YOU AND THE WEATHER (IMPORTANT)

• Grashügel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Safety Marshal
  • Thank Yous: 241
30 Sep 2016 11:40 - 30 Sep 2016 11:46 #1 by Grashügel (HAZMAT221)
YOU AND THE WEATHER (IMPORTANT) was created by Grashügel (HAZMAT221)
Hello all, my name is Taylor for those of you that do not know me; I am relatively new to KR but love it nonetheless! Under the approval of John Tinney, I am here to talk this month’s event and the weather.

My experiences with Fire/EMS and the nature of my education in Vermont have taught me many things regarding how to properly dress for cold/poor weather scenarios and I would like to share some of that wisdom now. While these suggestions are not mandatory they could help to ensure the enjoyment of this event and most importantly ensure your well being.

The Forecasted temperature for this weekend is in the 50’s and 60’s. Under normal circumstance this would not present a large problem. However, we will be playing in the WET. It is forecasted to rain all weekend and this presents a variety of problems. While many are obvious, the average person does not think about cold weather injuries at the start of Fall. Winter is coming…. but, it is not here yet and that sometimes leads to people letting their guard down to the advances of nature.

It is indeed POSSIBLE to have hypothermia in 50 degree weather when you are wet. This poses a threat to anyone and anything that does not take care of themselves in such conditions. That being said, I want to provide several suggestions on how to properly dress for these conditions.

- The first and one of the most important things to remember is that Cotton “kills” (phrase I learned, merely and exaggeration) While cotton does not “kill” you outright, it can speed up a cold weather injury. Cotton is great in the summer, but it is not suitable for cold/wet conditions. Cotton only holds moisture to your body helping to reduce your core body temperature, it will NOT keep you WARM when wet and you WILL get wet from rain and sweat. Do your best to avoid cotton

- The best alternative to cotton is wool or some type of synthetic fabric. These materials will wick moisture and still keep you warm should they get wet

- Another important thing to remember is how to utilize these materials. The standard is a three layer system composed of your base layer, insulation layer, and your shell. All three are equally important and work in unison with each other.

Base Layer – This is composed of a wicking material that takes the moisture (sweat) off your skin. The sole purpose is to maintain body heat and keep you dry. There are many options available and are usually labeled as cold gear. I also suggest a pair of durable wool socks. It is helpful to get pairs that are designed for large amounts of movement or athletics (this could help to avoid blisters)

Insulation Layer- This layer is designed to generate warmth and help to keep that warmth within your system. This can be carried out in a number of different ways so go crazy with it. Just make sure YOU TRY NOT TO USE COTTON . I suggest fleece and wool as they provide high levels of comfort and warmth. Add layers at your own discretion based on your personal preference or the climate you are in.

Shell Layer- This is by far one of the most important layers as it protects your insulation layer. The shell is composed of a hydrophobic (waterproof) material that will block both water and wind form entering your system. It’s almost like a second skin. By far this is the most difficult layer to incorporate in game being modern garments do not fit our period. For this, I would suggest a treated (hydrophobic spray) wool cloak, a waxed or oiled cloak, or a neutral colored poncho. Also at the end of the day safety not immersion is the most important thing so do what you must. Also this helps to keep you warm by primarily keeping you and your other layers dry and out of the wind.

These layers can be adapted to meet several conditions and can be tailored to your own needs.

ALSO, be sure not to overdress! This is where overheating may become and issue and you can become a heat casualty. Your dress should allow you to be comfortably cool when you are not moving. This ensures that you’re protected while sedentary but not overheating when you are fighting…..or running. Again this is a personal preference, but being comfortably cool while being sedentary is a good rule of thumb.

Be sure to change out of wet clothes and ensure that you bring enough extras to keep yourself relatively dry throughout the event.

Be mindful of yourself and your limits and keep an eye on your fellow Players

Here are some symptoms to keep an eye out for

Mild hypothermia
• Shivering
• Dizziness
• Hunger
• Nausea
• Faster breathing
• Trouble speaking
• Slight confusion
• Lack of coordination
• Fatigue
• Increased heart rate

Moderate to severe hypothermia
• Shivering, although as hypothermia worsens, shivering stops
• Clumsiness or lack of coordination
• Slurred speech or mumbling
• Confusion and poor decision-making, such as trying to remove warm clothes
• Drowsiness or very low energy
• Lack of concern about one's condition
• Progressive loss of consciousness
• Weak pulse
• Slow, shallow breathing

Someone with hypothermia usually isn't aware of his or her condition because the symptoms often begin gradually. Also, the confused thinking associated with hypothermia prevents self-awareness. The confused thinking can also lead to risk-taking behavior.

It is also important to note colors and feeling of someone’s extremities, face area, and anything exposed.

Rosy cheeks, discoloration, lack of color, loss of feeling or sensitivity are all early signs of a cold weather injury.

Should you yourself feel or see someone with these symptoms get them inside immediately but carefully and contact a safety marshal. It is important not to take drastic movements as this can lead to shock which can be deadly. Once inside, carefully remove wet articles of clothing and wrap the person in dry blankets. Avoid hot beverages and food as this can also lead to shock. Should a safety marshal rule hypothermia, an ambulance would most likely have to be called.

This is unlikely, but it is possible so stay vigilant.

All in all, I hope this information proves to be useful to anyone that wishes to follow it. I know that many veteran players have their own ways of keeping war and safe, but it is never bad to have a reminder.

To all new players I hope this info finds you well and that it helps prepare you for this and future events.
If I missed anything, John Tinney would most likely add on. Also, should you have questions feel free to contact him or myself.
DON’T FORGET TO HYDRATE!!

Overall, let’s have a great time this weekend!....... and also try not to “IG” get killed .

Taylor

Taylor Meise
Last edit: 30 Sep 2016 11:46 by Grashügel (HAZMAT221). Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: geezer (geezer), JTinney (Swordsaint), Eden Heimdell (amalthea), Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Beinion (Beardy McFeatherbow) Thallor (Kevin G.), Wili (), Mantel (sigma-j), Cara Easton (Raeelle), Ergos (arieslink), Seth (Kurteth), Daggerfist (prawnbait)
  • Grashügel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Safety Marshal
  • Thank Yous: 241
02 Nov 2016 09:15 #2 by Grashügel (HAZMAT221)
Replied by Grashügel (HAZMAT221) on topic YOU AND THE WEATHER (IMPORTANT)
Just giving this topic a bump. The information will certainly apply to the cold weather

While the forecast doesn't call for rain this weekend (thankfully) temps may possibly drop below freezing during the night time. Keep an eye out for those cold weather injuries and remember that you'll most likely sweat which means you'll most likely be wet. Change out those layers accordingly especially socks (wool or wool blend is the best). Feel free to ask John Tinney or I any questions you may have.

Taylor Meise
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
02 Nov 2016 11:57 #3 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic YOU AND THE WEATHER (IMPORTANT)
We'll have a few wool coats in the Barracks if you'd like to borrow one or see someone shivering.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Grashügel (HAZMAT221)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.462 seconds