Obligatory "wear your bug spray and sunscreen" post

01 May 2016 15:10 - 01 May 2016 16:30 #1 by Ketryn Shiverthorn (Ketryn)
Obligatory "wear your bug spray and sunscreen" post was created by Ketryn Shiverthorn (Ketryn)
It's getting to be that time of year. The time of warm sunny days and lush forestation.

But...I saw too many of you with sunburns last event! D: Wear your goshdurnned sunscreen and bugspray, kids! Don't forget to pack it! Bathe in it every 4 hours! Just because it's cloudy out doesn't mean that you can skip the sunscreen because UVA rays are darned sneaky little buggers that like to squeeze through just to attack you. Have fun, slay some monsters and don't let those pesky little sun rays or mosquitoes bite ya!

Huntress Ketryn Shiverthorn
Private of the Baronial Guard

OOG- Kat B.
Last edit: 01 May 2016 16:30 by Ketryn Shiverthorn (Ketryn).
The following user(s) said Thank You: GJSchaller (GJSchaller), Kleidin (Kleidin), Andy (Andy), Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Wili (), Mantel (sigma-j), DennisS (DRSNova), Alene Elbourne (Alene), Reyna Del Dragon (reynadeldragon)
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
01 May 2016 17:57 #2 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Obligatory "wear your bug spray and sunscreen" post
As the recipient of the sun's ... blessing last event, I cannot stress this enough.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tobias (Tobias), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Amilia Tolunda
  • Artist, Writer, Gamer
  • Thank Yous: 97
01 May 2016 19:36 #3 by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi)
Replied by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi) on topic Obligatory "wear your bug spray and sunscreen" post
Yes, for the love of all that's good and right please do. Even if you play heavy-makeup characters, you can burn through that stuff if it's water based. When you re hydrate on NPC, take the time to step outside and rub/spray more lotion on, your skin will appreciate it.

There is/was a player who made stick lotions that acted as bug repellents. If she's still around, it works crazy well. There are also organic/natural options for bug repellents now a days. And as always (because I heard a LOT of this last month):

Please please PLEASE do TICK CHECKS. I know we don't want to think about it, but quite a few players found ticks of all sizes on their persons. Lets avoid anyone getting sick, the deer population is way way up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Amilia Tolunda - Romani - Healer
Aimee "Whisper" Whisperleaf - Dryad - Druid - Bard
Maive Lusterwryn - Londwyn - Alchemist

OOG: Julie Anne B
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • No matter where I go. It all traces back to the Mountain.
  • Thank Yous: 226
02 May 2016 00:00 - 02 May 2016 00:01 #4 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Replied by Mantel (sigma-j) on topic Obligatory "wear your bug spray and sunscreen" post
And if someone offers you sunscreen, that's usually a subtle hint that you need to apply sunscreen!

Don't be bashful. Don't be stubborn and humble. Don't be me! I got burned pretty mildly last event, but it may have been worse (had I not slept in on Sunday.) I should have taken the hint!

Mantel Warrane (AWz., QMA; AM, WSS)
Grand Librarian Emeritus, Darkwood Academy of the Metaphysical Arts
Professor Emeritus of Weave Studies, Darkwood Academy
Warden of the Keep, Allied Territory of Corvancia

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
Last edit: 02 May 2016 00:01 by Mantel (sigma-j). Reason: finishing a thought
  • Arden
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • The ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of time.
  • Thank Yous: 163
02 May 2016 00:13 #5 by Arden (Shelby)
Replied by Arden (Shelby) on topic Obligatory "wear your bug spray and sunscreen" post
I already got noshed by a tick at camp and am undergoing preemptive lyme treatment.

Wear your bug spray, kiddos, they're out early.

OOG: Shelby M Briar [She/They]
02 May 2016 00:57 #6 by Argyle Del Dragon (AngryCelt)
Replied by Argyle Del Dragon (AngryCelt) on topic Obligatory "wear your bug spray and sunscreen" post
I'll pack some extra, and thank you for the post.

Deer population is way up huh? I'll help that this Fall!

Del Dragon, Argyle
(OOC: Forest Dougan)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eden Heimdell (amalthea), Alia D'Font (DatStephy)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
02 May 2016 02:13 #7 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Obligatory "wear your bug spray and sunscreen" post
Obligatory "Thank you, Kat!" comment.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ketryn Shiverthorn (Ketryn), Mantel (sigma-j), Ergos (arieslink)
02 May 2016 06:27 #8 by Brunner Von Ritter (Martin Bridge)
Replied by Brunner Von Ritter (Martin Bridge) on topic Obligatory "wear your bug spray and sunscreen" post
As a tick vic two years ago WITL, please do tick checks, and insect repellent on you :) And as an Australian, Slip on a shirt, slop on Sunblock and Slap on a hat. Your body will appreciate it.

OOC Name - Martin Bridge
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
  • DennisS
  • Thank Yous: 26
02 May 2016 10:20 #9 by DennisS (DRSNova)
Replied by DennisS (DRSNova) on topic Obligatory "wear your bug spray and sunscreen" post
Note to self: Put sunscreen in nice container, bring to game, find suitable hat for ranger.

Also, glad you mentioned the ticks. I'm used to them being not much of an issue (the map shows your area is a high risk area for lyme borrelliosis), but I will wear long pants and sleeves and closed shoes anyway.

Dennis S.
02 May 2016 13:48 #10 by Eden Heimdell (amalthea)
Replied by Eden Heimdell (amalthea) on topic Obligatory "wear your bug spray and sunscreen" post
The hoods I wear aren't just because I'm a paladin acolyte- they keep the evil daystar off my scalp! I can't recommend good head wear enough. Sunscreen is essential, but most of us don't want it in our hair :P If you can stand the heat, but burn really quickly, you might want to check out SPF-rated clothing like I do. If you dress in long, loose clothing, it adds a protective barrier between you and nature.

Eden Heimdell
Vassal of Albriar

OOG Lauren F.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j)
02 May 2016 14:37 #11 by Sergei Petsho (Bran MacInnes)
Replied by Sergei Petsho (Bran MacInnes) on topic Obligatory "wear your bug spray and sunscreen" post
Shameless plug here! Renee Grace/Maeve makes soaps and sells them at Market Faire. You may have seen her. She does an anti-bug/anti-tick soap that I've used to great effect. You can even use it for more than just showering. Just get it damp and rub it onto your skin. It absorbs right into the skin and works like a charm! Get thee some.

"What do you take me for? Some kind of big damn hero?"
Sergei Petsho, Voivode and Steward of Inovar, Owner and Masseur Extraordinaire of Magic Hands Massage.

"What, it's for my research, I swear!"
Nigel Whitworth, Gentleman Apothecary

"Here, kid, suck on this and shut up for a while."
Aengus MacAengus Hesperus, Professional Old Person

OOG: Chris Zipeto
Storyteller
The following user(s) said Thank You: Meander Correlis (SarahBrand), Ketryn Shiverthorn (Ketryn), Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi), Mantel (sigma-j)
02 May 2016 17:05 #12 by Ketryn Shiverthorn (Ketryn)
Replied by Ketryn Shiverthorn (Ketryn) on topic Obligatory "wear your bug spray and sunscreen" post
Also, not to cause undue alarm but I just checked the CDC map and the camp is projected to fall within the range of mosquitoes that could potentially transmit Zika Virus this year.

This is absolutely no reason to stay home but it does mean you should be extra cautious and definitely wear the bug spray every time you're outdoors at dusk whether LARPing or not. Consider ordering a little mosquito net to sleep in if camping in a tent. Be extra vigilant about it this year, friends <3

I look forward to seeing you all soon and smelling heavily of lemon eucalyptus and DEET.

www.cdc.gov/zika/vector/range.html

OOG- Kat B.
  • Wili
  • Thank Yous: 206
06 May 2016 13:13 #13 by Wili ()
Replied by Wili () on topic Obligatory "wear your bug spray and sunscreen" post
So as someone who has never had to worry about ticks before (yay dry forest), what the heck am I looking for? Are they huge? Little? Black? Flesh colored? Do I have to check in my hair, too? If I find some, WHAT DO I DO!?!?!? Do I yank them off? What if their little teeth get stuck in there?

Wilindé Aläciel
AKA Wili
Blackbird Manager Extraordinaire

OOG-Kelley Commeford
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
06 May 2016 14:18 - 06 May 2016 14:20 #14 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Obligatory "wear your bug spray and sunscreen" post
Ticks on the camp are usually black or brown, have 8 legs, are (roughly [usually]) teardrop shaped, and can be as wide as a millimeter(this is the smallest I've seen. Doesn't mean they can't be smaller.) they aren't larger than your pinkie finger nail.

You should check everywhere(including your hair) especially warm areas(armpit, groin, etc.)

If you find one don't panic. If it hasn't bitten yet, take it off and kill it. If it bit you, Find someone who knows how to remove them safely. Afterwards go to a doctor for a follow up to see if it carried Lyme. (DONT PANIC) The doctor will prescribe medication to take care of it. Lyme is treatable if caught early(which it would be if you go straight to a doctor.)

The biggest thing to take away is DONT PANIC and STAY CALM. I've been bitten from Boy Scout camping before and it is nothing to worry about if you take care of it as soon as you can.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 06 May 2016 14:20 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt D (MattD), Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j), Cara Easton (Raeelle)
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
28 May 2016 11:24 #15 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Obligatory "wear your bug spray and sunscreen" post
Le BUMP for Week in the Life!

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ketryn Shiverthorn (Ketryn), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Angeliana
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • "Followers of Andorra believe foremost in the power of redemption, and that far better than a slain or imprisoned foe is a foe that turns from the path of evil and becomes good."
  • Thank Yous: 364
28 May 2016 13:28 #16 by Angeliana (Angeliana)
Replied by Angeliana (Angeliana) on topic Obligatory "wear your bug spray and sunscreen" post
If anyone forgets to bring, or doesn't like the store bought stuff, I will have "Don't bug me" all natural spray and (if you prefer) roll-on bug repellent at marketfaire for sale. They have the following essential oils: Lavender, Tea Tree, Peppermint, Eucalyptus and Lemon to keep away all the creepy crawlies.

Dame Angeliana Himmlisch
The Heart of Winterdark
Healer of Count Sebastien Everest
High Priestess & Champion of Andorra

Alt: D ~ Artist ~ Captain of The Crimson Trident ~
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
28 May 2016 17:13 #17 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Obligatory "wear your bug spray and sunscreen" post
I'll be bringing a bottle of spray-on sunscreen and probably keeping it in the barracks. Come bug your (other) friendly neighborhood ginger if you find yourself without.

• Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
28 May 2016 17:19 #18 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Replied by Mantel (sigma-j) on topic Obligatory "wear your bug spray and sunscreen" post
went without bug spray
went without sunscreen

was fine at event

WAS DECIDEDLY NOT FINE FOR REST OF WEEK.

Wear it! Respect it! Reapply it! Worship it!

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
The following user(s) said Thank You: Argyle Del Dragon (AngryCelt), Ergos (arieslink)
  • Onca
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 202
30 May 2016 00:50 #19 by Onca (Lorelai)
Replied by Onca (Lorelai) on topic Obligatory "wear your bug spray and sunscreen" post

~ Lorelai Sihnon VonRitter
Huntress of Galladel
Head of House VonRitter of the Witch Hunter Academy

OOG:
Rachel Jump/Onca
(New Player Marshal)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Ketryn Shiverthorn (Ketryn), Mantel (sigma-j)
30 May 2016 09:51 #20 by Ketryn Shiverthorn (Ketryn)
Replied by Ketryn Shiverthorn (Ketryn) on topic Obligatory "wear your bug spray and sunscreen" post
Worried about Vampires waking you up in your sleep? I have the prefect defense to recommend

OOG- Kat B.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Onca (Lorelai), Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Onca
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 202
30 May 2016 10:02 #21 by Onca (Lorelai)
Replied by Onca (Lorelai) on topic Obligatory "wear your bug spray and sunscreen" post

Ketryn Shiverthorn wrote: Worried about Vampires waking you up in your sleep? [/url]to recommend

I mean, I'd be worried for them? :D

However, that is super awesome!

~ Lorelai Sihnon VonRitter
Huntress of Galladel
Head of House VonRitter of the Witch Hunter Academy

OOG:
Rachel Jump/Onca
(New Player Marshal)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Belketra Folles (pleasantexample), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
22 Jun 2016 17:16 #22 by Mantel (sigma-j)
STILL RELEVANT.

It's going to be in the 80s! Wear sunscreen! Wear bug spray! Heil Hydrate!

Get some shade! Take a dip! Stay cool!

Have fun! #whowillyoube? #notalobster

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

20 Jul 2016 23:27 #23 by Alene Elbourne (Alene)
Replied by Alene Elbourne (Alene) on topic Obligatory "wear your bug spray and sunscreen" post
Pushing this to the top as a last minute reminder for July.

OOG: Emily Atchison
06 Aug 2016 12:37 #24 by Ketryn Shiverthorn (Ketryn)
BUMP! Have you bathed in lemon eucalyptus and zinc yet?

OOG- Kat B.
  • Andy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 157
06 Aug 2016 14:09 #25 by Andy (Andy)
Replied by Andy (Andy) on topic Obligatory "wear your bug spray and sunscreen" post
Sounds like you want us to marinate us before grilling.

-Sir Hurgar
Knight of Pendarvin

-Andy
Rules Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Belketra Folles (pleasantexample), Mantel (sigma-j), Ergos (arieslink)
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
06 Aug 2016 21:23 #26 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Why else do you think Valos burns us if we don't soak ourselves in all of those neat minerals and oils?

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

• Angeliana
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • "Followers of Andorra believe foremost in the power of redemption, and that far better than a slain or imprisoned foe is a foe that turns from the path of evil and becomes good."
  • Thank Yous: 364
11 Aug 2016 12:51 #27 by Angeliana (Angeliana)
Replied by Angeliana (Angeliana) on topic Obligatory "wear your bug spray and sunscreen" post
If anyone forgets to bring them, or doesn't like the store bought stuff, I will have "Don't bug me" all natural spray bug repellent at marketfaire for sale. It has the following essential oils: Lavender, Tea Tree, Peppermint, Eucalyptus and Lemon to keep away all the creepy crawlies.

I will also have all new, home made and organic sunscreen SPF50+ available for sale in 10oz containers. (Ingredients: Coconut oil, Apricot seed oil, Shea butter, Beeswax, Pure Vitamin E oil, Carrot Essential Oil and Zinc Oxide) I only have 5 of these so reserve them if you'd like one ahead of time please!

Cash or credit (aka OOG currency only please, need it to keep making more :lol: )

Dame Angeliana Himmlisch
The Heart of Winterdark
Healer of Count Sebastien Everest
High Priestess & Champion of Andorra

Alt: D ~ Artist ~ Captain of The Crimson Trident ~