Bracing Ourselves for What's Next

• Terzak
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Tell me, thief, do you know anything about MAGIC?
  • Thank Yous: 154
12 Jul 2016 22:31 #1 by Terzak (TheArchMage)
Bracing Ourselves for What's Next was created by Terzak (TheArchMage)
Hi guys!

Upon reading the past few prologues and epilogues, I've realized that this event is going to have a much bigger impact on the world of Arawyn than usual. With that in mind, my friends and I have decided to [strike]brutally combat each other[/strike] train via boffer sparring multiple times over the course of the next eight or so days. Any recommendations as for how? I have a bit of variety in terms of weapon collection, so we will be able to fight against each other using almost every fighting style in the KR collection (if only I knew how to make polearms better than a staff), but I'm not sure what exactly we would practice. One on one sparring? Small scale tactics? Lots of sprinting? [strike]Ignoring all that and just playing Pokemon GO?[/strike]

By my hand,
Professor Terzak Winstonshire

OOG: Will Harrington
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lad... Never hit if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting.... But if ye have to hit, never hit soft
  • Thank Yous: 537
12 Jul 2016 23:34 #2 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Replied by JTinney (Swordsaint) on topic Bracing Ourselves for What's Next
Best bet is to watch some of the videos on the different fighting styles... and make a point to better your control over the given weapon types you wish to know and use.

1v1, 1v2, 2v2, etc etc... Emphasis on Form and Defense are best bets. if you and your friends were closer, I'd say come up this way and work with us here.

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Templar-High Priest of Brazen
Chaplain, Bloodspirits Mercenary Company

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
13 Jul 2016 00:55 #3 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Bracing Ourselves for What's Next
All I can tell you is, the storytelling team is working incredibly hard to put the next event together. Letting you know what to prepare for, would take away from the fun.

That said, have fun and we'll see you guys soon!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Terzak (TheArchMage), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Velius
  • Never walk into a fair fight when walking into an unfair fight is an option.
  • Thank Yous: 76
13 Jul 2016 10:33 - 13 Jul 2016 10:34 #4 by Velius (Velius)
Replied by Velius (Velius) on topic Bracing Ourselves for What's Next
Get out of your comfort zone and practice for situational fighting. Righty? Practice left-handed for when your right arm is broken. Use a 2-hander? Practice blocking with it 1-handed in each hand. Florentine? Fight with only 1 weapon in either hand. Shield? Practice fighting with only your weapon, and then with only your shield (active blocking so you can retreat/hold a line, not shield bashing). Wear a dagger for decoration? Learn to fight a battle with it because it might be the only thing you have left. Wear armor? Practice in it and out if it and learn what you can and can't do in each.

Learning to fight with weapons when everything goes right is important. It's knowing how to fight when everything goes wrong that will save your life.

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

"I don't always NPC. But when I do, it's for years at a time."
Last edit: 13 Jul 2016 10:34 by Velius (Velius).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terzak (TheArchMage), Mantel (sigma-j), Alene Elbourne (Alene)
13 Jul 2016 17:54 #5 by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf)
Replied by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf) on topic Bracing Ourselves for What's Next
Besides just training on using weapon styles, I recommend physical training as well, focusing mainly on physical endurance and cardio. We're probably going to fight for a long time, so being able to keep up is always good. As for fighting styles, footwork is invaluable. Knowing how to move on the battlefield is helpful. And it never hurts to keep on getting better at what you're good at. If you are good at florentine, practice it often so you can be better. Sometimes, it's not about how to adapt on the fly and do something you're not used to, but how to use your tools and your skills to survive and win.

Kanas Silverfang

OOG: Jeremy Schwartz
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • No matter where I go. It all traces back to the Mountain.
  • Thank Yous: 226
14 Jul 2016 00:49 #6 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Replied by Mantel (sigma-j) on topic Bracing Ourselves for What's Next
Casters are not omitted from needing practice! Dust off the spackets and toss them at targets! Throw spackets while you're in motion! Find a practice buddy and throw spackets at them in motion! Have them attack you: duck and dodge while calling your verbals! Work on your quick draw for spackets and scrolls!

Look at your card regularly! Memorize how many of each of your most-used spell combos you can use before you're spent. Know your body total! That goes to everyone! Memorize your tags, defensive or offensive!

If you plan on attending masses, or any other event where you expect to get buffs, remember that you have those buffs marked on your card when you get them! Can't remember how many times mass prayer shield could have helped me out of a pickle. Or the ever-coveted Willpower. Know the rules associated with those too, you need to know them in just as short a pinch as you need those Repels, Evades, or Valances on your card.

Refresh your memory on any of the rules that apply to your card. I look over the rules on casting spells almost weekly, just to make sure I still remember them. Know the rules text on your spells and tag skills, and keep up on the rules forums!

Also: remember to take care of your voice! This goes for warriors and rogues, too! Practice projecting your voice while running, or exerting yourself physically: any military drill song is good for this. Side-note: Also: pay attention to the rhythm of the drill songs. The notes are coordinated to account for when you have the most vocal support while jogging to the rhythm, so get to know what your body feels like at those moments so you can call your spells and skills without losing your breath. Don't just stay hydrated: Keep your mouth and throat hydrated too! Sip water more frequently than you need to drink, and swish occasionally. Your voice box and sinuses require good lubrication, just like any good machine.

Toss your spackets all about in an area, and time how fast you can find them. This is critical, a mage without their spackets is a warrior without their weapons!

Wash your garb and get packing!

Most of all, have fun! Talk it up with friends, maybe get some things straightened out IG. Facebook and missives are your friend there.

Mantel Warrane (AWz., QMA; AM, WSS)
Grand Librarian Emeritus, Darkwood Academy of the Metaphysical Arts
Professor Emeritus of Weave Studies, Darkwood Academy
Warden of the Keep, Allied Territory of Corvancia

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
  • Magnus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In fearful Day, In Raging Night...
  • Thank Yous: 483
21 Jul 2016 11:52 #7 by Magnus (hippy g0th)
Replied by Magnus (hippy g0th) on topic Bracing Ourselves for What's Next
in the future any one in the Wayne area looking to get in shape or just train feel free to reach out to me...

Additionally diet is equally important as training .

Good luck :-)

Matthew Majchrzak

ST

Lord General Magnus

"Not Dead Yet!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
21 Jul 2016 12:56 - 21 Jul 2016 12:56 #8 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Bracing Ourselves for What's Next
I forget I live like 5 minutes from you Matt.

Hit me up. I keep meaning to get started.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 21 Jul 2016 12:56 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.523 seconds