Travance Chronicle

• Portia
  • Thank Yous: 2
02 Feb 2010 11:49 #1 by Portia (estark01)
Travance Chronicle was created by Portia (estark01)
[size=25pt]TRAVANCE CHRONICLE[/size]
Jan. 1210
-- Collected by Portia Rom
"If it bleeds, it leads."

[size=20pt]CRIME WAVE SWEEPS TRAVANCE[/size]
[size=18pt]The triple threat of so-called  'Shantytown Shanker,' 'Dress-up Bandits,' and Necromancer Clown plagues town.[/size]

Return of the Shantytown Shanker?

A dead man was found in the so-called “Shantytown” sleeping area inside the Dragon’s Claw Inn was found on Sunday, according to Lethias Von Ritter. The Chronicle has been unable to find out much about the incident; the man’s identity is unknown, although the weapon used to murder him, a wooden dagger, has been recovered.

Citizens residing in Shantytown attributed the alleged murder to the old legend of the “Shantytown Shanker.” Hundreds of years ago, according to the legend, a small town sat on the site of Travance that was possibly called Shantytown or something similar. That Shantytown reportedly had a town square occupied the space that is now The Dragon’s Claw Inn. At this point, the various versions of the legend diverge. One version has the townsfolk stabbed one by one in their beds by the Shantytown Shanker, while a different version states that a murderer set fire to the place.

Jonas Kane, esteemed proprietor of The Dragon’s Claw Inn called the story “nonsense,” and claimed the alleged murder was “a trick from a local gang or some such to intimidate business away from my inn.”

For his part, Lethias believes that rumors of the Shantytown Shanker are due to “newer members [of town] jumping to conclusions over the nickname of their sleeping quarters.”

Furthermore, it’s unclear whether any murder actually took place. The captain of the town guard, Shalok, said he had seen “no evidence” of any murders, but added, “I do care for the sanity of our citizens.” He intends to station a guardsman in Shantytown during the next feast as a precautionary measure.

A Forced Fashion Faux Pas

One of the strangest crime waves in this town's history continued in January, as a band of miscreants subdued at least 10 citizens, forced them into dresses, and then magically or psionically coerced the victims to extol the gowns. Victims were forced to say, “I love my new dress,” “Oh, so pretty,” and other similar phrases.

In November, at least four members of town reported similar incidents. None of the victims were robbed or otherwise harmed, and all managed to recover their senses within an hour of the attacks. However, the so-called “Dress-up Bandits” remain at large, with victims unable to agree on what the perpetrators look like, or even how many there are.

There has been no word yet on whether the dresses were of the latest fashion, or last season’s bargain holdovers.

Unfunny

Reports have surfaced of a strange necromancer in clown make-up about the area, although the Chronicle has heard little else.

[size=16pt]MAN GETS OLD BODY BACK[/size]

Travance helped return a young man, Garret, return to his true body last month, defeating the black sorcerer Julian.

The young Garret arrived in Travance inside an old body, claiming that Julian had performed a dark ritual to switch their bodies.

Julian obtained knowledge of the ritual by ordering a hit on the elderly couple of Montaron “Montey” Dosryn and wife Celeste, newcomers to Travance. With the Dosryns dead, Julian was able to obtain the journal they carried, a journal that detailed the body-switching ritual.

Working from Garret’s memory of the ritual, the town gathered the relevant spell components, and finally, raided Julian’s outpost, which an eyewitness described as “truly a sight to behold. An entire fortress where none had been the day before, its walls and gates constructed of raw black sorcery energies.” After a long battle, the town recovered the journal and returned Garret’s body to him.

[size=16pt]
Khitanian Knights Seek Artifact
[/size]

The mysterious ship that has been moored at the Dreage’mirian harbor for some months is evidently full of a sect of noble Khitanian knights.  The knights, called the Ku’Nai, specialize in hunting Oni, a type of abyssal monster, and have reportedly been sent to Travance to recover an artifact.

It’s unclear what the artifact is, what it does, whether it is in Travance, or why and how it might have arrived here. Likewise, little is known of the Ku’Nai, who appear to be particularly sensitive to matters of politeness, and who reportedly wish to hold palaver with the Baron. Evidently, a noble clain sent them here in the wake of some undisclosed Khitanian political wranglings.

How many Ku’Nai are parked off the Dreage’mirian coast? A source close to events tells the Chronicle “there are 'enough' with more waiting out at sea.” Aside from showing their docking papers and paying their slip fee, Dreage’mire has not heard from the Ku’Nai, Knight-Protector Apollo said.

[size=16pt]
GET EDGE
[/size]
Listen Blade!
By Blade

Last feast cold. Blade buy scarf. First Blade thing scarf silly for Ogre.  Now me think no scarf silly thing for Ogre. Get scarf! 

This feast cold too! Was snow, now Ice, you fall! Blade say take Ice and hide ice in cave. Then when hot, you have cold cave! And Blade no fall on Ice since you take away! Blade like when me win, and not mind you win too... mostly like when me win... so you go! Get ice, hide in cave!  You thank Blade in few months, maybe buy really good cigar!

[size=16pt]ME KNOW[/size]

Advice by Blade

Dear Blade,

Many folks in Travance thinks I am Khitanese. I am not. I don't find offense with this, but the idea is confusing. My teacher was Khitanese, so maybe I might have picked up his mannerisms. However, I don't look like any of the Khitanese in town. What should I do to make people realize I am not Khitanese instead of repeating it over and over?

Signed,
Not Turning Khitanese, I really think so.

Not turning Khitanese,

Me no get.  What Khitanese?  Me sound out like Lethias teach, sounds like Kitten and Ease... me think you mean cat people me see sometimes in town.  Me think people should see you no have fur and no think you cat person.  Me check what you mean.

Blade back, sorry you wait.  Me learn Khitanese not cat people.  Them call Kiterian, me think someone mess up naming!  What next? Human and Humerese?  So me think on this more and me figure you look all humans, and all humans look you.  Me think that when you think you not Khitanese, you think you not gypsanese, you not coast havenese, you not human?  Khitanese people look like humans, all me see not like is them dress funny.  Maybe you dress funny?  Me look at all Khitanese and me think you now dress badly and hate tea, and no one confuse you anymore.

Though me not know why you so not want to turn Khitanese?  Me not know why them can't turn themselves?  You give Khitanese person turn, maybe them like you, maybe them buy you cigar!  Blade say this weekend all Khitanese who need to turn ask Blade, free turn with each cigar!

Blade Cigar List
Cigar Name            Cost in Gold
Quorum              1
Maroma Robusto          2 
Rafael Gonzalez Robusto                    5 
Creme De Jamaica Robusto                  10
Conuco Robusto                      15
Rocky Patel Honduran Classic Robusto  15
CAO Cx2 Rob                      20
Cruz Real Robusto Sumatra                  25
Plasencia Reserva Organica Robusto  30
Blade Cigar      You Get Broken Limb

_______

[size=16pt]Shantytown a Solid Bet at The Dragon’s Claw[/size]

Between marauding elementals and drunken Celts, a good night’s sleep can be hard to find during the Baronial feasts, but with a sound pair of ear stoppers, and an extra blanket, the accommodations at The Dragon’s Claw Inn: Shantytown are surprisingly comfortable.

Jonas Kane, proprietor of The Dragon’s Claw, donated the downstairs bunks, dubbed “Shantytown” by residents, to the community of Travance. Any who wish to sleep in them may do so free of charge.

Separated from the inn’s common room by a thin partition, Shantytown contains tens of customers packed into bunks and mattresses and crammed into a long, narrow space. The bunks are first-come, first-served -- it’s best to show up before the weekend rush if you want to claim a bunk. The arrangement isn’t a quiet one, so come prepared with beeswax for your ears, although what Shantytown lacks in comfort, it makes up in safety, providing the Chronicle with the only uninterrupted night’s sleep she’s had since arriving in Travance.

Grog-swilling warrior generally dispatch hordes of goblins, ash rats, etc. before they can attack sleeping Shantytowners, although it never hurts to have a friend or neighbor throw up some sort of shield around you before bed. The upstairs quarters may be quieter and more spacious, but they are also notably less secure, as all manner of beasties routinely target those rooms throughout the night.

Shantytown would have received four quills out of five, if breaking news of the alleged “Shantytown Shanker” hadn’t called the area’s security into question. But for a cheap-as-free nightly price, and with a stout pair of ear-corks, Shantytown at The Dragon’s Claw Inn is an unbeatable budget bet.

Rating: 3 Quills out of 5.

___
Put some zip in your lip and pep in your step with Portia’s Pickles, available at Market Faire
____

[size=16pt]
Better Know your Neighbor: Zahir ibn Hatim al Nawar
[/size]

The Chancellor of Trade...

Zahir ibn Hatim al Nawar never wanted to be the Hon. Chancellor of Trade. Rather, his tenure as the esteemed chancellor was imposed as a punishment. Three years ago, the demon Legion possessed Zahir using a sentient sort of disease that absorbs the strength of the infected. While under the influence of the dread beast, Zahir regrettably consumed five or six families before Father Haroldson was able to exorcise the demon from Zahir and return him to normal. Unfortunately for al-Nawar, the memories of the gruesome deeds he committed while infected with Legion remained vivid.

Despite the Baron’s unwillingness to punish Zahir for crimes beyond his control, Zahir insisted on a penalty. After a Lord’s meeting, the verdict came down: Zahir was sentenced to become Chancellor of Trade and serve the Barony in that capacity for some time.

The Bounty Hunter

Zahir’s moral rectitude and strong sense of what he calls “Bedouin Justice” derive from his upbringing among the Sand Tiger tribe of the desert. Al-Nawar first arrived in Travance to deliver a letter to the Tellinghast clan on behalf of his father, whom the Tellinghasts once saved. Al-Nawar, the oldest of 35 children, had been tapped to lead the Sand Tigers after his father passed on.

In order to pay his way to Travance, Al-Nawar accepted a bounty from a neighboring tribe that was searching for a girl who had been kidnapped 20 years before. Al-Nawar was able to find and rescue Amira from the sinister Amen-Set tribe, but felt he couldn’t return her to her tribe because the years of captivity at the hands of Amen-Set had scarred her. Al-Nawar brought her to Travance, in hopes that someone might be able to heal her.

Since becoming a cleric of Brazen, al-Nawar has given up bounty hunting.

The Prodigal Son

Years ago, during a battle, al-Nawar died. At the time, he was not aware of resurrection, and his sister reported his death to the tribe. When it became clear that al-Nawar had, in fact, been raised from the dead, the Sand Tigers saw him as an abomination, but thanks to his father’s pleading, al-Nawar was not killed, but merely banished from the lands of his people.

All was not well among the Sand Tigers. Al-Nawar’s uncle managed to undermine the leadership of Zahir’s father, and to return the Sand Tigers from their current practice of treating women as equals back to the old misogynist ways.

Despite his exile, Al-Nawar ventured back to the land of the Sand Tigers when word of his father’s death reached him. After he was captured and beaten, members of the tribe still sympathetic to his family helped him escape. In return, al-Nawar’s uncle sent assassins after him, assassins whom Zahir quickly cut down to size…by about 8 inches.

And ladies, the charming and charmingly situated al-Nawar is currently available and considering marrying one or more wives.

________

This edition of the Travance Chronicle has been generously sponsored by Father Edwin Haroldson, of the church of Valos.

Portia "Nosy McGee" Rom, Chroniclerite
  • Thank Yous: 2
04 Feb 2010 15:34 #2 by Portia (estark01)
Replied by Portia (estark01) on topic Travance Chronicle
[size=20pt]Travance Chronicle Xtra![/size]

[size=16pt]Murder In Shantytown Confirmed[/size]

An anonymous source has contacted the Chronicle confirming the recent alleged murder in Shantytown. The source owned that the Shantytown Shanker is "a myth" but called the murder in The Dragon's Claw Inn "very real," adding, "I personally saw the body, held the murder weapon, and tracked the murderer back near the inn. Not a single member of the town guard was present while the body was found so I took the matter into my own hands. While hot on the murderers [sic] trail guards members took control of the situation and the hunt soon fizzled into nothing and was forgotten."

The identity of the source is unknown, and as such his or her report could not be independently confirmed, but given the nature of the crime and the volume of people potentially affected, the Chronicle elected to publish this account.

More developments as they become known...

Portia

Portia "Nosy McGee" Rom, Chroniclerite