New and dont know where to start...

• Jeo Martz
  • Thank Yous: 5
29 Apr 2016 01:50 #1 by Jeo Martz (MaliceTrinn)
New and dont know where to start... was created by Jeo Martz (MaliceTrinn)
Hello everyone, me again with a bunch of annoying questions lol. Let me start by saying that iv been trying to come up with a character concept for two months now and im still clueless. So im desperate for any help or pointers anyone could give me :).
I was really hoping to make it to the may 6th event but its looking grim. Originally i was going to NPC for the event so i could get to know people and get an idea of some of the characters i wanted to play. But then i realized that the likely-hood of me playing a character i wanted for NPC was highly unlikely and i was basically at the whim of the monster marshal on duty.. So i was going to pc instead as an easier to role play character. Then make a permanent character for the WiTL Event. So due to current circumstances i was thinking about just jumping into it full swing and playing the race i want!
I really want to play a dryad or a sylph, but those seem like the most strict to play.... Could i just say F it and start of as a sylph or dryad? Like are people nice, can i just take pointers, and change my costume and the way i play my character as i go. Or will people hate me for it...

Im just gunnuh pause there before i fill the page with unnecessary questions. Don't worry more questions to come lol...

Malice Trinn( Jeo Martz)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Argyle Del Dragon (AngryCelt), Ergos (arieslink)
  • Dennis Brand
  • Treason or revolution? That depends on the victor.
  • Thank Yous: 72
29 Apr 2016 02:03 - 29 Apr 2016 02:05 #2 by Dennis Brand (Devin)
Replied by Dennis Brand (Devin) on topic New and dont know where to start...

Jeo Martz wrote: I really want to play a dryad or a sylph, but those seem like the most strict to play.... Could i just say F it and start of as a sylph or dryad? Like are people nice, can i just take pointers, and change my costume and the way i play my character as i go. Or will people hate me for it...

Yes, you can start as a sylph or a dryad. Just have to follow the costuming requirements.
People are very nice, and you can change your costuming and character as much as you like as long as you don't change the race or skills, and still meet all racial costuming requirements (e.g. Long pointed ears and glittery swirls as a Sylph). The exception to this is your first 3 events, after each one you can change anything and everything about your character (except for the character name, I believe).

Jeo Martz wrote: just gunnuh pause there before i fill the page with unnecessary questions. Don't worry more questions to come lol...

Ask as many questions as you'd like.

Also, if you haven't already, post an small introduction on the New Players part of the forum. The New Player Marshals really like that.

- Devin

ig: Dennis Brand | oog: Devin G., marshal
Last edit: 29 Apr 2016 02:05 by Dennis Brand (Devin).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Jeo Martz (MaliceTrinn), Ergos (arieslink)
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
29 Apr 2016 02:10 - 29 Apr 2016 02:11 #3 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic New and dont know where to start...
Hey. Conor here. New Player Marshal.

You can absolutely start as a sylph or Dryad as your first character.

Players, that I've found anyway, are friendly and willing to give pointers to newer players.

A character evolves as it lives, just like people. As long as you still play the basic RP requirements of your race(which to not play those takes a lot) you'll be fine.

Same with clothing. No one will get mad at you for a costume change. We've all done it.

Just my 2 cents.

Hope this helped,

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 29 Apr 2016 02:11 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeo Martz (MaliceTrinn), Mantel (sigma-j), Ergos (arieslink)
  • Jeo Martz
29 Apr 2016 02:27 - 29 Apr 2016 02:29 #4 by Jeo Martz (MaliceTrinn)
Replied by Jeo Martz (MaliceTrinn) on topic New and dont know where to start...
Thank you both, im very glad to hear that! Now if i were to start as a dryad, one of racial traits are that they hate civilization and developed lands. So obviously i would have to make some kind of back ground story to give me reason to even leave my home forest and come to travance. Like my home is being destroyed and im looking for trust worthy heroes to help or something like that. But in the rule book it says you cant act on or roleplay anything involving your character history until its approved by staff. Would that leave me stuck dancing around the edge of town, and through the woods, until some battle or something chased me into town my first event or two till my history is approved? Do alot of people travel the woods at least then? lol. And in attitude they're a lot like large pixies without wings if im not mistaking? Im assuming in dress a little also? Do alot of people play non human races? When i first visited a longgggg long long time ago. Sylphs were still capped and so were dryads and a bunch of other things, so there was only elves and humans really. Theirs no special language or accent that dryads or sylphs have, or any special IG things i should know to be that specific race?

Malice Trinn( Jeo Martz)
Last edit: 29 Apr 2016 02:29 by Jeo Martz (MaliceTrinn).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ergos (arieslink)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
29 Apr 2016 05:03 #5 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic New and dont know where to start...
Hi, Jeo! I'm Jeff, another New Player Marshal.

You really only have to worry about your character's background if they're a person of note or someone extraordinary, like if they're royalty or somesuch. Plenty of people do travel the woods, though.

You are correct. The females at least do not have wings, for the most part. Here is the Rulebook's write-up on Sylphs, for the sake of easy referencing

Sylph males are cold and despondent, having been twisted by the horrible acts they were forced to commit. They are not inherently evil, but there is a darkness that they solemnly covet as a remembrance of their sins. The hearts of female Sylph have proven to heal faster, and they are slightly more friendly and sociable than their male counterparts.

Sylphs are intensely curious, but typically naïve about the workings of the civilized world. They will almost always want to participate in any civilized activity that they see others performing, but seldom possess a true understanding of the purpose or method of such activities.

Costuming And Makeup

Upon renouncing their immortality, the majority of Sylphs lost their wings, their minuscule fairy forms, and their timeless lives. Therefore Sylph males do not have wings, yet some few females have managed to retain theirs. All Sylphs have long pointy ears (longer than the average elf), and glittery markings and scroll like designs on all of their exposed skin. Males have black glittering markings, while Females have either, Red, Blue, or Yellow. (Wings, ear tip prosthetic and glitter markings must all be pre-approved by the director before playing).

Though the majority of players play human races, there are a decent amount who play non-human races.

There isn't a special language or accent for sylphs or dryads, but there are some cultural aspects of both that are perhaps best learned when playing the game.

Also Devin is right. If you post in the New Player forums, more relevant people and players will see the topic. As well, there is the Rules Forums, which doubles as a forum for asking Roleplay-related questions, which you've asked here.

We'll be around if you need us.

-Jeff

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j), Ergos (arieslink)
  • Cara Easton
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I do not fear the dark. Only then can you see the stars.
  • Thank Yous: 324
29 Apr 2016 08:00 #6 by Cara Easton (Raeelle)
Replied by Cara Easton (Raeelle) on topic New and dont know where to start...
My costume has changed slightly every single game (there's something new or different about it every game, changed based on what's going on with my character), and people either haven't noticed or have been super complimentary on that evolution of costume. Basically, have fun with it. People change clothes IRL, and sometimes it's super fun to figure out why a character dresses the way they do (I have a story behind 90% of the pieces in my costume :) ) it adds to the realism of a character

Alt : Laurel Astraeus

OOG: Rae L
Marshal
Card Staff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Jeo Martz (MaliceTrinn), Mantel (sigma-j), Ergos (arieslink)
29 Apr 2016 08:06 #7 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Replied by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042) on topic New and dont know where to start...
My costume also changes nearly every event as it evolves in small ways.

But here is the thing. We are playing a game that involves suspension of disbelief. Everyone knows that new players are still trying to figure it out. We've all been new before. So no, nobody will treat you harshly for not being in your perfect final form at your first event. Everyone will adjust to your changes.

Have fun with it. Don't stress over it. Enjoy it.

Gunnar Gunnarson, Medicine Man
--
OOG: Joe Hines
Former Development Officer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Jeo Martz (MaliceTrinn), Mantel (sigma-j), Ergos (arieslink)
  • Ergos
  • Thank Yous: 88
29 Apr 2016 08:13 #8 by Ergos (arieslink)
Replied by Ergos (arieslink) on topic New and dont know where to start...
At the end of the day, it's an awesome game with an awesome community. There's no need at all to stress over it, just have fun. Go with your gut feeling on your costume and such, because if you hate it, you can fix it. Nobody's going to treat you poorly because you're a new player or because your costume isn't "period enough" or whatever; if anything, people will come up to you and offer you help and try to be your friend. Really not an issue at all if you don't have the perfect character for you or the perfect costume for your character right when you start off. My advice is to dive in head-first with whatever you have ready and proceed to have a blast with all of the wonderful players at KR. If you need assistance, talk to one of our new player marshals, it's their job to help people get started (and I'm pretty sure they feel kinda special since they get to help out). If you need assistance AND puns, talk to Jeff Balla, because those are the two things that he lives for.

[Card Marshal]
[OOG: Adam Grimes]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Jeo Martz (MaliceTrinn), Mantel (sigma-j)
29 Apr 2016 08:30 - 29 Apr 2016 09:35 #9 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic New and dont know where to start...
My wife and I showed up our first session and she played a Dryad right out of the gate. Don't be scared to do so. There are quite a few dryads, and while each complies with the rules and requirements, each is very different. The names of these past and present won't mean anything to you, but just off the bat Aella, Willow, Midori, Aimee, and Clove couldn't be more different.

I'm sure if you post for "Dryad help" or "Sylph help" some of our players who have played them, and ALL of our New Player marshals will jump on board.

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
Last edit: 29 Apr 2016 09:35 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor).
  • Jeo Martz
29 Apr 2016 13:23 #10 by Jeo Martz (MaliceTrinn)
Replied by Jeo Martz (MaliceTrinn) on topic New and dont know where to start...
Thank you all again so much! Yous all make me so much more confident in playing a dryad! I cant wait to meet everyone at my first event! I think im going to listen to jeff and jason and finish my questions in another section.

Thank you all again for being so nice!

Malice Trinn( Jeo Martz)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • No matter where I go. It all traces back to the Mountain.
  • Thank Yous: 226
29 Apr 2016 17:24 #11 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Replied by Mantel (sigma-j) on topic New and dont know where to start...

Dennis Brand wrote: The exception to this is your first 3 events, after each one you can change anything and everything about your character (except for the character name, I believe).

Is this true? Can you not change the character's name with a rewrite? Because I was allowed to do so. I just want to make sure I'm not breaking anything.

Mantel Warrane (AWz., QMA; AM, WSS)
Grand Librarian Emeritus, Darkwood Academy of the Metaphysical Arts
Professor Emeritus of Weave Studies, Darkwood Academy
Warden of the Keep, Allied Territory of Corvancia

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
  • Amilia Tolunda
  • Artist, Writer, Gamer
  • Thank Yous: 97
29 Apr 2016 20:54 #12 by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi)
Replied by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi) on topic New and dont know where to start...
We LOVE Dryads! Dryad happens to be my first alt. Like Caldor mentioned, every one of us is distinctly different. Given that I'm very familiar with two dryads (aside from myself) One of which has blue hair and green-brown makeup with ranger clothes, I have brown hair and green fawn makeup (and antler) with flowy green-brown clothes, and the last has brown hair, pink cherry-blossom makeup with traditional khitan clothing!

If you have any dryady questions, while I don't consider myself an expert (or even a novice) I love to give tips to anyone who asks, and I can show you my (brief) yearly evolution of Aimee. She literally changes with the seasons.

Oh, and never worry about costuming first game. I came in full garb because of 5 years of Renaissance Faires. And even then, my Romani has changed EVERY piece of garb, save for boots and belt.

Just...don't expect the makeup to EVER wash out. Ever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Amilia Tolunda - Romani - Healer
Aimee "Whisper" Whisperleaf - Dryad - Druid - Bard
Maive Lusterwryn - Londwyn - Alchemist

OOG: Julie Anne B
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
30 Apr 2016 20:55 #13 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic New and dont know where to start...
Yes, anything about your character can change in your first three events, including name.

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.569 seconds