"Good Isn't Stupid Or Weak Or Nice."

30 Aug 2014 18:28 #1 by Keith_Stratton (Keith_Stratton)
"Good Isn't Stupid Or Weak Or Nice." was created by Keith_Stratton (Keith_Stratton)
Hi all,

So with all the challenges raised by the recent IG events (Xualla, legal bad-guys, etc.), I wanted to share an essay I just found that I think is excellent. It's written by a Catholic theologian who happens to play Dungeons and Dragons, examining how he thinks a paladin and 'good' characters would act in a world with concrete examples of good and evil. It's a fun read, and I thought you all would like it.

harbingergames.blogspot.com/2014/06/good...or-weak-or-nice.html

Cyric McKraegar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sister Danae (Danae), Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood), Belegchand (mcalo), Eden Heimdell (amalthea), Swyft (agentswift), Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf), Templar Aldric (Selrik), Lucien Belfast (Lucien Belfast)
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
30 Aug 2014 18:31 - 30 Aug 2014 21:07 #2 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic "Good Isn't Stupid Or Weak Or Nice."
Interesting read.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 30 Aug 2014 21:07 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
30 Aug 2014 18:39 #3 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Replied by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042) on topic "Good Isn't Stupid Or Weak Or Nice."
I moved it for you.

Gunnar Gunnarson, Medicine Man
--
OOG: Joe Hines
Former Development Officer
  • Aleister
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 1504
30 Aug 2014 19:07 #4 by Aleister (Aleister)
Replied by Aleister (Aleister) on topic "Good Isn't Stupid Or Weak Or Nice."
I want to echo. This is an incredible read.

Lord Admiral Aleister Demirosz, the Phoenix

-Steve Oros
Assistant Director
30 Aug 2014 19:17 #5 by Keith_Stratton (Keith_Stratton)
Replied by Keith_Stratton (Keith_Stratton) on topic "Good Isn't Stupid Or Weak Or Nice."
Joe: thanks for moving it. I wasn't certain which forum I could put it under.

Cyric McKraegar
30 Aug 2014 21:17 - 30 Aug 2014 21:18 #6 by Lucien Belfast (Lucien Belfast)
Replied by Lucien Belfast (Lucien Belfast) on topic "Good Isn't Stupid Or Weak Or Nice."
Lucien is a good guy.

He'll sacrifice himself for the innocent; He'll kick you right in the balls if it will win the fight.

Seek the truth and walk in the light,
Lucien Belfast
Priest of Valos

Last edit: 30 Aug 2014 21:18 by Lucien Belfast (Lucien Belfast).
  • Narcis
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "For every living person there are generations of dead. Which realm would you rather rule?"
  • Thank Yous: 450
31 Aug 2014 00:49 #7 by Narcis (ChrisR)
Replied by Narcis (ChrisR) on topic "Good Isn't Stupid Or Weak Or Nice."
I approve of this essay. I. Approve. A lot.

OOG:Chris R.
Storyteller / Marshal
31 Aug 2014 01:28 #8 by Templar Aldric (Selrik)
Replied by Templar Aldric (Selrik) on topic "Good Isn't Stupid Or Weak Or Nice."
True story: Aldric is this essay. ;)

Paladins were always my favorite D&D class. Valosian Cleric is the closest I could get to it.

Templar Aldric
Champion Fisherman of Amanthyre
Prophet of the Holy Light
Templar of Valos

"The sacred writings are quite specific on the subject of killing, but are a bit fuzzier on the topic of kneecaps."

OOG - David McCormick.
31 Aug 2014 09:03 #9 by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta)
Replied by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta) on topic "Good Isn't Stupid Or Weak Or Nice."
Good read. Nothing new for me though. I've always thought this way. We have the saying good isnt stupid at our table. We also have lawful good gods that nudge PCs whenthey are confused and missing something important. Those same gods have a senseof humor. Why shouldnt they?

In the case of KR why wouldn't the Gods trapped on the world come visit Travance? I think it woud be an aweso e opportunity and they could come from an unusual way or source. The small sheets finding or talking to them...imagine a low level person meeting Valos who rescues them from an evil thing then asks for help to find X. Come with me little one...

Coolness is goodness...

His medieval image of the angel is not medieval though... Its a modern card for an archangel,ade imthink in the 1930s

Birgitta Drexel (Primary)
Commander of Training Baronial Militia
Blood Spirits (Cmd/Sgt)
Blue Dragoon

"Amateurs Practice Until They Get It Right; Professionals Practice Until They Can’t Get It Wrong"

Callisto Boyington (Alt)
Cav.

AKA Leslie McCormack
31 Aug 2014 10:45 #10 by Winks Sharpthorn (Winks)
Replied by Winks Sharpthorn (Winks) on topic "Good Isn't Stupid Or Weak Or Nice."
This is why I was so glad when D&D3.5 put out the Book of Exalted Deeds. After the Book of Vile Darkness, yes, people were all "this is awesome and badass", but then Exalted Deeds came in and showed stuff that was even MORE badass. Not just the character options (which admittedly a lot of it was pretty broken ie. Vow of Poverty), but the good-aligned planar exemplars were mostly more powerful than their evil counterparts AND their background descriptions presented ideals for good PCs to use as examples and live up to.

In Service to Travance
Ser Winks Sharpthorn, The Resolute
Knight of Drega'Mire
Soul-Blade of Galladel

Alt: William Sterling
Chief Mechanic of the Kormyrian Sky Flotilla
Lead Engineer of the Travancian Railroad

OOG: Walter Soto
Marshal
Cannon Marshal
  • Swyft
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.
  • Thank Yous: 339
31 Aug 2014 13:21 #11 by Swyft (agentswift)
Replied by Swyft (agentswift) on topic "Good Isn't Stupid Or Weak Or Nice."
Thank-you for posting this!

Dame Swyft T. Glitterfang-Johnson-Ludwig
-Knight of Corvancia
- Carnifex of Aguara
- Designer of Stonefall Couture: "Because you're never too bad to look good!"

(OOG: Renée Day)
  • Jack
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Pi is exactly 3
  • Thank Yous: 308
31 Aug 2014 13:41 #12 by Jack (Keeperofdice)
Replied by Jack (Keeperofdice) on topic "Good Isn't Stupid Or Weak Or Nice."
I loved it! It really gets the point across that you don't have to be a nice person in order to be a good person.

Ser Jack Siefer
Knight Of Drega'Mire
Head of Research & Development of Kormyre
Sky Marshal
Captain of the K.A.S. Tarrasque

OOG: Gus M.

“Men learn from their failures. I prefer to learn from the failures of others..”
"Sometimes what the world doesn't need is a hero. Sometimes what it needs is a monster."
31 Aug 2014 14:03 #13 by Templar Aldric (Selrik)
Replied by Templar Aldric (Selrik) on topic "Good Isn't Stupid Or Weak Or Nice."
Its interesting also to note Angels were not described as humanoid by and large. They were often unnatural, supernatural beings that were described with closest real world comparisons, multiple wings, hundreds of eyes ect. Sometimes head of a Lion, or Eagle, ect. very reminiscent of the forms of Egyptian supernatural beings, which in some cases were contemporary.

That being said, the moral I take from the article doesn't mean that Good doesn't have to be nice. I think someone trying to be Good should always try to treat others fairly and with respect. However, a Good character can be every bit as complex and flawed as an Evil character. Being 'Evil' I find is a crutch sometimes, as being vaguely evil is easy as long as you don't commit to it fully. Evil characters committed to being evil, should be going out of their way to create havoc, strife and are going to find it very hard for their 'evil' to go unnoticed. Similarly being Good is hard as to commit to it requires alot of effort in holding to a standard of behavior that forces you to engage in being Good, just as a committed Evil character does. Anyone not committed to their morality is just playing easy mode. These are the guys in your D&D campaign that ask how many plusses does the weapon have, or stack implausible equipment bonuses to gain a mathematical advantage in the system. Power gamers are a plague everywhere.

Templar Aldric
Champion Fisherman of Amanthyre
Prophet of the Holy Light
Templar of Valos

"The sacred writings are quite specific on the subject of killing, but are a bit fuzzier on the topic of kneecaps."

OOG - David McCormick.
31 Aug 2014 16:46 #14 by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933)
Replied by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933) on topic "Good Isn't Stupid Or Weak Or Nice."
Lets not forget that good doesn't also always mean "refined" or "civilized". I, for example, play a very rough around the edges PC. He would be classified as a "good" PC, despite being one of the unwashed masses, but is lacking in some of the easygoing camaraderie that most would take for granted- not surprising for a professional warrior. loyal as a guard dog, ferocious in battle, but would not know what fork to use in a formal setting.

This also goes in real life as well. I know many "rough" individuals from my days on active duty (sorry, the title "Marine" is not one you put down-ever), who may offend one's sensibilities from time to time, but would always have your back, no matter what-be it a 2 AM call to pick up squad mates at the bar, or fighting like hell to get you to a Corpsman. To me, that is what defines good. so, when playing, do not forget this- the roughest individuals sometimes are the ones who may exemplify the concept of good the best.

Donald MacFhionnlaigh
OOG: Sean Farquharson "Jarhead"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Argyle Del Dragon (AngryCelt)
  • Kuo Kun
  • Thank Yous: 34
31 Aug 2014 16:48 - 31 Aug 2014 16:50 #15 by Kuo Kun (Kuo Kun)
Replied by Kuo Kun (Kuo Kun) on topic "Good Isn't Stupid Or Weak Or Nice."
It's not so much that good is considered wussy or not bad-ass enough, I think. It's also that a lot of what people can do and call "good" is not - at least not from the perspective of a player.

Like killing all orcs, for example. They're all evil, so killing them must be good. I think it's probably more complicated than that.

Being strong can be a way to be tempted to evil actions, because you may be strong enough to hide mistakes. Being "nice" is not the same as holding no standards; similarly being tolerant.
Last edit: 31 Aug 2014 16:50 by Kuo Kun (Kuo Kun).
  • Grimkjell Eirson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "You! Small man! Hold my furs while I kill this."
  • Thank Yous: 500
31 Aug 2014 17:55 #16 by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings)
Replied by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings) on topic "Good Isn't Stupid Or Weak Or Nice."
Just as a note, we've had the embodiments of the light gods show up recently. Grim almost arrested Gaia, it was great.

IG: Sir Grimkjell Eirson
Knight of Pendarvin
Guardian of Mercy

OOG: William Hannings
Land system Marshal
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.629 seconds