Herb garden

• Chesta
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 134
03 Feb 2014 10:40 #1 by Chesta (Kevin)
Herb garden was created by Chesta (Kevin)
Hey so I know that with the coming spring people like to plant herbs in a garden near the Inn. Now I wanted to just recommend a plant that hopefully we can plant this year called Turmeric. Turmeric is an herb that has been known to have anti cancer properties so I thought it might be cool to grow some. If I am wrong in any way please correct me as I learned this in horticulture class and I thought it would be cool to plant a few of these.

Chesta Hartwick MazoKisei
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
03 Feb 2014 13:37 - 03 Feb 2014 13:38 #2 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Herb garden
The herb grows wild on our property in Jamaica, and is quite tasty. it is easy to propagate, but not so easy in this area.

Although trials are According to the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, "there is little reliable evidence to support the use of turmeric for any health condition because few clinical trials have been conducted."[11]
Although trials are ongoing for the use of turmeric to treat cancer, doses needed for any effect are difficult to establish in humans. It is not known what, if any, positive effect turmeric has against cancer or any disease.[21] As of December 2013, turmeric is being evaluated for its potential efficacy against several human diseases in clinical trials, including kidney and cardiovascular diseases, arthritis, several types of cancer and irritable bowel disease.[22]
Specifically, turmeric is also being investigated in relation to Alzheimer's disease,[23] diabetes,[24] and other clinical disorders.[25][26]
However, according to various basic research studies,[27][28][29][30] administration of curcumin or turmeric can suppress several stages of cancer development in multiple tumor models.[28] One study of curcumin on human cancer cells in vitro used hybrid molecules with the anti-nausea drug thalidomide to induce apoptosis in myeloma cancer cells.[31] Some research shows compounds in turmeric to have anti-fungal and antibacterial properties; however, curcumin is not one of them.[32]

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
Last edit: 03 Feb 2014 13:38 by geezer (geezer).
  • Kleidin
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 152
03 Feb 2014 19:31 #3 by Kleidin (Kleidin)
Replied by Kleidin (Kleidin) on topic Herb garden
It is a root related to ginger

we may be able to grom both of these herbs/spices. I would gladly accept seedlings(bits of the frsh root) to plant come april

Lady Kleidin du Tenkukai Weaveforger Laurent-Belmont of Kaladonia
Master Witch Hunter, and Elder Druid
OOG: Diane Sodher
04 Feb 2014 21:32 #4 by curt pantuso (Nyle M.)
Replied by curt pantuso (Nyle M.) on topic Herb garden
I recommend jerusalem artichokes their easy to care for their healthy they look beautiful and they grow like mad with awesome yields.
however due to this fact we may have to find another planting spot so they don't take over the garden...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_artichoke

IG: Nyle M.

OOG curt pantuso
04 Feb 2014 22:47 #5 by Meander Correlis (SarahBrand)
Replied by Meander Correlis (SarahBrand) on topic Herb garden
Quoted from that wikipedia article, Curt:

Jerusalem artichokes are easy to cultivate, which tempts gardeners to simply leave them completely alone to grow. However, the quality of the edible tubers degrades unless the plants are dug up and replanted in fertile soil. This can be a chore, as even a small piece of tuber will grow if left in the ground, making the hardy plant a potential weed. In fact, the plant can be pernicious. It can ruin gardens by smothering or overshadowing nearby plants and can overtake huge areas if left untamed. Commercial fields growing sunchoke which then change to other vegetables or crops often must be treated with glyphosate to stop the spread of the sunchokes. Each sunchoke root can make an additional 75 to as many as 200 tubers by fall end.

The tubers are sometimes used as a substitute for potatoes:[9] they have a similar consistency, and in their raw form have a similar texture, but a sweeter, nuttier flavor; raw and sliced thinly, they are fit for a salad. The carbohydrates give the tubers a tendency to become soft and mushy if boiled, but they retain their texture better when steamed. The inulin cannot be broken down by the human digestive system,[10] which can cause flatulence and, in some cases, gastric pain.

I don't think growing those on the grounds is that good an idea if 1) They're that pernicious, and 2) The tubers are not necessarily that great for the body. Just my 2 cents, there.

~Meander Correlis, Master Alchemist
Baronial Ambassador to Londwyn
Champion of Homunculi City

(OOG: Sarah Brand)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.446 seconds