How long would it take to walk to [Place]?

• Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
22 Apr 2016 13:51 #1 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
How long would it take to walk to [Place]? was created by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Say you wanted to walk from Travance Proper to AmonZad. About how long would that take on foot, on horseback, on a ship, or in a caravan?

Also, is there a handy guide for figuring out similar trips?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Don-Clad (Door-Mat), Mantel (sigma-j), Ergos (arieslink)
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
22 Apr 2016 14:36 - 22 Apr 2016 14:37 #2 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic How long would it take to walk to [Place]?
The map of the continent has a scale for foot and horseback.

www.knightrealms.com/in-game/maps-of-the...of-arawyn-11198.html

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 22 Apr 2016 14:37 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Don-Clad (Door-Mat), Mantel (sigma-j), Ergos (arieslink)
22 Apr 2016 15:09 #3 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Replied by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042) on topic How long would it take to walk to [Place]?
Answer -- a long time.

Gunnar Gunnarson, Medicine Man
--
OOG: Joe Hines
Former Development Officer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ergos (arieslink)
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • No matter where I go. It all traces back to the Mountain.
  • Thank Yous: 226
22 Apr 2016 16:48 #4 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Replied by Mantel (sigma-j) on topic How long would it take to walk to [Place]?
Thankfully not as long as we expected. Thank you both for your answers!

Mantel Warrane (AWz., QMA; AM, WSS)
Grand Librarian Emeritus, Darkwood Academy of the Metaphysical Arts
Professor Emeritus of Weave Studies, Darkwood Academy
Warden of the Keep, Allied Territory of Corvancia

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
22 Apr 2016 17:53 - 22 Apr 2016 17:59 #5 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Replied by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042) on topic How long would it take to walk to [Place]?
How long did you figure? I got 12 weeks walking.... Assuming you had ample supplies and didn't run into any demons or other bad guys.

which would be roughly 5 weeks on horseback -- this is assuming a straight line, which you do not have.

--
Last edit: 22 Apr 2016 17:59 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042).
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
22 Apr 2016 18:09 - 22 Apr 2016 18:48 #6 by Mantel (sigma-j)
That seems a little high, and we took the longer way following the Coast.

We calculated for horseback and turned up with ~4 weeks to Amon'Zod.

This was based on the fact that you can get to the Rift in under a day from Proper (as demonstrated in many many events), it takes 7 days to cross the Rift, and then we're right there in Bliriton where we can purchase horses. From there, it was about 7 days on horseback to Bordertown. Then we went southwest to Fort Riverland (7.82 days), rode a river barge to Lieghyre (Resting our horses and travelling roughly the same speed when accounting for the fact that we can sleep while it drifts for a total of 5 days), and rode the rest of the way to Selim Port on horseback (1.72 days). Add half a day for each river we'll cross (1 day) and that translates to 29.54 days.

An addendum to the original question, How fast do Xirone traverse the Dunes of Amon'Zod? I made estimates based on the per-day speed of camels (about half that of horses), which ended up being about 2.82 weeks from Selim Port to Tarpier, and from Tarpier to literally anywhere else.

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
Last edit: 22 Apr 2016 18:48 by Mantel (sigma-j). Reason: Incorrect math... again!
22 Apr 2016 23:02 #7 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
I took the number of pixels on the map for the width of the scale (30 pixels)

Then I calculated the number of pixels on a direct diagonal from the rift to the start of AmonZod region (aiming at the 'n' at the end of Ja'Hagon on the map gets me 271 pixels on the direct diagonal, thank you Mr. Pythagoras)

Then math -- 271 / 30 = 9 units of the distance scale. 9 units = 9 weeks walking or 27 days by horse.

((I think before I must have measured farther in on the map))

Add in the 7 days for crossing the rift and the 1 day for getting to it and you are at 35 days by horse.

This is of course assuming everything goes correctly and you have all of the supplies and horses you need and you never run into any demons or pirates or brigands or broken bridges.

--
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
23 Apr 2016 23:16 - 23 Apr 2016 23:17 #8 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Still not sure how we're getting a lower number, especially since we used a longer route, but I'll defer to this ruling. If we calculated for as the crow flies, as you did, I could attribute it to the fact that we used 33 pixels instead of 30 as our scale, but we didn't go as the crow flies, so I have no idea what's going on here. We kind of need to know by our route, since IC, we're avoiding the Chaos Wastes and would need to resupply every so often in the various towns on the way.

I'll mess with it again and post when I get another estimate. I'll use your 30 pixel ruling.

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

Last edit: 23 Apr 2016 23:17 by Mantel (sigma-j). Reason: forgot to include something
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
24 Apr 2016 00:56 #9 by Mantel (sigma-j)
I have no idea what we're doing differently, I just did the same thing you described and got ~30 days.

Either way, there'll still be a bunch of days thrown in for good measure for mods and such, so as long as we're over 30 days, I don't think anyone will have a problem. Thank you for the rigorous answers, Joe!

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

24 Apr 2016 07:41 #10 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Don't forget, that is a one way trip. Double your time if you want to return and then add as much time as you would like to stay there to accomplish your task.

Basically though it should be very rare that people travel to distant locations to accomplish things.

--
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.497 seconds