Looking for Leather Care Advice

• Jack Webb
  • Thank Yous: 37
13 Jun 2016 16:19 #1 by Jack Webb (MichaelCantor)
Looking for Leather Care Advice was created by Jack Webb (MichaelCantor)
Howdy Knowledgeable KR Folk,

Having limited experience with leather, I foolishly attempted to clean off some KR related dirt from my leather vest with a damp cloth.

I have since learned that damp and leather are not great friends and I am having a professional repair my blunder.

However, since paying for a professional cleaning after every brush with KR dirt would quickly land me in the poor-house, I was hoping that I could solicit some advice from the community on how to keep my stylish leather Larp-ready.

Thanks in advance!

OOG: Michael C.
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
13 Jun 2016 16:46 #2 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Looking for Leather Care Advice
This is for boots, but should apply to any soft leather products - you can replace their branded products with generic care ones (Saddle Soap, Leather Oil, etc.) from Amazon or your local pharmacy or grocery store.

sonofsandlar.com/care-handling/

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Jack Webb (MichaelCantor), Nashgoth Vaar Granok (moyamoya)
13 Jun 2016 17:43 #3 by Chris McKenzie (cgmckenzie)
Replied by Chris McKenzie (cgmckenzie) on topic Looking for Leather Care Advice
Leather is easy enough to care for. Everything can be picked up in the shoe care section of a Walmart or at a shoe repair store.

Basically, clean the dirt off, then treat. Neatsfoot oil is what I use for my larp boots, but polish can also work (provided it is a polishable leather and not suede).

Fake leather doesn't really need to be treated, just clean it and you'll be fine.

-Chris

OOG: Chris
IG: Benjamin Daimler
IG: Grobspit Snaggletooth G.D.S
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Jack Webb (MichaelCantor)
  • Kirsten
  • Thank Yous: 105
13 Jun 2016 19:57 #4 by Kirsten (Lotano)
Replied by Kirsten (Lotano) on topic Looking for Leather Care Advice
Is your costume leather or suede?

Leather should have been fine with a damp cloth. Leaving it wet is no bueno - wipe with a damp cloth, you can use saddle soap, dry thoroughly. Use mink oil to water proof (for boots).

Suede however does not like water at all. For suede, brush it with a soft bristled brush, then apply layers of waterproofing/scotchguard made specifically for suede (can be found in most shoe stores or even the shoe section at walmart).

Test all products on a small inconspicuous part of the leather to make sure it does not alter color/finish of your garment/shoes/etc...

Emeline Patterson
Knight of Alisandria

Kirsten
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Jack Webb (MichaelCantor)
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • No matter where I go. It all traces back to the Mountain.
  • Thank Yous: 226
13 Jun 2016 20:57 #5 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Replied by Mantel (sigma-j) on topic Looking for Leather Care Advice
On the topic of leather care, a very sentimental piece for me, a leather satchel, with a braided strap, completely fell apart (read: The shoulderstrap snapped) under the pressure of the weather.

Any ideas on repair?

Mantel Warrane (AWz., QMA; AM, WSS)
Grand Librarian Emeritus, Darkwood Academy of the Metaphysical Arts
Professor Emeritus of Weave Studies, Darkwood Academy
Warden of the Keep, Allied Territory of Corvancia

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
  • Jack Webb
  • Thank Yous: 37
13 Jun 2016 23:19 #6 by Jack Webb (MichaelCantor)
Replied by Jack Webb (MichaelCantor) on topic Looking for Leather Care Advice
Thanks for the advice all!
My stuff is real leather (not suede) so that should make it easier to take care of.

I'm going to go ahead and grab a leather care kit per your advice and (hopefully) be able to enjoy my vest for some time to come.

Altitis, good luck with your satchel (knowing nothing about leather repair, my only advice there would be to find a professional and ask for a repair quote).

OOG: Michael C.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.464 seconds