we've got interesting hobbies.
Patrol: So it's like Anime. I get anime. Have a good day miss.

I get a lot of awkward conversations at the border.

IG: Nutmeg, Hobbit and Chef Extraordinaire
OOG: --Ali--
The following user(s) said Thank You: GJSchaller (GJSchaller), curt pantuso (Nyle M.)
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
23 Aug 2013 16:34 #17 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Re:If you ever have to explain what we do when we go "CAMPING"
Offer to hit him a few times with a sword, that'll help!

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
24 Aug 2013 04:27 #18 by Akira Saralonde (katemariexo)
Replied by Akira Saralonde (katemariexo) on topic If you ever have to explain what we do when we go "CAMPING"
I told my job that I went "camping" for my first event but then I realized the people at my job question everything. So when I immediately requested off for the following event, eyebrows were raised.
I reluctantly explained and now they call me "little queen larper" and make jokes about slaying orcs while running to get dishes from the kitchen.

Akira Saralonde
Treasurer of Ostcliff
OOG: Kaitlyn Bober
25 Aug 2013 00:27 #19 by curt pantuso (Nyle M.)
Replied by curt pantuso (Nyle M.) on topic If you ever have to explain what we do when we go "CAMPING"
truly a threat to national security.

IG: Nyle M.

OOG curt pantuso
25 Aug 2013 02:19 #20 by Avalyn Ode (krazyaznxinluv)
Replied by Avalyn Ode (krazyaznxinluv) on topic If you ever have to explain what we do when we go "CAMPING"
It's difficult explaining the once a month 'camping' I do during the weekends... and that's WITH explaining / showing my mother the Knight Realms website. She tells me it's simply okay as long as I'm safe. I reply, "Well, at least I have a foam dagger and I haven't seen any bears yet." My mother stares at me quizzically most times or asks me questions like: "Are you sure you'll be okay?" or "Why would you do this to yourself?" I simply shrug and wonder if she thinks her sweet, proper Chinese daughter is a secret fantasy masochist. I wouldn't put it past her, seeing as everything I do is peculiar to her--like: spending time with friends instead of studying.

Oh, the woes of being an enigma.

"Ode? I don't owed you anything! RIGHT? HAHA." - Blade

"Miss Ode, you're one for mind shooting and what not. Would you by chance be interested in a Magic Trick contest?" - Goggins
----
OOG: Jamie J
  • Croínamara
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Sock Marshal
  • Thank Yous: 467
27 Aug 2013 03:24 - 27 Aug 2013 03:25 #21 by Croínamara (Jen)
Replied by Croínamara (Jen) on topic If you ever have to explain what we do when we go "CAMPING"
it's really silly that descriptions like
"We're going to stand in a square and deck each other in the face until one of us is knocked out"
or
"we;re going to stand in a line and try and smash each other to the ground, that way, no one gets to run around with an egg shaped ball."
or
"i'm going to hit this thing with this metal pole and it's going to go far."
or
"I really enjoy watching cars turn left at 237498234 miles per an hour and end up in the same place as they started"
are all totally acceptable!...

but
"I immerse myself in a story where I get to be a character in a world with armor and a sword and sometimes magic. We use camp grounds for atmosphere and have almost no dangerous physical contact aside from combat safe latex weapons"
is weird, socially off beat, and juvenile.

*claws at face*
WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG
*sings kumbayyyaahhhhh*

Croínamara Ull Uidhir of Clan Uidhir
Squire to Knight Captain Magnus
Chancellor of the Arts
Sergeant of the Baronial Guard

OOG:
Jen F.
Roleplay Marshal
Last edit: 27 Aug 2013 03:25 by Croínamara (Jen).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jade Peverell (Angel M.), Chukklez (Chukklez), Sean Moulson (Moulson13), Orion (Orion.), Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings), Fie! (Triminac), Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.683 seconds