Fighter Pratice/Potluck Cook Out- LABOR DAY WEEKEND (3-4 September, 2016)

• JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lad... Never hit if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting.... But if ye have to hit, never hit soft
  • Thank Yous: 537
12 Jul 2016 10:58 #1 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
The Next Fighter Practice/Pot Luck is scheduled for Labor Day Weekend (September 3-5) The actual days are that Saturday (9/3) into Sunday (9/4) but as usual, things extend into the late afternoon of Sunday.

Full address is 1735 Running Deer Drive, Auburn PA 17922

As the address is in a Gated Community (Lake Wynonah), we will be needing names of drivers coming so we can leave them at the gate. As it is a gated community, it means security not just police so we do need to know who is coming.

If you decide last minute, y'all are going to need to call and one of us will come get you. :)

Due to issues from a previous event, if children under 10 are brought to the event, a PARENT MUST PAY ATTENTION TO CHILD or be relatively aware of child location. Children over ten who are cognizant of the weapons and how to treat them proper are fine.

DOGS of masters who do not have a sitter for them- much like children, if they are WELL BEHAVED, able to be cool with other dogs and such, they are welcome. I do REQUEST those who need to bring their dog with them contact Leslie McCormack (Birgitta Drexel) and have a talk with her on thy puppy; she knows far better than I how well things will work.

We also expect the adults to behave too- folks did at last one and everyone pitched in. Thank you all…

notes on foods and the like:

This is a Pot Luck Cookout... We would like all attendees to contribute something, be it drink, salads, side dishes or primary ones (meats like hotdogs, brats, burgers, chicken, et al). Grill being used is Charcoal but we will try to have the fire ring ready for use too.

Pork products are alright but please let folks know it is- there is at least one person with that for an allergy coming (and yes- she's hateful of it. She misses bacon...) and for all I know, there are others who have the same problem. So please ID the food item if it has pork in it.

ANY dish being brought that requires an oven, please advise us. As our kitchen does not have much in the way of space, major cooking endeavors inside are difficult with the expected traffic on the day of. If you are coming early (aka, day before), this is not as much a problem.

If you have a cooler to bring that can help hold the beverages, please bring. We have two but more helpful

Reminder- we do recycle and adult beverages are allowed. I am asking folks wait until the fighting portion is done for the day or if you are done fighting. If you plan on drinking, plan on staying for a while- more on this below.

Under 21 will be identified.... Sorry guys but the laws in PA are fairly clear on who gets in trouble for it.

On the Fighting Practice and the Rules Training:

Please bring your weapons! You do not need to bring armor; this is all sparring and learning how to handle weapons you have and gain confidence in them... and learning how to use stuff you want to use some day for a future PC is a good idea. With the SHEER number of various weapons available for use, there is very little that is unavailable for trying.

(ie: just because you can use a 1 hander does not mean you can you do a 2 hander. Or a polearm...)

All training will be done with weapon safety in mind and the KR style of fighting will be taught to new players who need the training and for vets, it’s a good time to brush up on skills.

Rules updates will be gone over- there WILL be various marshals in attendance so questions can be answered in the best and most accurate possible fashion.

Learning the changes and understanding how stuff works, is part of the reason for all this and having a relaxed setting to do it in is just a plus.

IF YOU ARE A NEW PLAYER, please come! This household is full of excellent fighters of the majority of the disciplines used in game and if we do not know it, there will be someone who does here. As stated above, there will be many marshals (Rules, New Player, etc) attending so it’s a good time to get them questions in for the same reasons as above.

We are NEW PLAYER FRIENDLY as well as veteran friendly. :)

On overnighting:

This house has space for tents and we have a large amount of indoor space. As proven at the Spring Event, we can sleep A LOT of people here….

However, we really would prefer folks have tents so if they wish to turn in for night, noise and people will not interfere much. We also insist if you come from a great distance, you stay overnight as we have lost friends to tired driving.

Much prefer you “crash” out here rather than crashing on the road. Period.
For those overnighting, Breakfast is cooked in the morning- it is usually Eggs in the form of an omelets but non-omelet can be accomidated.

Food Stores:
There are a few placed nearby enough to pick up items on the way here. The nearest three places are Giant Supermarket in the Cressonia Mall (at top of Rt 183- about 9 miles/20 minutes away), Walmart (14 miles/ 25 minutes) over by the Cabela’s and the Redner’s Market in Hamburg (28 minutes/ 16 miles) & Schulykill Haven (15 minutes/6 miles out back gate)

There is a Martins Farm Market right out the gate and north a little ways on 183. The market is open 7am to 5pm and has some tasty stuff (especially if you like odd jams and sauces). There is also a Dollar General a half mile-ish north of Martin’s.

Portions for 6 to 10 people is a solid standard to go by; if you wish to bring more as some did last event, we are fine with that. It will get eaten…

Beverage places:
For non-adult beverages, there is the Dollar General and the food stores mentioned above. For the Adult type stuff, there is the Beer Shak near Martin’s (excellent variety of beers to include alcoholic rootbeer) and Fieldwood Winery, a whole 10 minutes/3.7 miles away. Their prices are awesomely reasonable…

Rules stand.... if you are drinking, you are staying. :)

Smokers:
I know quite a few of us smoke (hell, I do!)…. And there is a few among us who do not. We will have butt-cans put in specific areas for those who smoke and out of respect for those who have trouble with smoke, we ask that y’all check with the group before you light up.

That said… there is absolutely NO Smoking in the house, period.

IC conversations:
IC conversations between players is fine. While FB is useful for such, in person stuff is better. Obviously no cards are available but if nothing else, we are a place to conduct that business deal… There will be places for private conversations to happen if needed- plenty of property and no one says you cannot go for a walk. Dogs always need walking…

The small scenes are Encouraged...

Tent Space and Parking:
We have space available for tents and the neighbor across from us has offered some space as well.
The neighbor has also offered space for parking…. And if we run out of that space, there is space down the road to use. Not that I need to say it with you guys but if you are across the road for tenting, please be mindful of trash you might generate.

We absolutely need to know who is coming no later than Thursday Evening for hassle-free entry into Lake Wynonah as the list goes to Security on the Thursday before. Otherwise, you need to contact us via text message or phone for entry or security will need to call us so we can come get you.

Security is aware of these events and they have been impressed with how polite you guys have been- please keep it up.

PM me via Facebook or here for my number.

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Templar-High Priest of Brazen
Chaplain, Bloodspirits Mercenary Company

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brunner Von Ritter (Martin Bridge), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lad... Never hit if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting.... But if ye have to hit, never hit soft
12 Jul 2016 11:01 #2 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
I know its Dragon Con Weekend and I am sorry this event clashes with that one- I base the date on this event on what is a week to two weeks before an event weekend... and with August being crazy (event, pocono work weekend and then family event), this was only weekend available.

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Arkelian
  • Thank Yous: 37
12 Jul 2016 13:14 #3 by Arkelian (TheRevenantHero)
Replied by Arkelian (TheRevenantHero) on topic Fighter Pratice/Potluck Cook Out- LABOR DAY WEEKEND (3-4 September, 2016)
Damn it. Another fighter practice I have to miss :( I have another larp that weekend.

"Always follow me family's motto. The MacTiernan family motto is: Stop it!"

Arkelian MacTiernan, red dragoon who occasionally gets incredibly rage filled.

OOG: Cameron H.
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • No matter where I go. It all traces back to the Mountain.
  • Thank Yous: 226
13 Jul 2016 00:53 #4 by Mantel (sigma-j)
I should be making it to this one, just have to check with potential rides closer to the actual event.

Looking forward to it! I've been practicing basic arming sword for a couple weeks now, and would love to see someone else's input on it.

Mantel Warrane (AWz., QMA; AM, WSS)
Grand Librarian Emeritus, Darkwood Academy of the Metaphysical Arts
Professor Emeritus of Weave Studies, Darkwood Academy
Warden of the Keep, Allied Territory of Corvancia

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
01 Aug 2016 08:07 #5 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
This is now about a month out.

Remember this is a new player friendly event and please read the blurb. I need info for the security folks by the Thursday before so there is seamless entry into our community for folks.

Hope to see y’all here!

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
  • Wili
  • Thank Yous: 206
04 Aug 2016 15:13 #6 by Wili ()
Replied by Wili () on topic Fighter Pratice/Potluck Cook Out- LABOR DAY WEEKEND (3-4 September, 2016)
Not sure if I can make it yet, but go ahead and put me on the gate list :)

Wilindé Aläciel
AKA Wili
Blackbird Manager Extraordinaire

OOG-Kelley Commeford
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
16 Aug 2016 19:25 #7 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
two and a half weeks to go!!!

Again, please let us know if you are coming and what you intend on contributing to the party.

We have plenty of parking and a neighbor offered some of his yard for tents so we have gobs of space. We had 43 attendees last time, lets see if we surpass it this time!

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
17 Aug 2016 10:55 - 17 Aug 2016 10:55 #8 by Thalia Burdorn (abbyl)
Planning on being there. Probably (yay) with the fiance! WIll bring some drinkables <3

Thalia Stonebar Burdorn
Consul of Kaladonia
Warden of the Phocus
Ambassador to Calasvorin
Manager, Dragon's Claw Inn;

OOG: Abby Leib
Last edit: 17 Aug 2016 10:55 by Thalia Burdorn (abbyl).
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
23 Aug 2016 10:08 #9 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
A little over 10 days out...

A clarification for those unsure- this is an OPEN Invite event. The only fee, as it were, is bringing something to share with folks. Does not have to be massive amounts... just bring something to share. :)

New Players, Old Players and those in between. :)

Please let me know you are coming prior to Thursday September 1st so I can ensure ease of entry into the community. Also let us know what y'all are bringing.

Thanks much!

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
28 Aug 2016 10:57 #10 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
6 Days Out!!!

Open Invite event
New and Old Players welcome.
Bring some food and/or drink to contribute.
Bring a tent if overnighting- breakfast in the am on Sunday.
Bring your weapons
RP is welcome to happen- some neat scenes have occurred at these events and such is encouraged.

If you don't know what to bring, ask. :)

Contact Forest, Leslie or myself so we know who is coming!

All entry is via Rt 183 gate (Rt 183 is exit 19 off Route 78)

Look Forward to seeing folks here!

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
01 Sep 2016 08:52 #11 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Two Days!

This should be a good event and I encourage folks to RSVP.

As a reminder, this is an OPEN event meant for people to come have fun ,try stuff and talk KR.

If you are coming, please let me know!!

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.616 seconds